Delvac 0w40 vs M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

My v8 Porsche Cyanne calls for 0w40 M1.

Would Delvac 0w40 work as well or better ?

Thank you

No, stick with the 0w40 Euro formula, the Delvac does not meet the specifications required for your engine and is formulated for diesel engines.

Also the viscosity is higher at all temperatures than necessary compared to the Euro formula. You would be going from a 13.5 cSt @ 100C to a 15.2 cSt @ 100C, and also i am sure the HTHSV is much higher.

Basically too many reasons for you to NOT use anything but the Euro formula 0w40.

Viscosity its actually what I like about this oil.
This car can take 5w50 as well.

Is it Delvac ESP? If so, I wouldn't use it unless you're planning to change it often.

Personally I'd stick with M1 0w-40 for its stronger add pack.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Viscosity its actually what I like about this oil.
This car can take 5w50 as well.

Just because M1 5W-50 is on the Porsche A40 list of approved lubes doesn't mean it would be a better choice to M1 0W-40.
I can guarantee that M1 0W-40 is more than heavy
enough for any use you will subject your Cyanne to.

Would Delvac 0w40 work as well or better ?

In the States, I doubt you could do better by going out of specification, considering the price of M1 0w-40 down there. The Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 is lower in TBN than the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40.

Hi Garak,

Ndx is Canadian located most of the time in Southern Ontario hence the question about the readily available Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40.
Being a 0W-40 with the same 186 VI as M1 0W-40 it has a lot in common and is priced the same if not cheaper up here.
Delvac ESP 5W-40 is heavier still with a much lower VI (150) than any PCMO 5W-40. Not the best choice for a modern gas engined car but (as you've pointed out) it is better than a 15W-40 (small consolation).

Ahh, I didn't realize he was stuck in Canada much of the time. But, if he does have the chance to stock up on M1 0w-40 in the States, that would be worthwhile. And yes, the Delvac 1 (in just about any variety) is cheaper than the M1 0w-40 up here. The other alternative for Canadians is the Castrol 0w-40, which I've seen in the big jugs and rolled back with other Castrol products at Canadian Tire and Walmart.

As for VI, I am getting tempted by the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30. It's at least in 5 gallon pails, which I prefer. If I do get around to getting some, should I pick you up a pail of Delvac 1340 while I'm at it?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
The other alternative for Canadians is the Castrol 0w-40, which I've seen in the big jugs and rolled back with other Castrol products at Canadian Tire and Walmart.

As for VI, I am getting tempted by the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30. It's at least in 5 gallon pails, which I prefer. If I do get around to getting some, should I pick you up a pail of Delvac 1340 while I'm at it?
wink.gif

M1 0W-40 out spec's Castrol 0W-40, so unless it can be had for a lot less (it can't) M1 remains the better deal on both sides of the border.

I was a fan of Esso's XD-3 0W-30 which they made a point of declaring it was PAO based but I'm uncertain about Delvac Elite 222 0W-30, and it's PP of "only" -45C makes me wonder if it's MRV is anywhere near as impressive as XD-3s 14,900cP.
If you are serious about picking up some I'd try to get the MRV spec's out of Imperial Oil and for ESP 1 0W-40 while you're at it and whether they are still PAO based?
I tried a couple of years ago but got a rep' that simply told me it's unavailable simple because it's not on the PDS. The info is available as it is for all Mobil oils, it's just a matter of getting hold of he right person in the know.
In your climate where MRV is relevant I would think someone, even a knowledgeable Imperial Oil depot salesman, should have the answer.

Well, the only benefit to the Castrol 0w-40 is when there is a rollback, and I'm assuming it's got the Porsche approval. I saw it on sale here once at WM for around $28 per jug. With an M1 0w-40 rollback being around $8 (if we're lucky) for a 1 litre bottle, the Castrol could offer a good deal. Then again, all that Imperial Oil has to do is bring M1 0w-40 up here in the jugs.

As for the Delvac Elite 222, I may have to fire them off an email. You're right that it would take contacting the right person. The MRV and CCS numbers obviously exist, since it's an API rated multigrade. I'd guess that the Delvac Elite 222 would be the same as the XD-3 0w-30, since one simply replaced the other, rather than them being two distinct products, at least to the best of my memory. Do you recall if the XD-3 0w-30 was CJ-4?

By the way, you didn't say yes or no to the Delvac 1340.
wink.gif

Yep the proposed oil will need to have the OEM builder/approval from Porsche and not just stating that it meet the specifications "...........".

Far cry from meeting and having the builder approval IMO.

Hi,
Ndx - Yes, Delvac 1 5W-40 performed well in Porsche engines and those of many others.
I used it in the three that I owned with excellent results

If Delvac 1 0W-40 had been available I would probably have used that instead

And of course you are correct in that M1 5W-50 is on the A40 List

It is interesting to note that both the 356 and 911s' were FF with a HD lubricant at the time!

If you have Warranty concerns you should stay with M1 0W-40

Thx guys, its not about cost... I'm just bored with M1 0w40 to be honest I really like to try Fuchs but distributor still didn't get back to me.

Thx guys, its not about cost... I'm just bored with M1 0w40

Well, there are a number of other Porsche A40 approved oils that you can try if you're bored... Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 or Castrol 0w-40 come to mind. Although I think boredom is a silly reason to move away from a great lubricant such as M1 0w-40, but this is BITOG, so I understand the itch.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back