I put fog lights in my Accord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Accord LX which doesn't come with factory wiring connectors for fog lights. There are kits on eBay (aftermarket) that you can install, but the wiring harness IMO is cheesy, so is the switch. I went ahead and ordered the kit (basically wanted the light housings), an HID harness from LightWerkz, some H11 connectors and a Honda OEM switch out of a Honda Fit and made my own high quality harness. I soldered and heat shrunk, and then taped over and used wire loom! I "loosely" hooked up the wires just to make sure the harness works and it worked flawlessly. The system is now unhooked as I'm taking my time to run the wiring neat, securing it properly and following most if not all OEM wiring locations. I am not a hack and HATE HATE HATE hack work.

Overall I'm so happy with this. I'm no electrical engineer, but proud of myself for being able to figure out relays and wiring... used a multimeter and test light quite a few times. If anyone wants any more info, just ask.

They're in!

My Wiring Diagram

It works! It's ALIVE!

The closest I'll come to being a hack, just a test!

The Switch.

Yeah utility besides looks is always the question. Job and diagrams look great. What's with the small loose wires on the battery?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I love lighting mods!

Separate relay for each light is probably overkill, especially for fogs. Tell us more about the fog lights themselves.

Well I'll be honest, the lights aren't really anything special. They are a replica of the OEM lights. They look about identical to the OEM ones and mount the same way. One difference though is that the OEM lights have a grey bezel where these are black. I was at one point contemplating on having them painted body color to match the bumper cover, but I like the black a lot. I think it adds to the look.

Bulb wise, once again nothing special, I'm just using H11 Sylvania XtraVision bulbs. I have no HID experience and didn't want to blind anyone with my fogs. Bulbs did come with the kit but they had some blue coating on them and I wasn't impressed. Looks like they were made at the same plant that makes cereal box toys.

Here is the kit I bought: http://bit.ly/RSBTnu

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Looks like a thorough job will be done! Will they do anything though? Mine have always been useless other than for looks.

Thanks! I think they should benefit. Not positive since I've never had fog lights before on a vehicle. They should help in rain and snow. At the very least though, I think they make the front look "finished".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah utility besides looks is always the question. Job and diagrams look great. What's with the small loose wires on the battery?

The photo was snapped while I was doing some "hack job" light test. Just wanted to make sure it all did work. None of them are on the battery now.

I'll put pics up when I'm completely done and I'll guarantee everything is ran perfect.

Do they make yellow H11's? If not then explore painting the lenses OR yellow overlays.

Yellow fog lights if truly used as GOOD fog lights DO make a difference in FOG, SNOW and RAIN. Google Dan Stern Lighting and read all the details. I was skeptical until I turned the stock "Limited" model sort of decorative fogs on my 2014 WRX into real fog lights and DRL's.

I like the contrast between the black and silver. Good job! Make sure they are aimed properly...I drive for a living and misaligned fog lights are really blinding.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I like the contrast between the black and silver. Good job! Make sure they are aimed properly...I drive for a living and misaligned fog lights are really blinding.

Thank you and most definitely. Anyone have any good tips on fog light aiming?

redhat, Yes that's the way to make sure they're aimed correctly. I close my garage door and aim the lights at it and adjust accordingly. 25 feet is about the right distance. I make the horizontal mark with chalk and then wipe it off after adjusting.

nicely done. quality workmanship shows. I second the yellow tint. I use a yellow vinyl that applies to the exterior of the lamp just like window tint on mine and have been happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back