Received an email from Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Question I have: If a few people around the world cutting open Purolator Classics are finding tears, why hasn't Purolator found tears in the field? In other words, what kind of field retrieval methods do they use? Not rocket science. Assuming Purolator actually looks at used filters once in a while, a no-brainer I would think, then what changes are they already thinking about? ... they must have alreaady known about this.

I doubt they go retrieve used filters from being used in the real world, cut them open and look for problems like this. I think it would be a good idea, but I doubt they do it.

Can anyone provide a link to a filter with a tear in the last few years that is not Purolator? I can't remember seeing any tears in the last few years since I have been reading this site.

I had 2 failed Bosch filters out of 8 Purolator/Bosch made filters. one I posted here was clearly a manufacturing defect. The other one I never posted because I did not get to take pictures of it before the wife took it for recycling. These are the only ones I've seen with problems.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... but anyone who has seen the evidence pour in here lately on Purolators with media tears and basically says it's not really an issue and nobody should even be talking about it seems to have some kind of agenda, like he's associated with Purolator somehow.

Or would prefer to have some actual facts to discuss rather than reading people go on and on without any.

In the very next post after this one to which I am responding you write:

Quote:
Nobody knows, so the test data with respect to the effect of the media tears is meaningless.

Exactly. Nobody knows. And nobody is going to know from these overheated but unfounded speculations and assertions. So, everyone take a chill pill and wait for some facts. Those who wish have stopped using Purolator.

As a poster wrote earlier today:

Quote:
Purolator has been notified, and are on the lookout for any gaps in quality control. End of topic.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... but anyone who has seen the evidence pour in here lately on Purolators with media tears and basically says it's not really an issue and nobody should even be talking about it seems to have some kind of agenda, like he's associated with Purolator somehow.

Or would prefer to have some actual facts to discuss rather than reading people go on and on without any.

So you think that many posted photographs of big media tears by many separate members here is not "proof" that there is a problem going on? Wow ...
crazy.gif
What kind of "evidence" do you need to be convinced that something is not "normal" with this high rate of reported media tears?

In the very next post after this one to which I am responding you write:

Quote:
Nobody knows, so the test data with respect to the effect of the media tears is meaningless.

Exactly. Nobody knows. And nobody is going to know from these overheated but unfounded speculations and assertions. So, everyone take a chill pill and wait for some facts. Those who wish have stopped using Purolator.

Your twisting things out of context now, because that comment was about a UOA and the "effect" of the filter with a media tear. It really has nothing to do with the fact that these filters DO have media tears. These filters tear in service, they aren't torn during production. Yeah, I don't have "proof", but if they were being torn during production then Purolator would know the cause and not say they don't know the cause in the form letter they sent out.

So tell me, what in your mind do you think is everyone's "unfounded speculations and assertions"? In case you haven't noticed, there are dozens of guys posting that clearly say they do not want to use Purolators anymore until they have proof this problem is fixed. Is that why you are so bent on trying to convince everyone that they should just relax and this is not really a problem and just keep using a filter that could fail? Get real.

As a poster wrote earlier today:

Quote:
Purolator has been notified, and are on the lookout for any gaps in quality control. End of topic.

Yes, we all know. I was one of many here who contacted Purolator about media tears. And they have in their "form letter" admitted that they don't know what the cause is.

No, it's not end of topic ... because if Purolator can't determine the root cause then this problem will persist. And IMO, if they don't know the root cause then no level of QA inspection is going to lead to the cause.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
ok Purolator, so it's my fault for buying a filter a year before i use it? (even though the build date is a year before that. IE: it sat on a shelf somewhere for a year before i bought it.)
The filter below, date coded for early 2011, I bought it as part of an oil/filter combo deal in 2012, put on car July 2013,took off about 2 weeks back:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3348481/PL14477_Autopsy#Post3348481

pardon me for "stockpiling" supplies 2-3 oil changes in advance...

What a pile! Many filters sit for a while before use. The livery outfit I worked for bought them by the PALLET (PH2/FL820 for Panthers, PH16/FL400 for Dodge vans, FL1995 for 7.3 PSD's), and they could sometimes sit in the storeroom for MONTHS!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: earlyre
ok Purolator, so it's my fault for buying a filter a year before i use it? (even though the build date is a year before that. IE: it sat on a shelf somewhere for a year before i bought it.)
The filter below, date coded for early 2011, I bought it as part of an oil/filter combo deal in 2012, put on car July 2013,took off about 2 weeks back:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3348481/PL14477_Autopsy#Post3348481

pardon me for "stockpiling" supplies 2-3 oil changes in advance...

