Laptop hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop, (ASUS P50IJ) has started to slow down at random times. Thought maybe roadrunner was choking, it does that once in awhile, especially since the heatbleede thing hit the news. This morning it locked up for a few seconds, then the HD spun up and it was loud and vibrating so you could hear and feel it. Yikes! I know that sound. New HD ! NOW! So a quick search found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Bl...ptop+hard+drive

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-...ptop+hard+drive

Also this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-240GB-mSAT...JWPMA53TZKRTFQ7

I really want an SSD but this one is not big enough, and a bigger one is not in the budget at this time, I have a new HVAC to pay for first. (-:

Thoughts, advice?

As soon as I logoff, I'm going to shut down the laptop and go to the desktop until It's fixed..

TIA

Wayne

Are you sure there wasn't a disc in the optical drive, that will cause spinning vibration.

Anyway, I had the seagate hybrid drive. You might consider that. I sold it to go full SSD. You should really just do that. Get a 240gb SSD for 100 bucks and find someplace better to store files (like an external hard drive or better yet something more fault tolerant like cloud or optical storage).

crucial m500 is slower than the old M4, go for a samsung 830, 840, 840evo or 840 pro

its definitely worth the 10% more or so for a samsung.
I have 3 crucial and 4 samsung in use

First problem to address - does you computer have or support Large Block Addressing?
Is your current hard drive above 320 gigs?

Second is heat - WD Black drives run warm / hot. Pushing the processor will heat things up more.

Third - SATA II VS SATA III...

Look at NewEgg for a Western Digital Blue, in a SATA II form, and 320 gigabytes if your current laptop drive is 320 or less...

Careful with some 1+ Terabyte drives, they are thicker than a normal 2.5 and won't fit...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
First problem to address - does you computer have or support Large Block Addressing?
Is your current hard drive above 320 gigs?

I think you mean Logical Block Addressing (LBA) and basically anything made in the late 90's and after supports it. You are probably thinking of the most recent incarnation of LBA, which came out in around 2003.

Most of the concerns with this stuff isn't applicable to SATA anyways, as the majority of the "quirky" limits were with IDE incarnations and OS limitations and had basically cleared up (save for the 2.1TB limit) by the time IDE had been completely replaced by SATA.

This laptop is relatively recent and probably running Windows 7.

Quote:
Second is heat - WD Black drives run warm / hot. Pushing the processor will heat things up more.

7,200RPM drives in general run hot compared to their 5,400RPM brethren.

Quote:
Third - SATA II VS SATA III...

Look at NewEgg for a Western Digital Blue, in a SATA II form, and 320 gigabytes if your current laptop drive is 320 or less...

Why? A SATA III drive in 500GB will work fine and is almost the exact same price
21.gif

Quote:
Careful with some 1+ Terabyte drives, they are thicker than a normal 2.5 and won't fit...

That of course depends on the laptop chassis and drive carriage but yes, it is something to be aware of. ~7mm, ~9mm, ~15mm.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Are you sure there wasn't a disc in the optical drive, that will cause spinning vibration.

Anyway, I had the seagate hybrid drive. You might consider that. I sold it to go full SSD. You should really just do that. Get a 240gb SSD for 100 bucks and find someplace better to store files (like an external hard drive or better yet something more fault tolerant like cloud or optical storage).

sick.gif
blush.gif
mad.gif
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Disk in the DVD drive....
From an install... Two weeks ago... Back in the day we called it operator problem.
spankme2.gif

Oh well.. Lots of good info. I do need to back this thing up and create a new install disk. Probably be a good idea to create an image.
Thanks folks, Back in the day I was a pretty good IT guy. We were called a Customer Engineer.

Wayne

Haha don't feel to bad! I just thought my HDD on my netbook was starting to go because whenever I booted up the computer it was really noisy. Well took the HDD out and booted and it turns out it's just the fan... Didn't think of trying that until someone suggested that it might be the fan.
27.gif

Don't forget Samsung 840 series SSDs. - well reputed, and one can get a good FREE data migration software for the swap from Samsung website. (will only work with Samsung SSDs)
EDIT: I see that Samsung SSDs were already recommended above.
smile.gif

Crucial offers a data migr. kit, but one has to pay for it, and it comes bundled with certain models only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Don't forget Samsung 840 series SSDs. - well reputed, and one can get a good FREE data migration software for the swap from Samsung website. (will only work with Samsung SSDs)
EDIT: I see that Samsung SSDs were already recommended above.
smile.gif

Crucial offers a data migr. kit, but one has to pay for it, and it comes bundled with certain models only.

I was looking at the Samsungs, good reviews, I'm pretty sure that is what I will do, it will just be a few months. I think I'm good till then.

Thanks,

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back