A new car, from Boeing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A diesel, and with 240 HP? It'd work in the civilian world too. I predict it will be known among the troops as the "Honey" Badger.

Seems like an expensive one off way to do what a Jeep, Land Rover, or G wagon already does.

The Marines have the right idea, ditch the Humvee for G wagons.

In an era of budget constraints why spend probably six figures on this thing when ready made off the shelf vehicles will do the same thing for a fraction of that?

Last edited:
It is 7 inches narrower than my Tracker, and looks substantially lower, weighs 3500lbs and hauls 3500lbs. Kind of unique specs. I imagine it could snake through a mature woods where an off the shelf vehicle would be hopeless.

It turns in 24 feet with 4-wheel steering? A london taxi can do it in 25 with normal steering.

Article mentions it'll fit in helicopters which is sort of dandy; though now we'll need or invent an excuse to chopper a jeep badger(tm) in somewhere for a cruise around at significant expense.
frown.gif
Maybe what we save with drones will pay for it.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
I WANT one! I don't care what the drawbacks are, I..just..WANT..one!
19.gif

You could have these:
http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20131028-war-machines-for-sale

There are some definite 2nd choices there but nothing that quite measures up to the Boeing rig.

That Polaris ATV is pretty bad, but really, it's something I'd pull behind the Phantom Badger!

Nah, I'm holding out. Gotta' have some goals, right?

7800 pounds. That's pretty much a pig. That'll bog down in muck good.

The original Jeep would be much cheaper and as useful. Build 20 of those for what one of these costs.

I like the giant wheels and tires and how well they got them tucked in flush with the sides of the vehicle.

I'm majorly impressed by that new Jeep.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
When I saw it I thought it might be the answer to the military's needs.

But I don't know the question?

I had an uncle that served in the SAS during WWII, they used a Modified Jeep like this:
http://www.warwheels.net/images/JeepSASduxfordEJ1.jpg

Flashbacks to my old Commando comics with that one.

To the OP...get the US to make it, and quadruple the price, and Oz will buy them by the Gross...

The only thing I'm wondering about is why it needs 4-wheel steering. Usually 4-wheel steering is reserved for very large vehicles such as fire department ladder trucks so they can go around the corners of city streets. This Jeep is so small, it looks like it could turn on a dime with just front wheel steering.

4WS is on many cars.

Most cars using it turn the rear wheels opposite the fronts at low speed and then the same way as the fronts at high speed.

It really isn't used to shrink the turning circle, but it is an excellent idea for a city car...

With front wheel steering you have to turn the front wheels further to turn as tightly as with 4-wheel steering. The further you turn those wheels the more stress you put on the driveline joints. Add in a lot of suspension travel and the 4-wheel steering could be a very good thing.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
With front wheel steering you have to turn the front wheels further to turn as tightly as with 4-wheel steering. The further you turn those wheels the more stress you put on the driveline joints. Add in a lot of suspension travel and the 4-wheel steering could be a very good thing.

Hmm, yes. Also, with such large tires on a vehicle that small, they are probably limited how much they can turn, especially up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back