is there any logic to why the repairable area on a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't your safety even come into your thoughts when repairing a sidewall on a tire.

Yes you saved 100 dollars on a new tire, but what happens when your wife is driving the car, and the front tire blows out on the freeway.

Who wins then?

I only take my car to discount tire, and they patch the tires right. Every time I have had a nail in a tire, they have patched it for free the right way, by taking the tire off the rim, and patching it.

A number of things to comment on:

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
If done properly it can be repaired. I have 25k miles on a sidewall repair right now.

Just because one person has good luck, doesn't mean the practice is a good one. Think duct tape repairs.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I haven't had to refer to it in a while, so it may have been amended, but take a look at 49 C.F.R. Section 393.75, which refers to tire standards for Motor Carriers, and indirectly restrains some repair and maintenance practices......

Highlighted for emphasis: I think that is what I am referring to - things that are hinted at, but not explicitly forbidden.

.....For areas where the regulations are silent or ambigious, we often rely on industry standards, as opined by experts, to delineate the requisite field duties.

This is where I think people get confused. Many people will use the "industry standards" and cite them in conversation as "law" to justify their actions (or inaction).

By the same token, many people will cite that lack of a law as cause not to follow certain practices even if they are "industry standard." (Not to mention what industry standards really are as opposed to what an expert thinks they are.)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
. . .

Highlighted for emphasis: I think that is what I am referring to - things that are hinted at, but not explicitly forbidden.

.....For areas where the regulations are silent or ambigious, we often rely on industry standards, as opined by experts, to delineate the requisite field duties.

This is where I think people get confused. Many people will use the "industry standards" and cite them in conversation as "law" to justify their actions (or inaction).

By the same token, many people will cite that lack of a law as cause not to follow certain practices even if they are "industry standard." (Not to mention what industry standards really are as opposed to what an expert thinks they are.)

Just a couple of comments:

Just because a regulation is indirect in a prohibition does not diminish its force. For instance, that regulation (as I last recall it, again subject to later amendments) states "regrooved", and does not appear to expressly prohibit placing a re-groovable (but not yet re-grooved) tire on a steering axle. But if it has been re-grooved, and involves a weight range above the stated threshold (or a bus), it violates the reg to remount it back on that axle. In that respect, the service of re-grooving it for that purpose is prohibited, even though the reg doesn't come out and say it. There' s no hinting about it. A lot of the regs work that way. A common sense interpretation is applied.

As far as industry standards, they are, legally, unless there is a Daubert issue, what the expert opines them to be in his expert report, once accepted by the fact-finder. And in practice (mine), in this field, there is usually not much disagreement among experts as to generally accepted industry standards as to tire maintenance and repair in the field (again, I am speaking of commercial trucking). So to the field, while not the codified "law", it is the standard that will be legally applied to them for purposes of liability. And because the standards ARE so generally accepted, the field is charged with that knowledge. Ignorance of the generally accepted standards is not a compelling defense in these matters. And as we all know, it is liability that "guides" the field, regardless of whether by violation of codified or generally accepted uncodifed standards.

Common law standards typically have as much legal force as codified standards, a point typically ignored by laymen in the field (sometimes to their carrier's dismay). They are equally "the law".

Again, I am tempering the above to the Motor Carrier context, only. And what constitutes a Motor Carrier is dictated under law. It may or may not apply outside that context. Frankly, I don't have the time for that. But it was in response to your question whether there were any laws regulating tire servicing.

A final disclaimer, as I am cautious: none of what is referenced here or elsewhere in this thread by me should be relied on as legal advice for anyone's situation. Consult an attorney about your own situation before contemplating all such matters.

Perhaps I should clarify in that I am referring to Motor Carriers, which is a defined term of art.

Smaller motor vehicles are not going to fall under these federal regulations.

A further clarification: MANY smaller vehicles may not fall under the regulation discussed above. But there may be SOME exceptions. Consult your own attorney before determining whether any particular vehicle, including yours, is subject to the above or any other regulations and laws.

End of CYA.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I've noticed in industries that hire dullards, and train them with other dullards, the trainer claims something is "illegal" when it is in fact a poor practice, software license violation, breaking a contract, etc.

My bank claimed it was illegal for me to use my wife's login to access our joint checking account online, for example.

My state requires used car dealers to make their cars inspectable, or to fix or buy said clunker back if it fails inspection within a 3 day cooldown period. If they sold a car with a plug, they would not anymore (under new standards) be required to take it back. I'm not sure about civil liability-- they could claim to have bought it at auction and the previous owner did the plug.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Lawyers and Insurance Companies, nothing more.

I've handled commercial trucking cases where

I rest my case, Mr. Lawyer.

Gotcha.
lol.gif

Lawyers and Insurance Companies, nothing more.

I've handled commercial trucking cases where

I rest my case, Mr. Lawyer.

Gotcha.
lol.gif

Yeah, you're right.

It's the lawyer's fault a 7 year old is brain damaged after a tech repaired a tire he shouldn't have, and did it hung over after a night of drinking.

But you keep on laughing.

It's always the Lawyers and Insurance Companies, nothing more.

I don't know about the area getting smaller, but DT has used the image below as a reference for what they consider the repairable area for as long as I can remember. I'm confident as noted in this thread that a certain amount of legal/liability CYA is involved if the RMA recommended procedures aren't followed.

Speaking from a personal experience perspective, having used many a rope/string type plug before DT came to the area, I can say the rope repairs closest to the shoulder/sidewall tended not to last as long as the ones in the repairable area. As mentioned increased flex in that area is likely a factor. But that said, the worst I ever got with the rope repair in that area was a very slow leak when they began to fail.

repairArea.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back