need some help from windows phone users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my Nokia 925 since Christmas and have loved it so far but I'm currently having a slight issue with it. I had a racing game installed on it, I think it was asphalt 8 or something along those lines. Anyways, the last couple times it said there was an update for it, I would start down loading it, and my available storage would go from just over 3gb down to 1 or less. The first time it happened, I deleted some stuff off my phone and got my available memory back up over 3gb. This happened again last week, only I was using several apps during the download/update for this game and my available memory got so low that the phone didn't have enough to operate and it froze up. Once I turned it off and back on, I immediately canceled the download and uninstalled the game. The problem in having now is my available memory won't come back, its still around 1gb, and I keep getting notifications that there's an app update available in he store, but when I open my store app, here's nothing there. It acts like the game is installed yet, but it doesn't show up in my games yet. I've tryed doing a soft reset several times and it hasn't helped. I'm thinking it may need a hard reset. Any suggestions? I suppose I will loose all apps that I paid for, correct? I've backed up my data in settings, and my pictures in SkyDrive, or what ever they've renamed it. My issue is with my contact list/phone numbers. When I got the phone and manually entered the contacts, I didn't understand why it was asking me hotmail or google and was just selecting what ever. Well no I come to realize it was asking me what email account to save them too ( I think ) and now I can't figure out how to change it before I do a hard reset.

I have a Nokia 920 for work and IT has had some issues with it as well but I typically don't download stuff to it to avoid those issues that you mentioned. I never do the updates which is probably not smart but I haven't had any issues though either. I don't think you lose your apps if you do a hard reboot as some other people here at work have had a hard reboot done and I don't recall them losing all of their apps, but I would double check first. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.

If you do a hard reset, you can re-download any apps you've purchased. You shouldn't have to pay twice.

As for your contacts, as long as they've been syncing with your Microsoft Live account, you'll be fine.

So long as you've set up a microsoft account (like Live mentioned above), your contacts are synced with the cloud, as are all of your apps. Your live tile arrangement is not. So long as that is set up, you'll get everything except the live tile arrangement back (once you hook up to wi fi - that way the reset doesn't kill your data).

As far as apps go, all the major ones are there. Almost all the stuff there isn't an app for I can take care of on the web anyway, without an app.

(Lumia 925 user here - just upgraded a week ago from a Lumia 900)

Had the same thing happen on the Wife's IPAD original w/32GB storage. She had about 17gb and tried downloading some large app like Audubon app and it choked before it installed. We couldn't free up the storage with soft reset and the "fuel tank" bar graph in ITunes dint show where then storage was being used up. Tried wiping all apps and syncing and that didn't help.So we finally bit the bullet and wiped it to install OS 5.XX and then ... everything is fine now and free mem is back to 23GB! Working with ITunes on a PC is a pain though. It's like a borrowing a HP reverse polish calc in the 70s when you w3re a TI guy normally running a SR-51A
smile.gif

Log in to your microsoft account (like live.com, outlook.com, etc...). Click on the inbox icon in the upper left and you should get a list to popout like out inbox/contacts/calendar/etc... Check your contacts - they should reflect what was on your phone. If so, you've been syncing them up.

Thanks,
Jason

Tryed the hard reset last night and it took care of all my problems. Worked pretty smoothly for the most part. All my apps were saved, some even updated, like Nokia drive and Nokia maps, when I downloaded them from backup. I've now gone from 1gb of storage space, up to just over 5. Phone is working much smoother now. Weird part is, it consistently would show that windows was using 4gb of the available space, now its around 2.25gb. I did have to go back into settings and reset a few things to my preference, but most of the settings did come back after the reset. Took pics of my start up screen with my wife's phone and uploaded them to my SkyDrive before the reset. This made getting my tiles set up a lot easier. I've also added a couple apps and downloaded all maps of the USA this time around and I still have more storage space than before I started having issues, so it looks like there may have been a problem long before I noticed. Thanks for the help guys;)

iPhones and Androids also suffer from excessive "stuff" being left behind when apps are being installed, uninstalled and updated. A hard reset or data wipe is a good thing once things start to slow down.
That is why with my Z30 I'm just sticking to the basic apps I use, no more useless games and apps just because they look cool, but end up being pointless.

When updating from WP8 to 8.1 involves a wipe. In fact, if you updated from WP8 to the pre-req update package, the installer copies all data (somehow) away (different partition?), reinstalls the OS clean, then copies the user data & apps back. Took about an hour to install the pre-req update on my Nokia 521.

As far as I know, 8.1 isn't out yet for T-Mobile phones. Intact I didn't think it had been released at all yet. I'm excited for it though, hoping it takes care of some of the " oddities" of windows 8 compared to the others. I like the fact that its different, I prefer it to apple or android, but not being able to set volume for the ring tones, videos, and other stuff independently, for example, just seems kinda weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back