Laptop brand, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at getting a new laptop. I basically will only be using it for some light work, spreadsheets, powerpoints and such. Along with the usual surfing. I have been out of laptop scene for a while. Any suggestions as to brand, Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo? Looking at at intel for processor, i3?? Thanks.

ASUS and Lenovo are both good. I like HP's Probook (business) series laptops, but their consumer ones have not impressed me.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
HP consumer laptops are complete [censored]. I always used Toshiba all lasted me over 5-6 years easy.

Yup, the huge stack of them (HP and Compaq) that I have in my basement agrees with you
grin.gif

My current laptop is a 17" HP. Mine has a AMD, and it performs well. I paid $379 for it in June of 2012. It has caused no heartaches, and is as quick today as nearly 2 years ago. I an running Windows 8.1 and it has caused no problems. When waking up the laptop, the Desktop or Apps screen pops up in about 15 seconds on average. I'll give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Good luck in your search

Best Buy has a Toshiba - Satellite 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - With Windows 8.1 installed for $249.99. Just do the free upgrade to Windows 8.1.1.

It should meet your needs.

For a free Office type program download and install either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. LibreOffice would be my choice but that is based on personal preference.

Wow, I have been out of the laptop world awhile. I would never have thought a Asus or Lenovo brand would be any good. I mean I like Asus mother boards but didn't realize their computers were good.

I'm not a Windows 8 fan at all. Any downside to installing Windows 7 Pro on a system that came with W8?

Buy a dell latitude, they are great quality. I buy a dozen of them a week at work.

Special order it with a ssd hard drive. Add the extra warranty. Done deal.

Windows 8.1.1 is much like Windows 7 and what Windows 8 should have been when it was released.

Go for Windows 8.1.1.

I have it on a desktop, laptop, and an Ultrabook.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
ASUS and Lenovo are both good. I like HP's Probook (business) series laptops, but their consumer ones have not impressed me.

+1. Ive been quite happy with my HP elitebook that is my work laptop.

Of course I prefer apple, and still think theyre worth a look.

I've had two Toshibas, and both have had to have repairs to keep working. I won't go with another Toshiba.

I am currently typing on a 3+ year old Acer with a first generation i5. It has needed a new keyboard ($15) and I put in another 4 GB RAM (now has 8), and a SSD. It runs great. Without the extra RAM and SSD it wouldn't. I upgraded the RAM in August and added the SSD in January.

We just bought a 15" HP Envy series touchscreen laptop from Microsoft Store online for my wife. I immediately put a 250 GB Samsung SSD in it. The hard drive it came with was a 1 TB Seagate. The memory is Samsung. The processor an Intel i7. My only worry is the motherboard, but those are hit and miss with any brand. The computer is kind of heavy, but that isn't a problem for me. The case seems very sturdy. Keyboard and touch pad are nice, and the touch screen seems high quality (both the image and the glass itself). We were reluctant to get a HP because there are a lot of people who say they have had bad experiences, but so far so good. We'll see how long it lasts. I think with all brands the lower end are junk and the higher end are better. The Envy series is HP's top consumer line.

I wouldn't go Sony, they just announced they are getting out of the laptop business. ASUS is good, but expensive for the specs. Same with Samsung. Lenovo is good, and we almost bought one, but it came with 8 GB RAM and wasn't expandable to any more than that. I've never liked Dell computers, laptop or desktop. I think I heard they were looking for bidders to be bought out.

If you go with an Intel Core processor be careful that you don't get a 3rd generation, there are still a lot of those out there and it is two year old technology.

Windows 8 is awful! If you are going with windows get windows 7, windows 8 was Microsoft's biggest mistake ever!

That being said, I wouldn't get an HP, or Asus. In my experience Gateway/Acer is pretty good, but I personally would say go with a Dell.

I'm using a Lenovo V570 and have been very happy with it. It's considered more of a business laptop but I got it as a refurb with full warranty. Also, had just the basics installed on it with Windows 7, no bloatware junk like you find at Best Buy and such. I don't know if they have Mr. Notebook locations in your state but if they do go take a look at their stock. They are almost always knowlegeable about the stuff and can help you find something that will be what you want.

I am on my third Fujitsu, all made in Japan and Panasonic Toughbook also made in Japan.
No failures ever with any of them.
I gave them away because of their age, the oldest is 10 and AFAIK is still going.

My 6gb i3 asus has been sent back 6 times often for 30 days at a time with no email that they even received it.I have had to pay out of my own pocket all but once because the fed ex cant process the RMA labels they give you.They replaced my mint condition pc the last time for one that looks like they dug it out of the dumpster all scratched up.They also sent me a 4GB instead of the 6 I had.There is 1300 complaints at the BBB against them one from me included.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back