Water in Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad stores his boat every winter with 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel. My concern is condensation inside the tank and water getting into the gas. Do any additives on the market help with water in the gas? If it were my boat, I would pump out the old gas and put fresh in, but knowing my dad we will run it as is and say "I've always done it this way."

I started using StarBrite (StarTron) last year after speaking with a small engine shop. My mix rate is 1 Tbs MMO + 1-1/2 Tsp Starbrite in ($5) 1-1/2 gallons of gas, that's working for me... Some people say it will wash trash out of your tank, but I never had that experience because I run fuel additives all the time.

Good luck!

I have run my old sleds with a half tank of last years gas without a problem. Not the greatest idea I know but its worked fine. Probably just topping up with new gas and some gas line anti freeze will do the trick.

Many additives emulsify the water so it passes through the engine. HEET may be the best known. The best bet for your dad, doing things the way he does, is to use an additive that is labeled for both handling water and stabilizing the fuel. Look on the shelves of local stores for something that does those two things.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
My dad stores his boat every winter with 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fuel. My concern is condensation inside the tank and water getting into the gas. Do any additives on the market help with water in the gas? If it were my boat, I would pump out the old gas and put fresh in, but knowing my dad we will run it as is and say "I've always done it this way."

That approach worked - until they put ethanol in the gasoline.

The smart approach then was to fill it to the brim, which eliminated condensation.

Now you either do the same with ethanol-free gasoline sold at marinas, or you run it dry after putting some Stabil or other additive in the tank.

Ethanol in fuel is your friend in this case- after all, that's what products like "HEET" and "Dry-Gas" are: Ethanol or Methanol to keep the water from separating out.

That said- get him to store it with the tank FULL. That's the best way to keep water from getting in.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Ethanol in fuel is your friend in this case- after all, that's what products like "HEET" and "Dry-Gas" are: Ethanol or Methanol to keep the water from separating out.

And it works ... in gasoline which does not already contain ethanol.

Water won't mix with gasoline.

Water will mix with alcohol.

Alcohol will mix with gasoline.

Add ethanol (safer than methanol in an engine), run tank dry, water gone.

The problem is that if you never remove the ethanol, it absorbs moisture, if need by right out of the atmosphere.

The issue is phase separation. Which I am told rarely happens. The alcohol will absorb all the water and the mixture will be fed to the engine where its burned with little problems. Unless too much water gets into the gas tank and then phase separation might occur.

But its spring now, whatever damage is done (possible corrosion). No additive will help now.

The gas will be a lower octane. Due to aging. I would fill with 92 octane and use up the tank boating.

I would add Startron or Marine Stabil next year.

I assume your dad has been careful to buy his gas at a marina that sells 100% gas rather than E10. These can be found at www.pure-gas.org. Click on 'stations' then click on OH and find all stations and marina's in Ohio that are selling 100% gas.

Oldtommy

Adding acetone or xylene to a fuel tank will make a huge difference in overcoming excessive water condensation or bad fuel.

Originally Posted By: outoforder

Startron is popular for a reason... because it works.

Ethanol is naturally hydroscopic, so, it would be ideal to do it your way, drain the tank, including the water and start with fresh fuel (with some startron added).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back