Replace brakes by age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gack.

About five years ago I had a pad fall off. Today I was working on the brakes, and just happened to notice a gap under one pad. I took a pick and was able to clean out some area under the pad. [Its probably ok, found out the piston is seized on that caliper too!]

I measured the rotors, and despite looking horrible they are above min thickness. Heavy pitting from rust though.

I guess it's time to replace pads and rotors on both ends, and a caliper. The pads are not even half worn after 120k. Kinda disheartening. Maybe I can buy parts locally this time, it's not like I will wear them out...

mad.gif

I cant see why, but though we get a lot of salt, surely not as much as you...

If something is horribly rusted/corroded that it looks dangerous, unsound, or is broken, then the story is different...

Just because of age is not a factor IMO. For rubber brake hoses, definitely, but not for the hardware (pads/rotors) themselves.

Seisure would be my biggest concern. Assuming that nothing is corroded to the point of collapse/complete destruction, Id probably keep running them.

I dunno, when the pad fell off I had no brakes. It took several pumps to restore braking. I don't want to repeat that.

Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the questionable pad. But the rotor is dragging, and I need to get the wind back tool. But I really don't want to touch the brake lines so I might farm that out.

How often do you replace brake lines?

Edit did have a pic of the rotor on the good side.
http://www.uptonplayground.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6701

Last edited:
Looking at that rotor, I'd replace the pads and rotors. Out of curiosity, what are the pads on there? 120k is a [censored] long time for brakes to last.

Don't remember now. I usually aim for OEM. First set went 168k on the rear; fronts would have made 300k I think if the pad hadn't separated (changed at 175k due to that).

Rural life, lots of highway, and I often coast to stops. I will downshift once or twice too.

Salts a killer, your truck sounds like its aging like a plow truck!

Try spraying the salt off a bit in the winter time.

Yeah might do that in the future. I think the writing is on the wall for this one, just trying to slow it down a bit.

The rotors rust over night. I think parking next to road is what is doing the damage, gets all the water kicked up by cars. Which is why I park the truck in the backyard!

Found my universal windback tool, so I took off the brake last night. Turns out the tool doesn't fit, so I'm glad I haven't ordered parts just yet.

Got some photos this time:

Rotor shows some rust. It has been sitting a couple of days, and it rained once, hence the fresh orange stuff.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Here is the problem pad. This is the inner pad.

main.php

main.php

main.php

Ugh, that looks just horrible. Actually, it looks exactly like the rears on the Audi look right now at 4 years old.

I currently have Akebono Euros on the rear with cheap Proto rotors. The pads have held up pretty well, but the rotors not so much. If you're still looking to send the wagon down the road soon, I'd suggest getting the cheapest lifetime warranty pads from Autozone and warranty them when you can't stand to look at the rust any longer. Rotors are a carp shoot, but the coated Meyle rotors from ECS Tuning might be a good bet and they're not too expensive.

It looks like your Jetta takes the same pads as my Audi. $18 for the Duarlast and a lifetime warranty is hard to beat. Even the rotors for yours are only $16 each.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back