Short OCI for tow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I use Forumula Shell full synthetic 5w30 and stay within Nissan recommended 7,500 mi oil change. In the summer I haul a 5,000 lb camper prob for a total of 3,000 miles would it be a good idea to shorten my OCI during the RV season say to 6,000 miles?

I would run a full synthetic & a good filter (like a Fram Ultra, or other quality filter), and as long as you don't overheat the oil a full length OCI should be fine. I always carry an extra quart or 2 of M1 TDT in the Ram when I pull the boat or camper with it, seems to burn off quicker towing in hot weather.

By the way it's a 4.0 V6 I think they call it a VQ40DE and it holds just over 5 quarts.

Towing falls under the severe service category. So change the oil according to whatever mileage is listed under the "severe service" category in your owners manual.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I use Forumula Shell full synthetic 5w30 and stay within Nissan recommended 7,500 mi oil change. In the summer I haul a 5,000 lb camper prob for a total of 3,000 miles would it be a good idea to shorten my OCI during the RV season say to 6,000 miles?

I think you have a good plan to shorten the OCI a little. My OLM ticks down faster when I'm towing a travel trailer. I guess the main reason is that when towing you are usually at higher rpm's and burning more fuel which are both variables in OCI length. On the other hand I don't think towing is as severe as short tripping because the oil is getting up to temp as you are probably going on long trips. Safe travels.

Originally Posted By: domer10
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Is that the motor with 3.5qt sump?

Where did u get that from.....this isn't a sentra.

I was confusing it with the Xterra, which with a V6 had a 3.5qt sump.

Towing is hard on oil - period. Keep the OCI shorter and make sure the level stays topped off. Even with my BBC Suburban, Chevy recommended towing in a lower gear - spinning the engine faster is less stressful than lugging it with a heavy load.

I'd say if you tow 5,000 pounds for 3,000 miles, especially on a pathfinder, it wouldnt hurt to change it at 4,000. Even with the full synthetic, the engine will really be pushed at that towload. Good luck

I wouldn't be overly worried about the OCI when you do that amount of towing, as long as you're not overheating the car which would put added stress on the oil.

What I would be concerned about is the OCI for the transmission and what fluid you have in there. If you don't have a full syn in there now, I'd suggest shortening the change interval then and/or switching over to a full syn.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Towing falls under the severe service category. So change the oil according to whatever mileage is listed under the "severe service" category in your owners manual.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back