What oil filter for remote mount ATF application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either I suck at searching or I'm blind.

I want to add a spin on type filter to filter my ATF. Is it acceptable to use a filter designed for engine oil for ATF?

I've looked at the Parker Racor setup which filters down to 5 micron and is designed for transmissions, but I like the idea of readily available off the shelf parts.

That said, if an oil filter will suffice, what model filter is everybody running?

Originally Posted By: scoob8000
Either I suck at searching or I'm blind.

I want to add a spin on type filter to filter my ATF. Is it acceptable to use a filter designed for engine oil for ATF?

I've looked at the Parker Racor setup which filters down to 5 micron and is designed for transmissions, but I like the idea of readily available off the shelf parts.

That said, if an oil filter will suffice, what model filter is everybody running?

There are two general schools of add-on automatic transmission filters: the in-line filters like Magnefine and the spin-on filters with adaptor plates like B&M:

Remote Transmission Filter Kit

Using the B&M as an example, they specify the Fram PH43 or PH8a oil filters as replacements.

In general there is no reason why an engine oil filter can't be used as a transmission filter as long as it doesn't have something like the Fram High Mileage filters with additives unsuitable to automatic transmissions.

On the other hand, outside of racing and some extreme applications these filters are probably overkill.

I run the B&M kit and use a hydraulic filter rated at 10 microns from NAPA (1269) which is made by WIX and available just about anywhere. Just go to wixfilters and check out the 51269 for more information. This filter is not expensive when compared to some transmission specific filters.

Find an auto parts store that will let you look at their big oil filter catalog from a major maker like WIX/NAPA or Baldwin/Hastings. The filters are listed by the thread and gasket diameter you'll need to fit the remote housing. Then they are listed by application---motor oil, hydraulic oil (including transmissions), and the combination. I'd pick a filter that was rated for either hydaulic or combined motor & hydraulic.

I have had a spin on filter for my transmission on two separate trucks. Currently have one on my Dakota. I have always used standard engine oil filters including Fram PH8A, Purolator L30001, Napa Gold and Silver 1515 and currently has a Wix filter on the Dakota. Here's a link to a Motorcraft filter which I cut open that was on the Dakota for a year. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Cut#Post3156790

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
Here's a link to a Motorcraft filter which I cut open that was on the Dakota for a year. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Cut#Post3156790

One thing it illustrates well is that in a closed system like an automatic transmission this level of filtration is probably overkill.

Automatics produce filterable particles primarily under three conditions: the first few thousand break-in miles, the last few thousand before it finally fails, and extreme use.

That's why the Hondas and Accuras have an in-line transmission filter without a service recommendation - it's there to capture the break-in particles, after which it bypasses and just sits there.

Thanks for the replies!

I was actually leaning towards the Parker filter, but think I'm going to go with the oil filter route. Lot more filters available for replacement.

I've always had a magnefine on the car, but we just had the transmission rebuilt and do some racing with it. Since I'm replumbing the cooler setup with braided lines and AN fittings, the magefine won't plumb in very cleanly.

I'm going to get the adapter that takes a PH8A equivalent and look at the Wix Hydraulic filters at my napa.

Dufus2, Does your B&M mount call for a PH8A style filter and that Wix PN fits it? I just compared the gasket specs, and they're only about a tenth of an inch different.

I also guess these hydraulic filters should have no issue dealing with the heat of trans fluid?

I'm probably overthinking all this, but this car is my baby and I just put a lot of money into the trans.
smile.gif

An inline filter would probably suffice. I would be more concerned about adding an external cooler - you don't mention your vehicle. Heat is what kills transmissions.

Last edited:
I'm going to get the adapter that takes a PH8A equivalent and look at the Wix Hydraulic filters at my napa.

Dufus2, Does your B&M mount call for a PH8A style filter and that Wix PN fits it? I just compared the gasket specs, and they're only about a tenth of an inch different.

I called B&M and was told to use the PH8A and it came with a slim version called Purolator V1A. I studied many filters and determined that the smaller filter was easier to fit under the hood and has ample filtering capacity.

The particle count on my transmission was in the mid 20s and this filter cleaned it up in 200 miles of driving, you could tell there was a difference in the way it shifted.

I paid around $12 for the filter and Summit has the base and filter for a reasonable price. I believe the wix PN for a PH8A is 51515 and you can put it in the search box at wixfilters to convert most numbers.

user52165,

I actually had a magnefine inline that I removed because I'm installing a bigger cooler and using all AN fittings with my lines. I'm actually installing a 34 row stacked plate cooler with fan on it too.

Application is a 95' Caprice/Impala SS with the LT1 and 4l60e trans if your curious. Had a local guy build be a beefy trans and mated it up with a 3200 stall 10" converter.

Dufus2,
Thanks I'm ordering it from Summit now along with my hoses and fittings.

user52165,

I actually had a magnefine inline that I removed because I'm installing a bigger cooler and using all AN fittings with my lines. I'm actually installing a 34 row stacked plate cooler with fan on it too.

Application is a 95' Caprice/Impala SS with the LT1 and 4l60e trans if your curious. Had a local guy build be a beefy trans and mated it up with a 3200 stall 10" converter.

Dufus2,
Thanks I'm ordering it from Summit now along with my hoses and fittings.

Sounds good! Know that well since I have a 94 Roadmaster wagon with similar setup and deep pan adds 2 qts ATF. LT1 rock!

Last edited:
I run an FL1A sized filter on my B&M mount on my F150.

It's been there for about 4 years, change the filter out once a year, and I haven't had any issues.

I like the idea that I can use anything in the FL1A size, as you can find it just about anywhere.

Can them ATF Filters cause the Transmission pump to overwork to push that fluid through the the Filter it comes with in the PAN or in some AT the ones inside the Tranny.. Then having to push the ATF through another Filter...

Could that cause the Transmission Fluid PUMP to overwork?

I mean some of them filters are just Oil filters correct?

Have you checked this unit out? http://www.dieselsite.com/2008-201064lfordpsddieselsitetransmissionfiltersystem.aspx I had it book marked.

The redesigned version is due out shortly. Probably overkill to some people. It has an internal bypass valve and a gauge telling you when to change the filter. It's easy to do a line exchange with. It's not cheap, but it looks like you're getting what you pay for in quality and functionality. A friend of mine used one and turned me onto it, he liked it a lot.

So I finally got everything installed. Just need to wire up the fan yet and I'll be set.

I ended up using a Permacool mount with 3/8 fittings so it was easier to adapt to AN size fittings. Put a Mobil 1 M1-301 filter on it. The big thing that made me choose that filter was the case thickness. It's not really mounted in the safest location, but it's also not a daily driver.

Cooler is a Derale Hyper-Cool stacked plate unit with fan.

yN7EHzol.jpg

It's a 95' Chevy Caprice. Same thing as the 94-96 Impala SS's

So not having the magnet in the filter like the old magnefine is bothering me. I know the filtermags have mixed feedback but I'm thinking of getting the RA365 to slap on the side of the filter.

But aren't any of the ferrous particles that would get caught by the magnet probably large enough to get caught in the filter medium anyway?

I've got a lot of money tied up in this transmission and converter. I guess another $80 of protection couldn't hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back