Truck Tool Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, just picked up a 14 Siverado 4x4 and need to get a
tool box. What are the least expensive units that hold up well?
It would be more for lockable storage and not opened up much.
Just to carry items for emergency service.
Thanks

I've got a Husky box from Home Depot. Had it for nearly 10 years and on 2 different trucks and it has held up very well.

In my experience, cheap boxes don't hold up that well. It's not the box itself, it's the latches and such going out of adjustment that will drive you nuts.

I can't remember for sure what brand I had in my old Ranger, but I am pretty sure it was a Deflecta-Shield, or a cheap Lund (Challenger?). Diamondplate held up fine, but the latches constantly went out of adjustment, causing it to not open/close smoothly. I bought the box new.

If you want to keep the truck a long time, keep the box a long time, and use it frequently, go for a Dee Zee or something.

Better Built or the identical Kobalt boxes from Lowes are a decent cheaper option. The Better Built SEC series or a UWS box is a nice upgrade though

my home depot does not sell them quickly. so there are always units there that are 50% off because they are old inventory. I paid $120 for my fullsize, lockable diamond plate box. I drilled holes in it and bolted it to the front of the bed. Been very happy with it.

I later added a 1kw 120V inverter, and a 3,000lb winch into it for pulling heavier loads into the bed. It's holding up ok.

Thanks for all the advise,appreciate it. Donald I have a regular
cab and there isn't much room at all behind the seat.
I believe that I will look into DeeZee and Husky.
Thanks again!

I have owned four truck toolboxes and have had two good ones:

1st: Bought a black Delta plastic. Life lesson: never buy a plastic box. Junk. Pure junk.

2nd: Bought a Tractor Supply labeled (DeeZee.) Great box for the money. Unfortunately, sold it with the truck.

3rd: Bought a Husky from HD. It was horrible. If I hit a bump on the highway going better than 50MPH, it flew open (locked or unlocked.) They finally took it back after a terse meeting with the management.

4th: Bought a Kobalt from Lowes (Better Built.) Works fine and have not had any issues other than it would be nice if the keys would not bend with the lock.

Best bet: Either DeeZee or Better Built from one of the box stores.

Whatever toolbox you choose I highly recommend you first test that it is water tight before installing it. Spray it with a garden hose or at a carwash.

I installed a Challenger deep well toolbox in my '08 and after the first few rainstorms it turned into a wonderful aquarium. Some of my gear was ruined and left me a PITA mess to clean. I wouldn't recommend Challenger toolboxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back