MMO to clean motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case, when I added MMO I would otherwise have had to have add regular Motor oil anyway.
So the price difference was about $1 or so.

I had previously spent over $60 on a cleaning product that did not work.

But, as people have said, Normally, if an engine is well maintained, with regular OCI's and no other issues (like coolant in the oil etc) You should not need additives.

And, if you don't have a problem to start with, it's unlikely an additive will Fix it!

Originally Posted By: dave5358

And in the 'feel better' department, there is no better way on the planet to start an automobile conversation than to pop the hood when you've got an inverse oiler installed. It will beat a turbo any day (I know, I've got both ;-}

Inverse oiler, a man after my own heart. I own two of the original MMO 2 qt. inverse oilers.

Didn't use MMO in anything for 20 years of positive results.

Stuck it in the Z4 when I was a quart low. It gave neither hurt or benefit.

Last edited:
Ok, but I also have 20 years of positive results and I've never used MMO, even in my 1MZ-FE (and you can see valvetrain pictures in other threads). Can you explain what your positive results are and how you attribute them to MMO?

Originally Posted By: BuckShirley
I use MMO in every tank and at the end of most oil change cycles,
20 + years of positive results!

Originally Posted By: BuckShirley
I use MMO in every tank and at the end of most oil change cycles,
20 + years of positive results!

Welcome to Bitog. I'd love to hear your MMO success stories. Mine are scattered about the oil additive section.

I keep MMO in an oiler and use to wipe down my rebuilt carburetors to prevent flashing and oxidation. Sticks around longer than WD40 and doesn't leave things messy like oil.
Comes in handy for air tools in a pinch, and engines that have sat a while I fill the carburetors with a 4:1 mix of gas, and MMO to help lube things up on the initial start. 2 stroke mix is fine as well.
I have used in gas tank and as a pre oil change flush. Not sure how it does there, but its priced fine and goes far for my uses.

I can see MMO making sense as a preservative. As a fuel add, despite the use in inverse oilers, the chlorine scares me, not due to the motor oil ingestion, but instead for the converter. Halogen acids ( eg HCl) are used often in precious metals extraction processes.

In the oil, it thins it a bit, but not sure that matters too much... My issue is that it just didn't do anything. My lifter tick on a clean engine remained through that and Kreen (ie progressively more aggressive solvents. It took B-12 to do the job, and nobody is keen on having that stuff in their oil for more than a few minutes... But sometimes the shock treatment is necessary. If I had a known well sludges engine, I'd want to start gentle with something like MMO. If the engine is clean,I don't see the point myself.

I've got a half bottle of the stuff left over from my occasional treatments on the slight oil consumption of the Park Avenue's 3800 engine. I figure I'll pop this last bit into the Regal's 2.4, drive for two weeks (about 4-500 miles), and then have the oil changed at its regular time.

After that, unless the car starts consuming oil, I don't think I need to worry about it.

i have been using MMO in gasoline for 30 years. i have never seen the need for it in my engine oil. but iam not going say a condition where it should used in the crankcase cant happen. but the old racing saying if some is good a lot is better. should NOT be used here. but i have run 2 X the called out amount for 2 weeks with no trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back