braking question when panic stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a rear brake job on a 2008 jetta 2.5. Usually after I bed in pads I have this empty stretch of road where I take car to about 40mph and hit brakes like a panic stop till the car goes to zero. I noticed abs kick in and pedal dropped a bit while abs kicked in. Would this be considered normal or is there an issue here. Road is dry btw

I would try to skip the ABS. You want even material depositing on the rotor/ drum surface. Just do a firm 1/2 G slow to 5 mph then bring your speed back. Don't stop if you can help it.

What I am asking is it normal for brake pedal to drop a bit when abs kicks in.

Yes it's normal for the pedal to drop because the ABS valve is relieving fluid pressure to keep the brakes from locking up.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yes it's normal for the pedal to drop because the ABS valve is relieving fluid pressure to keep the brakes from locking up.

+1 my family's 06 camry does this all day when slipping around in snow like they purposely designed it to never grip the road.

It can't be worse than the Mark VII LSC my dad once owned; the pedal dropped so far when the ABS activated you'd swear that the master cylinder had failed...

Yeah NEVER stop after a hard brake on new pads. It will deposit the pad material unevenly and essentially messes up all the work you did bedding them in. Hard, but not ABS-inducing hard, brakes down to a slow roll, then plenty of drive time in-between to cool the brakes down.

As for the pressure drop when ABS kicks in - others described it correctly.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
It can't be worse than the Mark VII LSC my dad once owned; the pedal dropped so far when the ABS activated you'd swear that the master cylinder had failed...

I see this in 1980s ABS systems, where the master cylinder and ABS solenoid pack are one unit, and there is no vacuum brake booster because the ABS module also acts as a brake booster.

The last time I dealt with that was on a 1989 Buick Reatta. A rebuilt ABS unit and many other repairs quickly exceeded the price of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back