Laptop brand, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on the CPU benchmarks website and get a laptop with a value over 2000.

I had IBM Thinkpads then Lenovo, now HP. I do not see a difference in reliability. I think the HP screen is better than Lenevo.

I would try out a laptop and see if you like the keyboard & layout. Don't buy online via just specs.

Happy with our Lenovo T530. Not exactly as pretty as the consumer grade stuff, but good credentials as a solid reliable unit. As most others have mentioned, stay away from the consumer grade stuff and you should be in pretty good shape.

Mac's are thee ONLY way to go. Simply the best, period
Apple make great products and we have NEVER had issues, viruses or any problems with them.
There is a reason they are the only (lap top or PC's ) that continue to increase sales.

Last edited:
DO not get an ASUS unless you plan on replacing the keyboard and trackpad every so often. several keys have fallen off and the mouse pad is insensitive.

One of it's weak points.

I have 2 ASUS and the keyboards are [censored]

Originally Posted By: disneyfire
Apple make great products and we have NEVER had issues, viruses or any problems with them.
There is a reason they are the only (lap top or PC's ) that continue to increase sales.

My Linux computers do all that and more for a fraction of the cost you have to pay for a Mac!

I have owned many brands of laptops. The older basic Toshiba's used to be my go to laptop, but now you have to pay $600+ to get a decent Toshiba. We just got back from Best Buy about 30 minutes ago, we picked up a HP 17" with the new I3 processor. Have the same one at work and it seems to perform well. I bought an inexpensive HP 2000 at Walmart with the most basic of basic AMD processor for $300 INCLUDING a 2 year protection plan, and I love it! Gets the basic things done just fine. My recommendation..HP. They may have put out some poor consumer laptops in the past but they have improved.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: disneyfire

My Linux computers do all that and more for a fraction of the cost you have to pay for a Mac!

Its still not a Mac....just like a matchbox Lotus isn't a Lotus........................
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Doesn't matter... My point is I've got all that and my OS cost me $0.

Got all what? I'm all for unix-like stuff, but for an is that isn't as mainstream, from a company that doesn't have a retail presence or history?

Don't like apple, ok, fine, but to many everyday users, they still want to buy a mainstream product, be it m&s or apple.

Be careful with getting a Mac or any other OS except Windows if you have to run specialty software for your job, hobbies, etc. Several programs I use for my job are only Windows, and some haven't even been updated to run on Windows 8 yet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Doesn't matter... My point is I've got all that and my OS cost me $0.

Got all what? I'm all for unix-like stuff, but for an is that isn't as mainstream, from a company that doesn't have a retail presence or history?

Don't like apple, ok, fine, but to many everyday users, they still want to buy a mainstream product, be it m&s or apple.

Never said I don't like apple. Would I buy one? No, but it's fine if someone else wants to spend the money. What I've got? What he listed out in his original post..

I've had very good luck with Dell. I have 3 - an 8 year old, 5 year old and 4 year old. All work great and have given excellent service. Reasonably priced, durable and reliable. Can't ask for more!

Typing this on the 8 year old unit that originally had XP and now is running Linux Mint. I can't kill this thing.

I'm typing this with Dell Vostro 1000 running Window XP I bought around 2005-2006. It's still running great, my wife's laptop is Asus running Window 7.

I like Dell with window XP, once in a while I use Asus and don't like Window 7 as much.

I think I got my money out of the almost 10 years old laptop.

Lenovo has wonderful warranty service especially if you spring for the extended. Extremely quick turn around unlike waiting a week or so for the rest of them. I believe IBM is involved with it.

If you get a thinkpad you can likely order it with Win 7 pro. I have only owned Thinkpad's since a T-10 and mostly trouble free and they all work but sit in a drawer. I only hear about woes on every other brand.

My current fleet is W530 for work and 6 year old T500 former work computer turned family computer.

I did try and return a Dell after talking to the Sandeep and Santosh's years back and it had issues from the start. Trash computer with poor support(language skills mainly)

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
DO not get an ASUS unless you plan on replacing the keyboard and trackpad every so often. several keys have fallen off and the mouse pad is insensitive.

One of it's weak points.

I have 2 ASUS and the keyboards are [censored]

Depends on the model, they use a variety of keyboards. The ones with the keys that work in recesses are fantastic, as are a few of the other ones they use. However, there are one or two that are easy to catch the underside of the keys with your fingernail and pop the key off. Those are annoying. None of the recent ones I've ordered have had those keyboards though.

The touchpads can be hit or miss with any brand of laptop really. Any that use a synaptics pad tend to be a lot better. The Alps and other offerings seem to be less consistent with feel/sensitivity. YMMV.

The keyboard and touchpad on my wife's Zenbook are both fantastic. The keys come through the aluminum top half of the laptop. It has an ASUS branded touchpad, which is a relatively recent development.

Don't know dit about computers, but just bought two Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptops with SSD drives, so far I'm a happy camper. 1st time using Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back