A Slew Of Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of these are great suggestions, and if I do indeed use a GM engine, I want it to be a Northstar V8 or an Ecotec I4. I'm not as familiar with Toyotas and Hondas, but will definitely keep them in consideration.

Price is one reason why I suggested the VR6. You don't need the 4 valve per cylinder model. The 2V one is the engine used in the video I posted! Not expensive at all.

Nissan all aluminum dohc 24 valve vq30 v6. Weighs less than most I4s and 190hpthe out of the box. Sourced out of a 95-01 maxima they are only ~4$400.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'd really love to use the AMC derived Chrysler 4.7 SOHC V8...

AMC derived? What motor do you speak of? Are you referring to the Powertech V6/V8?

1+ litre bike motors seem to be popular as well if you want to go really light. You sort of have to, to use the clutch and transmission.
I don't know what happens to all the formula SAE cars either, perhaps one of the teams sells their plans, or even old cars?
Also stuffing a new GM V6 into a Fiero has been done. I've seen a junk yard special run with a super charged Elise and mostly keep up.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Yes, it was originally designed by AMC, and Chrysler brought it to fruition years later.

AMC came up with the idea, but that's a far cry from "designing" it. AMC lacked the resources to design an engine from the ground up, that project would have gone nowhere fast. Even Chrysler had the idea shelved for years until they decided to do something with the old LA motors that were not able to compete with newer competing designs like the Ford Modular.

Whatever AMC had conceptualized in the 80's as a modern overhead cam V8, i guarantee bears little resemblance to the final engine Chrysler introduced to market in the late 90's.

If it takes 12 years to design an engine, something is terribly wrong.

I never have seen a manual transaxle for a transverse V8 engine. Do those even exist?

That is one reason I would prefer using a high performance 6 cylinder engine. Getting a manual transmission Maxima isn't too difficult, the engine is tough, and the fanbase is huge. Some of late 3.0L and early 3.5L Maximas had a 6-speed manual.

The VR6 sounds even better to me, because they take up very little room, and if you have to custom build a car, that would give you more freedom in how you design the car. There are many VR6 cars on the road with a 5 speed manual, and a few select versions of the 24V Jetta and GTI had a 6-speed manual. I'm not sure if the 6 speed from the 24V engine will fit a 12V engine, but with such a huge fanbase, you are sure to find answers.

2000+ Maximas came with a cable shift 6 speed manual. The 3.5 had VTC, electronic throttlebody, and anti theft chipped keys, but swapping to 3.0 cam gears and pathfinder throttle body makes engine management easy with a 3.0 ECU.

I was thinking bike motor too. They weigh nothing, make gobs of power, and are more compact to work with. you also get a sequential transmission that would be easy to actuate via push-pull cable shifting. clutch would have a silly-quick feel to it as well.

Originally Posted By: meep
I was thinking bike motor too. They weigh nothing, make gobs of power, and are more compact to work with. you also get a sequential transmission that would be easy to actuate via push-pull cable shifting. clutch would have a silly-quick feel to it as well.

A local guy made an AWD Metro with a R1 bike motor for ice racing, and it totally dominated the class.

Don't think it had reverse though, but on the flat it would be easy to push around.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: meep

A local guy made an AWD Metro with a R1 bike motor for ice racing, and it totally dominated the class.

Don't think it had reverse though, but on the flat it would be easy to push around.

Ain't exactly an old Brit, Metro 6R4 group B car, but cool nonetheless.
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back