After 900 days without, turned the cable TV on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally gave in. After 900+ days without cable, I gave up and had it turned back on.

But here's the kicker. They knocked the price of all of the packages in half for the first year, gave me a DVR with no monthly charges, no re-connection fees, and are giving ME $300 on top of all of that.

Considering the half price service and the $300 cash, they're going to be paying for the first 10 months of my service.

grin.gif

That's not bad. BUT how long did you have to sign up for, and what will it cost for that whole time period?

My former provider sends me, I dunno but it's darn near daily, a flier about signing back up. Half price for the next year, etc. No plans to do so though. 9 years and counting. NHPTV & Netflix. I've already told my wife that once we run out of episodes of Bones I'm not real interested in starting a new series to watch in the evening--I'll buy a set of headphones and read instead.

Provider: AT&T U-Verse.
Other media? Other than what I could stream over the internet for free, I went without.
There's no contract. To get the $300, the only requirement is that I have to keep TV service for 30 days.

I kept the internet service active from AT&T through the 900 day period that I didn't have TV. Now that I have TV (and a DVR again), I throttled the internet connection way back... so I'm saving money there as well. My overall bill is only going to go up by $15 a month.

The DVR is how they hook you. They figure you'll fill up their DVR and never want to give it back.
lol.gif

We haven't had TV at our house for about 10 years. Just movies, internet, etc.

I don't miss it one bit. I enjoy some History Channel stuff as well as the Speed channel.. But that's about it. Usually I can watch that online.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I don't miss it one bit. I enjoy some History Channel stuff as well as the Speed channel.. But that's about it. Usually I can watch that online.

How do you catch a ball game?

mrsilv04 said:
I finally gave in. After 900+ days without cable, I gave up and had it turned back on.

But here's the kicker. They knocked the price of all of the packages in half for the first year, gave me a DVR with no monthly charges, no re-connection fees, and are giving ME $300 on top of all of that.

Considering the half price service and the $300 cash, they're going to be paying for the first 10 months of my service.

grin.gif
[/quote

What made you give up? The sign up offer of life without cable TV? We have Comcast cable only here so hardly any deals.

I cut the cord 6 months ago. I listen to all baseball games on the radio (I almost prefer it to watching on television) and I can get Browns' games over the air with my antenna. I live 35 miles south of Cleveland so my attic antenna picks up the major networks. If you are a person who cannot live without watching supports, check out a Slingbox. I had one when I was stationed in Germany.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

How do you catch a ball game?

Lol. Never was really into watching sports on TV. I'll go to a minor league hockey or baseball game occasionally, but that's about it.

Did you guys hear about the supreme court case involving a company which pipes live TV using fake pico antennas? It is an interesting case and even more interesting way to circumvent existing laws and regulation!

I do like how the company uses "antenna in the cloud - just like cloud computing - your antenna is at antenna farm rather than on your roof" concept though. That is very clever but since the justices have caught on that it is done solely to circumvent the well-established revenue sharing model, I have a feeling that it will not fly. I would love to have a justice ask the company to show them how the dime sized antenna is able to pick up live TV inside the court room. I suspect the dime sized antenna is nothing but placebo.

The wife wants cable back. I'm ambivalent about it. Most of the stuff we'd watch on cable we can watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix without the ads. I'd rather save the money for a nice vacation.

I kept Directv to keep the wife sane. Without it, I'd probably have cable, although one of the spare room TVs I get a lot of OTA digital channels which myself could live with just that, well, if it wasn't for the wife. So I keep something so I can eat and live.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Better you than me.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

grin.gif

$30/month? Less than most pay Im sure, but I wonder what happens at month 12... Is the $30/month now $60 or more? I know you said youre getting "half" price, but my fear is that youre getting half of a teaser rate that resets higher than $60/mo.

I dropped cable TV but my internet cost is now $70/month. My wife could not live without a show on broadcast TV so we use Aereo TV although it costs $8/month but has a DVR service to pickup broadcast TV in Boston streamed over internet.

I am using Basic Talk for telephone its ho hum for $10/month compared to my prior xfinity cable phone.

I pay xfinity $70/month instead of $190 prior. $120 savings is nice but definitely notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back