Valve job pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a "mobile mechanic" doing a valve job on my 2001 GMC Savana work van. I have to do the intake manifold gasket, so it seems like now is the time to see to the heads as well. Here are some initial pics before the heads come off.

Left side
20140423_150114_zpsbd0c981a.jpg

Right side
20140423_150317_zps85ebfb46.jpg

Rockers and pushrods and so on
20140423_150517_zps9d3f8ac3.jpg

Interesting how the right side seems to have less varnish. Maybe it's a trick of the light. I'll get more pics when the heads come off.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Surprised you didn't seem to keep the rockers and pushrods in the order they came from. I usually do that. Ed

Same thought here. Had a tech not keep them in order and had running issues after we put it back together. Unless they are doing all new parts?

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Surprised you didn't seem to keep the rockers and pushrods in the order they came from. I usually do that. Ed

Same thought here. Had a tech not keep them in order and had running issues after we put it back together. Unless they are doing all new parts?

I'm no mechanic, but I thought the same thing when I saw all those push rods in a pile.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
What is a "mobile mechanic?"

A mechanic without a shop. I assume he works a little cheaper than a brick and mortar place, but he gets all the money?
Not a bad idea in a place with reasonable weather.

Absolutely!

OMG, that is a recipe for failure. All those valvetrain components on that V6 need to be kept in exact order so they go back where they came from!

Might be worth buying new ones now...

Yep. Big no-no not keeping those parts numbered and in order. The wear areas of rockers, pushrods, lifters,cam lobes are specifically mated to each other after a lifetime of rubbing and rolling together. Put back them together haphazardly and valve train geometry will be different and wear will accelerate.

I wouldn't work like that but realistically nothing really terrible is going to happen unless he removed the roller lifters and mixed them up.
The pushrods are not going to wear much as they rotate in the lifter and rocker arm and are in oil all the time.

IMHO the only slightly accelerated wear will probably be at the rocker roller tip and being a roller it might not be all that bad.
Working like this is indefensible but lets not get the OP worked up in a sweat, the horse is out of the barn. I don't see a total failure of any of the parts just a little additional wear.

Lifters are the big concern and I don't think they've been pulled? Just rockers and push rods will be fine. OP- How many miles on this?

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
What is a "mobile mechanic?"

someone you pay small amounts of money to, to do a low quality repair job

I would question what quality of work a person that mixes up parts like this will provide. This is lesson #1 in high school auto mechanics from my experience. I would not deal with any auto technician that has not beem certified. You get what you pay for IMO.

Oldtommy

Even those of us who are not certified/pro mechanics know better than to mix up pushrods like that-all it takes is a shoebox or similar with holes punched in it & marked to keep them organized. I'd be concerned with dirt getting into the disassembled engine too-around here it's been pretty windy & kicking up a lot of dust almost daily-make sure that guy covers EVERYTHING while he's not actually working on it.

Had no idea I would stir up such controversy. To answer some questions, I don't know how many miles are on the engine, when I got it the odometer wasn't working. I've been changing the oil at about 5000 mi. Since I've had it, it's had VWB, QSGB, MaxLife, and Mobil 1 HM. And maybe Pennzoil.

Here are some pics of the pistons.

Right side:
20140424_154421_zps87db720b.jpg

Left side:
20140424_154342_zps7a359e45.jpg

Originally Posted By: JR
jhs914, you hit it on the head with the hammer.. You'll have to go new now.

kc

no 2 stock springs have exactly the same pressure. The rocker arms wore according the the pressure necessary to depress them, so the wear on each is different. Same for the pushrods. I would not be surprised if there is valve train noise after a few thousand miles. Not right away but after a few thousand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back