Check those filters when buying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I once bought a Puro classic filter at Wally and got it home to find that it had already been used. I didn't even notice the weight difference. I always check all filters before buying now.....

BTW it wasn't worth the hassle to return so I just chucked it in the trash

I had the same thing happen with a filter from AAP. But it was my only filter so I took it back and exchanged.

I always check filters now. I've put a few back for the gasket being missing.

How cheap can people get?
spankme2.gif

When will we need to start pouring a tablespoon of oil out into a Dixie cup for verification that its new oil?

I would hate to start pouring the 3rd gallon of T6 oil into my Cummins and notice its used after pouring some in.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I see that all the time at Walmart.

I guess that's one of the benefits to the poor filter choice in Canada. Many stores have only one type of filter (Canadian Tire, Walmart, and Partsource have improved in that regard, though). So, they can switch boxes all they want, as long as they don't goof up the part numbers.
wink.gif

I have to wonder, what in the heck is the matter with people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
They should put "Tamper Proof" seals on the opening.

The Ultra boxes do have a clear tape seal on the top flap (put on by Fram), but people still open them up. When I buy an Ultra, I make sure that clear seal has not been disturbed.

They do - it's a little round sticker taped across the box opening. But an ultra thin box cutting blade in the hands of an expert will make that little sticker look completely undisturbed.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

They do - it's a little round sticker taped across the box opening. But an ultra thin box cutting blade in the hands of an expert will make that little sticker look completely undisturbed.
grin.gif

You got some experience with that process?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You got some experience with that process?
whistle.gif

Yep. It's no fun going to the filter store unless you can take a peek.
wink.gif

I hear ya, I will open an Ultra box (that hasn't been disturbed) to make sure the filter is in good shape, and then will buy the one I opened.

Yeah, I bought several Frams today at WM. I opened every box. Lucky for me they were all good. Not so much with the PP 5qt jugs
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Pat in Speedway
While at Meijer tonight, I made my usual trip to the oil aisle to see what was on sale. I was looking over the oil filters and compared Fram Ultra to Mobil 1 EP. When I opened the M1 filter to compare it to the Ultra, to my surprise there was a plain ole Fram Extra Guard in there. If you don't already check the contents of your filter box before buying it, this is reason to start that habit.
13974639242_6f5744e109.jpg

I see that at Wallymart all the time... and I saw a guy get busted at the checkout and I heard him saying ** I didnt know ** then security said we have you on Camera... Come with me please.

Now what I thought was so funny.. Is this guy is going to JAIL , till he bonds out... and he is going to be in LOCK UP aka the BULL PIN with other people who broke the law.. and people talk in there and say what you in for.. One person might say.. I stole a car and another might say I robbed a gas station... then they will get to this guy and he will say.
OHH I tried to save 10$ on a oil filter at Wallymart.. I switched the cheap oil filter and put the expensive oil filter in the cheap box.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Anways... each time I go to wallymart I show them and I really do not think they care.. They just write it OFF as spoilage or somthing to that effect.

I have seen stuff like this all the time.

I think the guy whom switched the Purolator with the FRAM HM actually took a step down.
LOL

However it must really suck for people who do not check and pay top $ for a good oil filter then end up with a cheap oil filter that is possibly the wrong one that wont fit there engine.

IMG_4069_zpse1145496.jpg

IMG_2189_zps958a52cf.jpg

IMG_2190_zps79f416c3.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Those photos ... wow.
eek.gif

I knew a guy that used to go to wallymart and buy expensive Synthetic Mobil 1 Oil the 5QT jug...

Then walk back in Wallymart and buy a Supertech conventional 5QT Jug....

Then he would put the Mobil 1 in his car and then take the Supertech oil and refill the Mobil 1 jub and he was very carefull not to damage the plastic on the cap..

and he would then RETURN the Mobil 1 jug that had regular Supertech Oil and save 20$

I told him that was so bad b/c someone would use that oil for 10K miles thinking it was syn oil and it was not.

I think he finally got caught...

b/c they started to put a actual seal on the jugs.

cheap and stupid don't they realize when they are caught (there are lots and lots of hidden cams) they can wind up with a criminal record over 1 or 2 dollars?????
So when your cell mate asks what are you in for you can say oil filters. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back