Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they decided to just cert the 5W40 and 5w30 for LL01. Maybe it's just a marketing decision to not list it.

I'm surprised they have so many different euro grades and not just one A3/B4 and one C3.

Not so sure about this new line up as another thread suggests Shell is now using a lower grade GTL vs. The old Euro Ultra.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because they are now producing the BMW branded oil in 5W-30 that replaces Castrol. Probably not worth the cash to approve another oil on top of 5W-30 and 5W-40 for LL-01.

Who knows what it costs or requires? Maybe it's underway but wasn't fast enough for the pds. Do we know how much this differs from their old Chrysler only 0w-40? They may be starting with something more niche and just slowly taking steps.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do we know how much this differs from their old Chrysler only 0w-40?

For one, it differs when it comes to Noack. The Chrysler stuff has Noack of 13%. This Euro 0w-40 has to have Noack no more than 10% if it meets MB 229.5.

Also just noticed another inconsistency: Under Euro 5w-30, they listed Porsche A40 spec compliance. But AFAIK, Porsche does not allow any Xw-30 oils on their A40 list.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also just noticed another inconsistency: Under Euro 5w-30, they listed Porsche A40 spec compliance. But AFAIK, Porsche does not allow any Xw-30 oils on their A40 list.

Good catch! Maybe they hired people from Castrol to write this up. Lol

I wonder if the lack of LL01 it has to do with the whole BMW dropping Castrol thing. (they're switching to Shell)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
With the whole revamp of PP/PUP line-up, Pennzoil's website now officially lists a 0w-40 Euro oil:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Specifications

But what I find odd is that while it meets MB 229.5 spec, it does not meet BMW LL-01. From all I've read, the 229.5 is the more stringent spec, so why no LL-01?

I think it is just Pennzoil thing. You know very well how bad they are with PDS.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Maybe it's because they are now producing the BMW branded oil in 5W-30 that replaces Castrol. Probably not worth the cash to approve another oil on top of 5W-30 and 5W-40 for LL-01.

Approvals are not expensive at all!

SOPUS is always slow to the US market with stuff.

It took forever to get a 0W-20 PP on store shelves.

I'm sure the various Euro favors (except the current 5W-40 Ultra Euro) will be equally slow getting to Walmart, Advance Auto, etc.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
SOPUS is always slow to the US market with stuff.

It took forever to get a 0W-20 PP on store shelves.

I'm sure the various Euro favors (except the current 5W-40 Ultra Euro) will be equally slow getting to Walmart, Advance Auto, etc.

They did not even change their bottles for the U.S. market, which is primarily reason why I never considered 5W40 from Pennzoil. They say one thing on PDS, another on bottle. I just do not trust to oil companies that much (I mean I do not trust them at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back