Pork Brine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allright, I brine my chicken a lot, But not always the pork.

Found this and wonder what do you guys use for your Chops, Loins etc.

3 cups water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

I do that with my chickens and turkeys but with 1 cup salt/ but only kosher salt. Never tried it with pork, I guess I will now.

Alton Brown - Pulled pork recipe
01.gif

Ingredients
Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

I think his recipe has far too little salt to qualify as a brine. (Compare to Brown's shown above). Sure has a lot of sugar though.

Brining works great for pork!

I love animals. They're delicious!

Originally Posted By: i812
Alton Brown - Pulled pork recipe
01.gif

Ingredients
Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water
6 to 8 pound Boston butt

Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

I'm not making pulled pork tho, That I have a whole different way for.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I think his recipe has far too little salt to qualify as a brine. (Compare to Brown's shown above). Sure has a lot of sugar though.

Probably, But I have cut down on my salt intake a lot and really dont miss it much.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

Probably, But I have cut down on my salt intake a lot and really dont miss it much.

OK. But if you cut the salt way back in a brine, it won't function properly. You can always rinse off the meat afterwards. You can also limit the time. Thicker cuts take longer than thin. For 1" thick porkchops, 45min is plenty. Just don't leave them 4hrs or overnight.

Cooks Illustrated has many guides on brining.

OK. But if you cut the salt way back in a brine, it won't function properly. You can always rinse off the meat afterwards. You can also limit the time. Thicker cuts take longer than thin. For 1" thick porkchops, 45min is plenty. Just don't leave them 4hrs or overnight.

Cooks Illustrated has many guides on brining.

Great advice I like.

But you do know that sugars do what salts do in a brine?

Besides the flavour.

Last edited:
I have a number of marinades that I use. One of my favorites is an Asian marinade that I use for pork loin.

2 cups mirin
2 cups soy sauce
4 pieced of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 sliced orange
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 cups cold water

Give it an overnight soak, brown the loin in a skillet for about 10 minutes, and then put it in a roasting pan in the oven until it's cooked.

OK. But if you cut the salt way back in a brine, it won't function properly.

Many people use "brine" as a generic term for an overnight marinade to add flavor. While true brining does require salt, there are many ways to tenderize and add a lot of flavor to foods with an overnight marinade that don't require salt.

Originally Posted By: dave123
No need to brine I don't over cook

Cooking time has nothing to do with it. It's a way to add flavor and additional dimensions to different cuts of meat. If you don't occasionally brine or marinade, you're missing out on a way to really make meats taste fantastic.

But you do know that sugars do what salts do in a brine?

Besides the flavour.

They both tenderize and reduce moisture loss. The salt denatures the protein in meat, and allows water to get trapped between the unbound proteins. It allows the meat to retain more moisture and makes it moist.

The sugar also works the same way, but to a lesser extent than the salt does.

Great advice I like. But you do know that sugars do what salts do in a brine? Besides the flavour.

Well Na isn't exactly glucose and it unravels the ends of protein strands unlike sugar. Sugar helps by encouraging browning. If you're on a Na-restricted diet, then don't use it.

Cook's Illustrated has done many tests on brines, what level of Na is effective & sufficient, so I yield to them.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

OK. But if you cut the salt way back in a brine, it won't function properly.

Many people use "brine" as a generic term for an overnight marinade to add flavor. While true brining does require salt, there are many ways to tenderize and add a lot of flavor to foods with an overnight marinade that don't require salt.

Your marinade looks good there PR. I'll make a note.

Perhaps. However, to me, there is a distict difference re: brine vs. marinade. The only thing I've ever 'brined' overnight is a 14# un-injected turkey. IOW, a plain bird. My SIL made the mistake of brining an injected bird and unfortunately, her gravy was incredibly salty. I felt bad for her at table. She didn't understand it's not a blanket rule.

I've learned over the years that SS as well as other glutamates are quite effective on red meat as well. Though I'd never soak a steak overnight.

Finally another thing to keep in mind is water vs. oil soluble herbs and flavors. The later is quite important in a marinade.

The best pulled pork (boston butt) I ever made and go so many complements on was brined overnight. I have tasted nothing better either from myself or others. Same thing with turkey, I use Alton Brown's method on that it is heavenly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
The best pulled pork (boston butt) I ever made and go so many complements on was brined overnight. I have tasted nothing better either from myself or others. Same thing with turkey, I use Alton Brown's method on that it is heavenly.
I get the same complements from my butts. Never use a brine. Take it out of the fridge. Cover with yellow mustard and whatever rub I have around. The great taste comes from cooking it right. Cooked properly both will be excellent. Poorly cooked neither will be great. Not brining is less work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back