Cut Open - Purolator Pure One PL20195

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tight pleat spacing helps prevent tears. Looks good.

It's the PureOne, it should be better.
wink.gif

Looks great. Going to be a big disappointment to some though who imo have now made it their personal crusade to label all Purolator products now as suspect. Even one who feels the compulsion to post some inane title with every post as if it's supposed to me something.

Thanks for the pics.

Fyi, not sure why it was posted, but the first pic (Wix/NG) posted above is not the OP's PL20195, the bottom two are.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
DSCN2110.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

DSCN2090.jpg

I didnt know Pureone put the bypass a the top of the oil filter.. I thought only WIX / NAPA did that.. I thought Purolator / Pureone had the bypass via the bottom.

That bypass looks exactly like from a NAPA GOLD / SILVER.

Originally Posted By: David1
...That bypass looks exactly like from a NAPA GOLD .

Because it is, and it was mistakenly included by the poster who posted the pics above. A fact noted in my previous post.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: David1
...That bypass looks exactly like from a NAPA GOLD .

Because it is, and it was mistakenly included by the poster who posted the pics above. A fact noted in my previous post.

Sorry guys,

I was taking pictures of a bunch of filters and I must have gotten them mixed up when I took them off the memory stick and organized them into different folders.

Regards, JC.

Looks great. Going to be a big disappointment to some though who imo have now made it their personal crusade to label all Purolator products now as suspect.

I don't think anybody here really has any personal crusade or has claimed that all Purolator products are suspect. Based on what has been posted and discussed by people finding media tears, it looks like only the filters with metal crimped seams are possible suspects for media failure for some reason that even supposedly Purolator doesn't know the cause (per letter from Purolator posted yesterday in this forum).

There are however, a person or two that think there's really no issue here and that what we've seen is "totally normal" and it should just be ignored. It's pretty obvious that there is a problem, and that's why people voice up about it - like me. BTW, I still have Purolators on my cars right now, and have some in my stash that I will use.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks great. Going to be a big disappointment to some though who imo have now made it their personal crusade to label all Purolator products now as suspect.

I don't think anybody here really has any personal crusade or has claimed that all Purolator products are suspect....

I'll agree to disagree and stand by my post as my opinion using the word "some". Afaik, having a differing opinion is still allowed in this forum.

And before anyone lamely attempts to label me a paid representative, I'm currently running a P1, Ultra and Napa Gold in the vehicles I maintain.

Hey everyone ... did you hear that?

There is no problem at all with the media tearing ... it was all a figment of your imagination. It's all a hoax!

Please forget that your filter many have big tears in the media and just keep using them. Everything is fine!
lol.gif

Hey everyone ... did you hear that?

There is no problem at all with the media tearing ... it was all a figment of your imagination. It's all a hoax!

You shouldn't take off your aluminum deflector beanie while at the keyboard.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
They definitely know there's a problem. They are trying to down play it, just like you. It's called damage control.

You have not one shred of evidence that Purolator is trying to do anything but look into the matter.

And it is that attack dog stance and lack of objectivity on your part about which I complain.

Did you expect the President of Purolator to give you a personal telephone call and fly to your home with some hand-made filters?

Get some facts and then get back to us.

They know there's a problem ... their letter is clear that they know something is not right and they are looking into it to find a possible cause.

From the form letter:
"Although I am new here as Quality Manager, I can assure you that our mission here at Purolator is one of quality and commitment to continuous improvement. I have reviewed that forum and have had inquiries from a few other members/readers. Over the last month I have been discussing and reviewing processes with the production, engineer and quality team. We have done some physical and theoretical analysis (to include another 45 minutes just this afternoon) and have implemented a few improvements.

We are always improving our products and process. I recommend buying new items as the need arise to take advantage of any undisclosed improvements."

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
They definitely know there's a problem. They are trying to down play it, just like you. It's called damage control.

You have not one shred of evidence that Purolator is trying to do anything but look into the matter.

And it is that attack dog stance and lack of objectivity on your part about which I complain.

Did you expect the President of Purolator to give you a personal telephone call and fly to your home with some hand-made filters?

Get some facts and then get back to us.

They know there's a problem ... their letter is clear that they know something is not right and they are looking into it to find a possible cause.

From the form letter:
"Although I am new here as Quality Manager, I can assure you that our mission here at Purolator is one of quality and commitment to continuous improvement. I have reviewed that forum and have had inquiries from a few other members/readers. Over the last month I have been discussing and reviewing processes with the production, engineer and quality team. We have done some physical and theoretical analysis (to include another 45 minutes just this afternoon) and have implemented a few improvements.

We are always improving our products and process. I recommend buying new items as the need arise to take advantage of any undisclosed improvements."

I think he's saying between the lines not to stock pile their filters. That's how you'd be assured of undisclosed improvements.

What he's also saying is that they have done some "physical and theoretical analysis" and have implemented a few improvements (probably from the analysis they did). And if you want these "undisclosed improvements" then buy new stock filters (instead of using your old stockpiled filters) so that you get the latest improvements.

If these "undisclosed improvements" fix the problem or not is yet to be seen. It will be interesting to see some Purolator filters made a month from now cut open to see if there's any noticeable differences, like tighter pleat spacing near the seam, or more flexible media.

I think 99.9% of the people reading the threads reporting a media tear would agree that there is a problem. If media tearing was "normal", we would see sporadic reports continually on the chat board each year, for many years.

I recall the time when the ST ecore filters had a rash of media blow-outs reported here. Then it seemed that the ST oil filers just disappeared off the market. The other ecore filters on the market today don't seem to have the issue anymore. It was talked about a lot on why the ecore media blew-out, basically concluding that very large center cage windows along with widely spaced out pleats that folded over was the cause. The ecores made today don't seem to have the problem, and photos of them shows most now have very tightly spaced pleats and smaller center core windows. People who design ecore filters may have learned something along the line.

Now just lately there has been a rash of Purolator media tears reported. You just don't have zero reported media tears for years, then all of a sudden a whole bunch of reports of media tears without something changing in the filter to cause that to happen.

If these "undisclosed improvements" fix the problem or not is yet to be seen.

Exactly. I'll wait and see if they fixed them. No point for me to jump in the water just yet.

I'd like Purolator to provide the customer with the starting serial numbers of the "new" production parts. That would make me more confident that they actually care about the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back