Adding SSD to a 6-year-old desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you considered upgrading your Dell Vostro 200 to Win 7 - 64 bit?

Borrow a 2.5 hard drive, and a copy of Win7, 64 bit.
Do a test install...

Upgrading to 64 bit will wipe machine, be careful...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Have you considered upgrading your Dell Vostro 200 to Win 7 - 64 bit?

No. I'm not going to spend $100 on Win7 64-bit just so that I can get 0.5 GB of extra RAM.

Clone the drive? Don't you want to completely re-install when upgrading to an SSD though? I thought for it to be treated properly you'd need to (I haven't crossed that bridge yet.. I'm waiting for a drive to die).

If you want more speed without a major upgrade then SSD is the way to go.

Do a clean install on the same HD; Windows machines always seem to slow down the longer one uses it. Just look at the all the reg cleaner, "real uninstaller it", reorg, fixer programs that are available, a clear indication that MS doesn't know how to do package management; the software vendors can't be much better.

A 0 dollar, 2 hour task that can't make things any worse.

People think they need a new machine, when in fact they need a new OS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Clone the drive? Don't you want to completely re-install when upgrading to an SSD though? I thought for it to be treated properly you'd need to (I haven't crossed that bridge yet.. I'm waiting for a drive to die).

If you want more speed without a major upgrade then SSD is the way to go.

With Windows especially one would likely run into licensing issues at best when cloning a drive and attempting to place the cloned data onto *any* other HDD or SSD; but I think a clean install may be warranted as much to ensure that the proper drivers are in place for the SSD during and after the install.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
A 0 dollar, 2 hour task that can't make things any worse.

Thanks, although I'm not sure that 2 hours is realistic, considering a ton of different apps that would have to be downloaded/installed/configured, and personal data moved over. I consider it a massive PITA, and will probably not touch it until I have to when I buy a new PC.

A good SSD drive and a fresh install of Windows and you'll be pleasantly happy with the computer's performance. I've done so many of these upgrades I've lost count.

If your system supports SATA II (yours does), and a Core2Duo or higher, one is all good.

Enjoy!

I don't know dit about PCs, but recently buying 2 laptops with SSD drives, so fast, I can't see going back.
Few seconds booting and its waiting for me. Few seconds shutdown to. Nice not having to hit power button and go take a coffee break before I can get on to do what I do.
I was hesitant when I actually shopping just to go get a taste of Windows 8. But then I started looking into higher cost, more performance. My youngest with with me. I don't know what happened, but I walked out buying two laptops (same model) one for me and one for the kid. So much better performance, wonderful resolution etc., now no regrets except I should have done it sooner. Just really like the overall boost/performance.

We aren't buying mechanical drives at work anymore.

The speed is obvious.

We have had problems with the no name SSD's.

We have been sticking with Intel SSD's and they have been great.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
A good SSD drive and a fresh install of Windows and you'll be pleasantly happy with the computer's performance.

If installing from scratch, what is the process? Do you just pop the new blank drive in place of your existing drive and then boot from a Windows installation disc and install Windows from there? Or is there something else that I have to do with the blank drive first?

QP, in the BIOS, switch drive mode from legacy or ATA to AHCI. This is important. Then install from Win7CD, let Windows partition the disk during the install, done. That's it.

Intel, Plextor or Samsung 840 Pro series SSDs have been great. Other cheaper models may work if they use the same controller and NAND flash but really, you never know. Read the reviews at NewEgg to make up your mind.

See if there is a Goodwill Computer Works store near you.
Or look on Craigslist for a broken laptop with Win 8 or 7, 64 bit.

The Win 7, 64 bit license PC can be transferred to yours, just make sure you get the key (piece of paper) and sticker off the computer...

Major salvage can be obtained from dead equipment. Hard drives, software licenses, memory, processors, motherboards, even the case...

Don't toss the remains in the trash.
Recycle it, Goodwill should accept broken / obsolete electronics...

QP, in the BIOS, switch drive mode from legacy or ATA to AHCI. This is important. Then install from Win7CD, let Windows partition the disk during the install, done. That's it.

Thanks.

If I decide to also keep my current HDD in there (for extra storage), is there something extra I need to do so that the machine doesn't try to boot from this old drive anymore? Is that just a matter of configuring the boot sequence in BIOS?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thanks.

If I decide to also keep my current HDD in there (for extra storage), is there something extra I need to do so that the machine doesn't try to boot from this old drive anymore? Is that just a matter of configuring the boot sequence in BIOS?

Yes.

Though you'll want to take it out/unhook it when you go to do your fresh SSD install, otherwise it will be added as an option in the Windows boot loader. Unless of course your delete the contents of it first but I get the impression you are looking at keeping what is on it, on it, correct?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
but I get the impression you are looking at keeping what is on it, on it, correct?

Correct.

Thanks.

I'm liking this SSD so much I'm now thinking of replacing our older external 2.0 USB storage drives to SSD 3.0 USB external storage drives.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
See if there is a Goodwill Computer Works store near you.
Or look on Craigslist for a broken laptop with Win 8 or 7, 64 bit.

The Win 7, 64 bit license PC can be transferred to yours, just make sure you get the key (piece of paper) and sticker off the computer...

Major salvage can be obtained from dead equipment. Hard drives, software licenses, memory, processors, motherboards, even the case...

Don't toss the remains in the trash.
Recycle it, Goodwill should accept broken / obsolete electronics...

Doesn't work if the copy of windows is OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back