What a pile! Many filters sit for a while before use. The livery outfit I worked for bought them by the PALLET (PH2/FL820 for Panthers, PH16/FL400 for Dodge vans, FL1995 for 7.3 PSD's), and they could sometimes sit in the storeroom for MONTHS!

I do think they could have addressed the situation with a bit more class.

Whatever Purolator (Mann USA) is doing to remedy the situation is not working, because the customers have lost a considerable amount of trust in the brand, and once it is lost that trust is very hard to regain.

Purolator needs to take the bull by the horns and explain exactly what they are going to do to remedy tear issue clearly to their customers. Those old cans have serial numbers on them as well, so there is no reason why they couldn't recall them, or ask customers to return the affected items to the store for a refund.

Originally Posted By: quint
... to me, but thats just me. I'm moving on to M1 and Fram Ultras. Probably overkill and underutilization for my application, but the extra $4 per filter I will be spending is not significant to me and I'm fine with it until all the real facts are in about this latest buzz.

Quite a decent, reasonable statement, with containment and explanation. Acknowledges the likelihood of over-reaction and waste, but is willing to nod towards the emotional response and let it play out.

I applaud your honesty and simple approach. Nothing wrong with this. You're not trying to justify the "overkill" with the same old "cheap insurance" mantra. Just realize it's not a necessity, do what you want, and move on. Your goal is to avoid a perceived potential for failure, you're willing to pay extra for a product you'll not fully gain benefit from, and you are not making up otherwise lame excuses for doing so.

Kudos to you for recongnizing an emotional response that you clearly understand and are willing to employ, and step to the next thing in your life. Excellent! I wish more BITOGers had your ability to be honest with themselves, and others.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Novel concept - how about not accusing anyone of anything?

Should be, but apparently not. Accusations continue, and explanation/notification not sufficient for those on the crusade. One would also think though that it would be just easier to change brands (there's lots of them) and move on.

18.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
I just replaced 2 Subaru filters made by FRAM which was recalled.

https://content.subarunet.com/snet/_content/_attachment/oil_filter_snet_message.pdf

I find it funny that people keep defending Purolator. From their replies, they will just let the defective filters run through its course even if they figure out why the pleats tear. And some people are fine with this.

It's strange that the Subaru filter recall notice doesn't even say that the issue is. If I recall, was this the problem where the filters leaked and oil could catch on fire from the exhaust system?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
One would also think though that it would be just easier to change brands (there's lots of them) and move on.

Well, that's always a possibility, but that's not really the point. Purolator has historically made some fine products. The Bosch filter for my G has high efficiency and a good price from an online retailer. Of course, the Walmart Canada switch back to Fram flubbed things up a bit.

Nonetheless, yes, switching brands is a viable response. But, when there is a quality control issue, even if only perceived, with a favoured brand, people are going to be annoyed and they will complain about it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...Nonetheless, yes, switching brands is a viable response. But, when there is a quality control issue, even if only perceived, with a favoured brand, people are going to be annoyed and they will complain about it.

As you left out the entire quote without acknowledging the rest...., that wasn't the entire point being made either. But rather an addendum, one that I had previously made in this thread and here in agreement with another poster (Hyde244). So to complete the point in context that would be

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Novel concept - how about not accusing anyone of anything?

Should be, but apparently not. Accusations continue, and explanation/notification not sufficient for those on the crusade. One would also think though that it would be just easier to change brands (there's lots of them) and move on...

That would be the entire point.

I realize that; I was picking specifically on the addendum. But, put in context, my point remains. These aren't ridiculously isolated incidents. The responses haven't been informative or terribly reassuring. The failures certainly are not reassuring. And I'm not particularly happy about losing, even temporarily, one of my preferred brands.

And my point remains. As Hyde noted, Purolator is now well aware, have responded stating (paraphrase)they are looking into the matter, and are attempting to address any QC issue(s). If that explanation/response is not sufficient, ie., not reassuring enough, then it would only seem very sensible imo to switch brands. Why? Because if you can't or don't believe their response, then that would mean you could no longer trust them to produce a reliable product. Thus 'one would think it would be easier to change brands now and move on'. That's the point.

I think people believe Purolaor's general response, but that doesn't really tell them when the problem might be found and rectified. All Purolator mentioned is to buy new filters in the future (instead of using old stockpiled filters) to take advantage of the improvements ... whatever that might be.

I'd venture to say wait and buy new stock filters that have a date code made in July 2014 or after if anyone is paranoid about the media issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back