Changing Tire Size - 205/55/16 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to get tires for an '06 Cobalt LT in the future (before either inspection in July or next winter).

The stock size the car came with is 205/55/16. As I understand, the LT and the LS model also came with a 195/60/15 option. I've been debating switching the size when I buy to either the 195/60/15 or was considering (not sure if this is a reasonable option) 185/65/15 to save some cash (and the wheels that on there now are pretty beat up).

Looks like the speedometer and odometer would be closer to what's on there now with 185/65/15 over the 195 option (not 100% sure what tire size the car is calibrated to) but I am wondering if:
1. 185/65/15 is too much of a change in size to the handling of the car?
2. 195/60/15 are worth it to save some cash versus the potential impact on handling?

Not driven overly aggressive but will be a daily commuter.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it strictly from a load rating perspective. You should never go down in load rating. All 185/65/15 and 195/60/15 tires have a lower load rating than 205/55/16 tires.

Also, 205/55/16 is a very common size and tires are pretty cheap in this size. Not sure you'll be saving much by going down to something in 15" size.

Sorry I had a typo in my OP stating 195/65/15 once - I meant 195/60/15, updated to 195/60/15 - just wanted to call it out to cut any confusion.

My old Mazda used 195/60/15s and at the time, they were far cheaper than 205/55s. I'd go with whatever's on sale at the time (but not going down to 185 - that's a bit skinny).

I wouldn't think twice about going to any one of the sizes on the door sticker. Also I don't see the problem going even to a 185/65R15 as the load rating can be the same as the 195/60R15.
You won't notice anything significant in normal driving, and if it feels a bit mushy, bump the pressure a couple pounds.
There are probably more differences in tire performance levels in the same size across different tire types and brands, than there is between the two sizes in the same tire line.
I would assume a skinnier tire should be a bit quieter as well, but maybe Capriracer has some insight on that.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wouldn't think twice about going to any one of the sizes on the door sticker.

I guess that's the key question: does his door sticker list any of these sizes that he's considering?

185/65-15 are same load and speed rating as 195/60-15. I switch between the two for winter and summer.

Despite the fact that speed and load are the same, no tire shop will go within 50 feet of the car with the 185s on

Originally Posted By: Miller88
185/65-15 are same load and speed rating as 195/60-15. I switch between the two for winter and summer.

Despite the fact that speed and load are the same, no tire shop will go within 50 feet of the car with the 185s on

I run 185/65's for winter too, but no one here gives them a second look.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wouldn't think twice about going to any one of the sizes on the door sticker.

I guess that's the key question: does his door sticker list any of these sizes that he's considering?

Door sticker is 205/55/16.

---

As I understand it the LTs came with two sizes, 195/60/15(likely the steelie size) and 205/55/16 was the upgrade size/option (maybe another Cobalt owner can confirm/deny this). I didn't think there was much (if any) weight difference between the base/LS model and the upgrade LT model(s). In my past experience, the upgraded models are often the options if you want the power locks/windows, maybe to get the sunroof or something along those lines.

Not trying to convince anyone/justify my logic here (if it ends up being a bad idea, that's fine, not trying to compromise safety for what I save in $$) but one of the things going through my mind is there are 3 other cars in the family that could easily take the 15 inch sizes above (Saturn SL2 - 185/65/15 is equipped, 195/60/15 was an optional size; 99 Cavalier - 195/65/15; and an 06 Cobalt LS which has 195/60/15) so I was thinking keeping everything in the 15 inch similar might have an advantage.

195/60/15s vs the 205/55/16s based on what I priced seem to save between $80 and $100, nothing that will break the bank if its not a good option, but a few bucks. More of my motivation is around the compatibility with other stuff in the family.

Add: Also, I am sort of curious if the LT might be calibrated for 195/60/15s already. I remember reading (about a different Chevy model all together) that the speedometer/odometer are actually set for the original stock size, I've been poking around for info but have yet to find anything conclusive one way or the other.

