Free Oil changes at my Nissan dealer but no ester?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas,

I have a few more oil changes due to me from my dealer on our '13 Sentra. Last time I was there they confirmed they use Mobil 5w30 dyno in everything. My owners manual clearly says that 5w30 is ok IF 0W20 isn't available. Do I have the right to demand they use the Nissan 0W20 syn oil next time I go in?

I know the Mobil 5w30 is good I'd just like to try the overpriced Nissan Ester oil if I can, especially for free!

Last edited:
They will say that they don't ahve 5w-20, so it's not available and okay to use 5w-30. Plus, nissan isn't going to deny any warranty claims if the service was done on time at their dealer ... or they shouldn't.

If 0w-20 was required, that would be one thing... but since it appears that 5w30 is acceptable and won't void your warranty, that's what they're going to use.

I think you're going to be wasting your time.

Just me talking but I'd either throw those freebie certificates away or use them on some other car in your fleet. (See if they'll let you-- they might want to upsell other services etc)

You have the rest of the car's life ahead of it, why skimp now when any additional wear will affect you for the next 190k?

Free isn't for me. Eljefino nailed it. Odds are they won't let you use the freebies on another car, in which case I'd toss them.

The ester oil is unremarkable. It's ridiculously expensive and is borderlining on snake-oil.

We even ran it in my mom's VQ35HR motor (Infiniti EX35) and the UOA came back quite mediocre. No way was it worth $11/qt.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The ester oil is unremarkable. It's ridiculously expensive and is borderlining on snake-oil.

We even ran it in my mom's VQ35HR motor (Infiniti EX35) and the UOA came back quite mediocre. No way was it worth $11/qt.

Yes, but OP is looking for free oil. I'd take a synthetic or blend over a conventional oil any day if the price was the same (in OP's case - free). 0w20 is typically synthetic or at worst, a blend. Plus you'd get a tiny bit better gas mileage.

Bring with you 5-qt jug name brand 0W20 to dealer, have them use it instead of bulk Mobil Super 5W30.

You may want to bring a cleaned empty jug and demand they fill it with Mobil Super 5W30 that you didn't use.

I would just use the free oil changes and then go to whatever syn oil in 0w20 you prefer. Especially if you are doing OCI's of 3750.

Free oil is free oil, and oil from a dealership will meet manufacturer specs (that is to assume that a dealership does not want to dole out oil that voids its own warranty) - use it with confidence.

Last edited:
They aren't going to give you the high priced stuff for free, but you already know that.
FWIR, there isn't much ester in the Nissan branded oil.
As dparm noted, it appears to be pretty mediocre stuff anyway.
Use the free changes and then move on to something else.
I doubt that the Sentra's engine will suffer for it.

I have dealt with that dealer in Winchester and I wouldn't let them change my oil since I am not sure they would know how. But aside from horrible service if it was my car I would do the oil changes myself if they weren't willing to put it what is correct. It is a big investment on your part to buy the car. Why shouldn't it be serviced correctly? What is the point of giving the customer free service if they aren't going to do it right with the correct fluids? It won't hurt your car but why would you use the wrong oil on purpose?

71chevyguy- good to see a local on here! Whats your thoughts on TriState Nissan? I've never had any issues yet, then again all they've ever done is sell me the car and do the oil changes. I'm a ASE Certified Master tech, mostly do everything myself but hey these were free!

Yea I'm ok with Mobil dyno, its good stuff in my book so no real worries, I was just merely trying to get the "good stuff" for free out of them while I can. Oh well...

Once my year of free changes is up its going on a M1 0w20 or PU 0w20 diet anyway.

If 0W20 is in the manual as the recommended oil and they do not even stock it well, that to me is an issue. I had a similar problem with Toyota years ago and contacted Toyota directly and said the dealer did not stock the recommended oil (as your dealer is also using the cheapest bulk oil they can find that meets specs) Very soon after that the dealer started to keep the proper oil in inventory. If it is the suggested oil I would insist on it and just tell the service manager in writing that it is their responsibility to supply it. obviously go elsewhere or bring your own is an option.

I worked in service at a Nissan dealer for a couple years. Of course the Mobil 5w30 is fine and meets specs, but since Nissan recommends 0w20 (and 5w30 is simply 'acceptable') I think you have some ground to stand on. Nissan doesn't recommend Ester for the Sentra so that obviously wouldn't happen for free. When we had Sentras and Altimas come in with Free Oil changes we would use 0w20 (we had bulk Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20) unless for some reason the customer didn't want synthetic for free or they were scared of a 0w oil. The honest thing for Nissan and the dealership to do, in my opinion, is provide for you what is recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back