Engine noise with Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shpankey
I don't think the M1 0w-30 gets the love it deserves here on BITOG tho, for some reason.

It got plenty of love when the rebate was going on! I guess for M1, not getting hate is a step in the right direction!

Originally Posted By: wtd
This was also my experience years ago when I ran Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 98 chevy truck with the 5.7L. Mine would get noisier the hotter the engine got. I also had the same issues with 10W-30 Mobil 1. I also had higher than normal iron levels and higher oil consumption. I currently run 5W-30 Valvoline conventional and have no startup tapping and the engine is quiet when its idling.

Wayne

Interesting.
35.gif

This is an old thread resurrected. M1 0w30 AFE for a week now in my 88 E-150, nice and quiet. I had stopped using Mobil 1 when this thread was started, wow how times have changed.

When I used to sell used cars a few years back, whenever we ran into a car with a very quiet engine, we assumed the owner used Mobil 1. Many of them did, especially truck owners. I haven't ever noticed M1 making an engine noisier, but I guess it's possible. Chevy has no problem recommending M1 5W-30 for some very hi horsepower V8s, so it can't be too bad.

Ahh, yes...The old metal shredding PAO Mobil 1 of the past. The new formulations are much better. The new formulation M1 0w40 is now a decent oil.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yep, that old 0W-40 M1 was no good at all. Only ran my 04 3500 van 500k miles, just think how far a GOOD oil would have gone...

Yep, I bet you would have doubled that mileage.
Trolling.gif
LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yep, that old 0W-40 M1 was no good at all. Only ran my 04 3500 van 500k miles, just think how far a GOOD oil would have gone...

Trolling.gif
LOL

Just think of all those poor fools out there using the stuff! The carnage, the destruction...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Trolling.gif
LOL

Just think of all those poor fools out there using the stuff! The carnage, the destruction...

Yep, their engines grinding themselves to death.

"Yep, I bet you would have doubled that mileage."

At LEAST!

Even XOM claims the new formulation M1 0w40 significantly decreases valve train wear.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
I wouldn't run that junk in my lawnmower.

I wouldn't either....But I do run it in my Mercedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back