Last edited:
I just bough some Hankook ventus V2 for $70 bucks for the Honda fit in 185-55r16 83H. No report yet.
Ive just see FALKEN Zeix even cheaper around this size and had good luck with Falken in the past on my Zuk Aerio Sx, tjough I just wanted a better mileage than the criminally miserable, One year serviceI got out of the O.E. Dunlop sport 7000.

I'm seeing a lot of 185/65/15s with an 88 load rating which is within static of the 89 of 205/55/16s.

Yeah it's lower but...

when you go skinny and get a taller sidewall funny stuff happens and gains load rating. Sigh, not quite enough, unless OPs B-pillar decal specs an
Check out what they were putting on the base saturn ions that year; they shared a platform and lug pattern.

I think there is no actual difference in safety between the proper 15" size for the Cobalt and the 16" size your sticker says, given GM outfitted both those tires to the same car... Personally I would just bring in the 15" rims off the car and have them mount up your tires, and pocket your $100 for something more important, becase you have better odds of winning the lottery IMO, than any negative consequences...

I believe that you are correct because my Cobalt LT has the 205/55/R16 and my Cobalt LS has the steel wheels and hubcaps has the 195/60R15 tires on it. Between the two I really think that the 195/60R15 on the LS ride slightly better but it could be the brand of tires. However, the 16 inch aluminum wheels and 205/55/R16 tires are much better looking on the car.

Personaly, I'd stay with the 205-55-16 since you already have the wheels. Buying new/used wheels and 195-65-15 may in fact cost you more money OTD.

The tires available in the 205-55-16 is vast and you can get a really good tire for your car that will not only help it ride/handle really nice along with(possibly) better MPG and, you can buy'em at a really good price with a little online searching and the help of members here
smile.gif

And, the 205-55-16 will just look better on the car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sonataman
I'd go 205-60-16 or 205-65-16 to get a little less rpm and maybe a little more mpg.

I like doing this myself but, the OP needs to make sure everything fits in the wheel wells and the tires aren't rubbing against the shocks/struts/towers.

And, even though you(Sonataman) and I may know this, others may not! The car owner needs to know about the speedometer error and take this into account when traveling.

smile.gif

CB

Last edited:
OK, the reason you are considering this change is:

a) Cheaper tires

b) Beat up wheels

a) Well the difference in cost of tires isn't all that great. At most you might be able to save $100 on a set of 4, but then you have to buy wheels - which are going to cost considerably more than $100 - EACH - unless you buy junkya .... er, auto recycling center wheels. Even then, this becomes a money losing proposition.

b) If you are considering new wheels and that is the driving force behind this, then you have to consider what it is you are trying to accomplish - and it isn't clear in your question what ELSE you would be looking for.

But to answer your question: As a general rule, the direction you are considering is towards better riding, less handling.

- BUT -

The differences between tires (meaning make and model) create bigger differences than a simple change like this. You can likely make a large enough change in ride/handling properties without making a rim diameter change.

IMHO, you ought to keep the same wheels and tire size and live with that. I have found that trying to keep a car shiny and new looking is pretty expensive and and constant drain on my time. I have better things to do and better ways to spend my money.

Nah, stick with the 205. I don;t see the point of BUYING another set of wheels only for the purpose of being ablt to get a cheaper tire size. You'll lose too much of the difference in buying the wheels unless you roll the dice with something really corroded and potentially damaged.

It makes more sense to save the money buy looking for a good rebate or close-out price. Or buying a less glamorous brand. I don't think a cheaper tire will be worse than going to a skinnier size. Especially if you end up needing to increase the pressure - so not only do you have the narrower tire but you are also taking it in with higher pressure - I think that's playing too much with the shape and size of the footprint.

You may expect not to feel a difference with your "driving style: or "normal driving conditions" but even so nobody can guarantee you that hard braking or steering will not be FORCED on you by others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back