Jeep Liberty Tow Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meep
sorry-- I should have clarified--- I just pulled the 580/NAG as an example and the 545 as another strictly for gear ratio. Doesn't matter the unit--- the principle remains the same.

... and ... I am a huge NAG1 fan. it was probably the best part of the 08 WK I used to own. Fantastic trans.

My only gripe with the analogy is that the final O/D gearing in automatic trannies isn't just a big gear driving a small gear. Its a planetary set, with something like the planet-carrier driving the ring gear with the sun-gear held fixed... in which case the driven gear actually has the biggest tooth area of all (note there are other ways to step up ratios with planetary sets as well, so it may not be done the way I describe in a given tranny). Direct drive (highest non-O/D gear) in most rear-drive automatics doesn't actually involve any gears at all- the planetary sets are locked together so that the whole transmission becomes a solid shaft, so its clear why that's the preferred gear for sustained heavy loading.

Another issue is the TC lockup programming. Take your examples again: the NAG-1 is primarily a car transmission (though it is very tough and got put in WK and WK2s which are tow rated and moderately heavy), and uses the typical car-like variable-lockup schedule where the TC clutch can be deliberately slipping for a good bit of time. The clutch is made to take it with plenty of cooling available, but its really only supposed to do that under relatively light loading- the weight of the vehicle itself without a trailer. The 545RFE is a truck transmission, and when you put it in either "Tow/Haul" mode (which picks the lowest 5 gears out of the 6 available, including 1 of the 2 overdrives, instead of skipping "2-prime" like the regular mode does) or "OD Off" mode (which locks out both O/D gears), it changes up its TC lock schedule so that there's a whole lot less deliberate partial-lock time than when you're in normal mode. So even though "Tow/Haul" mode still includes an overdrive, its OK to use so long as the transmission isn't forced to do a lot of hunting, in which case its time to go to "O/D off."

But the take-home is the same: O/D should be used sparingly when towing, and only if its specifically allowed in the owners' manual.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: meep
sorry-- I should have clarified--- I just pulled the 580/NAG as an example and the 545 as another strictly for gear ratio. Doesn't matter the unit--- the principle remains the same.

... and ... I am a huge NAG1 fan. it was probably the best part of the 08 WK I used to own. Fantastic trans.

My only gripe with the analogy is that the final O/D gearing in automatic trannies isn't just a big gear driving a small gear. Its a planetary set, with something like the planet-carrier driving the ring gear with the sun-gear held fixed... in which case the driven gear actually has the biggest tooth area of all (note there are other ways to step up ratios with planetary sets as well, so it may not be done the way I describe in a given tranny). Direct drive (highest non-O/D gear) in most rear-drive automatics doesn't actually involve any gears at all- the planetary sets are locked together so that the whole transmission becomes a solid shaft, so its clear why that's the preferred gear for sustained heavy loading.

Another issue is the TC lockup programming. Take your examples again: the NAG-1 is primarily a car transmission (though it is very tough and got put in WK and WK2s which are tow rated and moderately heavy), and uses the typical car-like variable-lockup schedule where the TC clutch can be deliberately slipping for a good bit of time. The clutch is made to take it with plenty of cooling available, but its really only supposed to do that under relatively light loading- the weight of the vehicle itself without a trailer. The 545RFE is a truck transmission, and when you put it in either "Tow/Haul" mode (which picks the lowest 5 gears out of the 6 available, including 1 of the 2 overdrives, instead of skipping "2-prime" like the regular mode does) or "OD Off" mode (which locks out both O/D gears), it changes up its TC lock schedule so that there's a whole lot less deliberate partial-lock time than when you're in normal mode. So even though "Tow/Haul" mode still includes an overdrive, its OK to use so long as the transmission isn't forced to do a lot of hunting, in which case its time to go to "O/D off."

But the take-home is the same: O/D should be used sparingly when towing, and only if its specifically allowed in the owners' manual.

Magnum I always enjoy your posts--- you are spot on and I always learn something too.

I know the force has to go somewhere... so thinking about it, I think it is the sun gear that gets all the pressure in the gearing of the planetary. Yes indeed my analogy breaks down as the driven gear is big and large. However the sun gear also has equal forces on it from 3 (?) planetaries-- and it's relatively small and all of that energy becomes concentrated there. Just a guess on my part.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I see what you're saying. For a while I wondered about GM's gearing on their trucks, the 4L60's that is, with a preference for 3.42 and maybe sometimes 3.73. 3rd becomes a primary towing gear, with 2nd for hill climbing; OD is for unloaded. Sorta makes sense.

I see your point about direct drive having less gears meshed; less heat buildup. But over/underdrive will do that, no? Only direct drive is the lowest heat generating gear.

Which brings me to an oddity: GM's 6L80E:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L80_transmission
with gear ratios of 4.027/2.364/1.532/1.152/0.852/0.667
Direct drive seems to be missing... and yet they still want to sell most with 3.42's. Or taller.

Quote:

So far that is one of the sad things I find about my Tundra. T/H seems to have no impact on TC lockup, only shift points. I'd drive in T/H to firm up shifts and have more aggressive lockup--if it made a difference. Annoyingly, it will not do lockup in 3rd either, only "flexible" lockup (4th and up can have full or flex lockup). Seems wise to keep an eye on trans temp and force downshifts as necessary in case of heat buildup.

Supton, it is interesting to me that your '10 Tundra runs warmer than my 06. Would be interesting to know what all toyota did and why.

I can lock out O/D (5th) and all it does is lock it out. stays in 4th, shifts the same, shift points are the same. But my trans temps are affected.

I have run the torque app and now have a hardwired gauge--- and the numbers correlate. ... unloaded, it never really gets over 125-130F. Loaded, with O/D off, it crawls to 160F and stays pretty close to there +/- 2-3F on the hwy. IF I enable OD, it immediately begins to rise to 180F, at which point I believe a t-stat opens as it drops rapidly to 160 and stays there. (this is all level ground, tach rock-solid, TC locked up). However they design the trans in my 06, they like 160. My tow load is a 5100lb (dry) camper--- easily over 6k loaded with stuff in the bed too (firewood, etc), so it's close to the rated max for the truck.

Never misses a beat.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back