PP | 5w20 | 7857km(4882m) | Dodge Charger 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

I bought this last August with almost 27000 on the clock. It was a daily rental and I bought it at the Dodge dealer where my son is apprenticing so the guys in the shop went over it pretty good. They use Pennzoil products and it had a fresh fill of PYB and a Mopar filter when I picked it up. I ran that about 6000km and changed it in November because I don't know how long the OLM goes and I was planning on a spring/fall schedule.
I don't know what the future schedule will be as I recently have gone back to solo commuting, car pooler has moved. I will likely just let this fill run out the oil change indicator. If that happens to be in the cold weather, I think I'll just give the oil to my son and get him to do it at the shop, I'm done crawling around in the snow unless I have to. With the increased mileage it's going to see that may not be the case though.

FILTER
- Mopar MO-744

USAGE
- About 60% highway

NOTES
- Cold winter, plugged it in several times this year
- Oil pressure at 1200RPM never really changed at all over the OCI (35 PSI)
- Analysis done by Toromont/Caterpilar

Code:

DATE: 04/13

OIL: Pennzoil

Platinum

5w20

FILTER: MO-744

TOTAL KM: 42798

KM ON OIL: 7857

TOP UP: 0

Fe: 14

Cr: 1

Mo: 53

Al: 3

Cu: 20

Pb: 0

Sn: 0

Ti: 0

Ni: 0

Ag: 0

Si: 10

Na: 6

K: 1

Zn: 874

Mg: 12

P: 757

Ba: 0

B: 13

Ca: 2333

Mn: 1

V: 0

SOOT: 0

SULF: 24

OXID: 17

NITR: 13

VIS CST: 8.43

TBN: 5

COOLANT: NEG

FUEL: NEG

WATER: NEG

Everything looks good in your report. I only wonder if the chromium is from the cold starts or is typical of a pentastar. I know it's only one ppm but seems zero ppm is more typical in general.

I was wondering about trying the Caterpillar lab (in my case it would be Milton Cat with sample going to Massachusetts). Does the TBN come standard with report or do you have to ask for it for additional cost? I used them several years ago but I can't remember.

From the reports I've found, the chromium seems normal.

Toromont has their own lab in Concord so it could be different but yes, it's an extra charge through them. Used to be included. Basic price has also gone up to $23.95 I think it was.

I guess your right...there are more reports showing chromium than I thought.

Thanks for the info about the Cat samples. I'm happy with blackstone but i may try a few with Cat to see the oxidation, sulfation, etc. Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I was wondering about trying the Caterpillar lab (in my case it would be Milton Cat with sample going to Massachusetts). Does the TBN come standard with report or do you have to ask for it for additional cost? I used them several years ago but I can't remember.

I used 3 different labs for my Accord’s factory oil UOA. Milton Cat lab near Boston MA had an error in fuel. For additional info and comments, see: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ord#Post3044859

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

I used 3 different labs for my Accord’s factory oil UOA. Milton Cat lab near Boston MA had an error in fuel. For additional info and comments, see: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ord#Post3044859

Thanks for the info. I do recall seeing that thread last year. If I should use milton cat it'll be for my diesel. After seeing your thread I'll stick to Blackstone for my car.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back