Volvo 5.7 2008 Main rear seal leak :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a volvo 5.7GXi marine engine 2008. (its a GM block)
approx 600hours.
25w40 Mercruiser oil (non syntech)

the main rear seal leak. (let say 5-20 drops per ride.)
The only way to fix it is to remove the engine and change the seal. (~1500$ job)

What's your comment on adding Lubro Moly Oil saver ?
I know that it may not work, but what about the engine ? I have no blue smoke, engine is running fine. I dont want to domage something with this can. At the end it should not,and it can ben a good thing I think.

any comments ?

RGR2020.jpg

volvo-penta-5.7-gxi-cale.jpg

I have heard good things about it on here.I was going to try it myself. I would change the oil and run it the full OCI.Cant hurt to try.I had some luck with barsleak in a beater also.

Yannick, can you put your hand on the leak?

If you can, with the engine cold, I'd wipe the area as clean as you can get it and smear a little Permatex Ultra Blue on the leaking area. Be sure to cover it all.

I did this with a 1990 Integra I owned a long time ago. I didn't really think it would stop the leaking cam seal ... but it did ... 100%. I was just hoping to slow it down a bit until I could replace the seal. As it turned out, I never did have to replace that seal.

http://www.beltco.com.my/catalog/image/c...7BR-500x500.jpg

Worth a shot.

My concern is the 2008 year. for me its almost new for a boat. Adding this kind of stuff in a super old engine, im fine. But Inside my 2008 i dont know. This is why im confused. Without trying i can not know if it will reduce the leak or not. If I add it and it does nothing I will have to fix it for 1500$ and engine received the lubro moly. i read too a lot of good things with this product, but its an additive oïl. I will probably try it.

Bror Jace Thanks for your idea I will have a look on that this week end.

Im not sure I can see the seal, but maybe I can add I bunch of Permatex and cross my finger it will not leak for the next 10years
wink.gif

Will take a bunch of pics this week end and publish it here.

thanks

Do not add silicone to the rear main seal where it seals the crank flange.

If the oil is coming from the oil pan gasket in the back, the seal housing is leaking, or it's leaking around the outside perimeter of the seal, then try it.

I'd worry about adding it to the 25w40 that is already in there.
That stuff is really really thick.

I've used it in the summertime here, 100 degrees daily, and noticed a difference in the mornings.

Personally, I'd find a High Mileage oil and go from there. If you wanted to thicken a 30 weight motor oil to be a 40 weight (at least) or more then just add the Lubro Moly Oil Saver.

Let say I switch my 25w40 (mineral) oil for 10w30 Marine Amsoil.
Question : Adding the Lubro Moly Oil saver to a 10w30 oil , that will change the grade for what approximatively ? 15w40 ?

SuperDave456 is right I think , addind Oil saver to 25w40 it make the oil in my engine SUPER thick . Im located in Quebec/Canada.

great looking engine compartment... guessing engine outa warranty... I would ignore and monitor... add oil as needed...
might wanna try something other than merc oil... Frequent oil changes... 25/40 seems a bit stiff... colder climate. Rotella gets good reviews and a good price...

Indmar recommends Pennzoil 15w-40 for the same long block. I use Rotella 15w-40. You might try the switch as there may be seal conditioners in the additive pack vs the Mercruiser oil. Your engine may sit for long periods in Canada and those cold starts would be pretty dry with a thick 40 weight (Mercruiser is a straight 40 "that performs like a 25w-40").

Replace it if you can yank the motor yourself its a cheap job.

I have done a number of rear mains in boats, just did one on my 6BTA last year, not uncommon for them to fail from sitting.

My GOSH that's a a sweet setup....and clean. Very NICE!!! Those rear seals can be tricky. I'd try, and have in the past on different engine setups, what Bror suggested. I may be inclined to try a slightly thinner oil and try that.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Do not add silicone to the rear main seal where it seals the crank flange.

If the oil is coming from the oil pan gasket in the back, the seal housing is leaking, or it's leaking around the outside perimeter of the seal, then try it.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back