Pennzoil Ultra Platinum vs Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is there any crude oil in Platinum GTL?

Is it completely crude oil free ?

It's exclusively made from natural gas; therefore, it's entirely free of crude oil.

Apparently they first turn the natural gas into paraffin wax, and then they turn the paraffin wax into paraffinic lubricant base stocks and other chemicals. I'm not sure how much processing is involved in between but apparently NOACK varies according to how much they process the wax and products created from it. Chances are that, to get lower NOACK, they need to process it more, and this costs more; so, they cut the processing time according to the maximum NOACK spec of the application the paraffinic base stock is intended for.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I didn't say any of that. All I said was that their GTL base oil barely meets GM dexos1 (13% NOACK); so, it's the lowest grade of GTL base oil. You can make GTL base stocks with NOACK as little as 2% for the cold-cranking specs (CCS apparent viscosity) of the Pennzoil Pure Plus. They are obviously using the most economical base stocks that barely meets the needed specs (GM dexos1 and other premium US specs) rather than most premium base stocks.

I think this is the part that many people on here seem to not understand. It seems that most think that GTL is the base stock, where in fact GTL is a process that creates base stocks and other chemicals from natural gas. And just like any other process, it can be adjusted to meet any quality and cost goals, therefore the final product of the GTL process can vary greatly, depending on the manufacturer's targets.

Originally Posted By: Lex94
"how do you know just how many "billions" Sopus had spent on GTL?"

Here is an easily-googled recent article........

http://www.acadianabusiness.com/business...scension-parish

Again, how does the cost of the plant relate to the base stock quality? My question was about the cost to develop and refine the GTL process, not to build a plant that's going to make it. But even if we knew exactly how much Sopus spent on developing the GTL process, it is still irrelevant to the quality of the final product.

Using your logic we should all start judging cars solely based on how much money the manufacturer spent on building the plant that's going to make the car or just based on how much they spent on car's development. Afterall, we all know that auto manufacturers would never put out an inferior product because their reputation is on the line
wink.gif

You and Cooper are being ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: skip029
PUP isn't proven yet and I can wait on others to tell me if it's any good. I like numbers and the numbers are on the side of old PU atm.

That's why we have specifications and builder approvals.

Despite my criticisms, I just started reading some book, and apparently GTL beats even PAO (Group IV) in every single aspect, including wear protection as well as oil life.

I will post it shortly in a separate thread.

"My question was about the cost to develop and refine the GTL process, not to build a plant that's going to make it"

What does this even mean? Base oil is just a hydrocarbon.
GTL is just about pounding short HC into longer HC.

Last edited:
FROM PENNZOIL.COM

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:

1. Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:

1. Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 8% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 20% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

And we do some math…….

PUP keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than PP

20% better than PP at keeping pistons clean vs Castrol Edge w/ Syntec

18% better than PP at keeping pistons clean vs Valvoline SynPower

17% better than PP at keeping pistons clean vs Mobil 1

I'm am always very leary of advertising when I see claims using phrases like... "up to" or "as low as".

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Lex94
"how do you know just how many "billions" Sopus had spent on GTL?"

Here is an easily-googled recent article........

http://www.acadianabusiness.com/business...scension-parish

Again, how does the cost of the plant relate to the base stock quality? My question was about the cost to develop and refine the GTL process, not to build a plant that's going to make it. But even if we knew exactly how much Sopus spent on developing the GTL process, it is still irrelevant to the quality of the final product.

Using your logic we should all start judging cars solely based on how much money the manufacturer spent on building the plant that's going to make the car or just based on how much they spent on car's development. Afterall, we all know that auto manufacturers would never put out an inferior product because their reputation is on the line
wink.gif

You and Cooper are being ridiculous.

There is nothing ridiculous about assuming a company that makes premium products will continue to do so. No matter what logic you place on it....

I am no longer getting into a [censored] match about it. If you don't want to use the new GTL based products, don't. I will and will post my experiences with it.

Originally Posted By: wag123
FROM PENNZOIL.COM

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:

1. Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology delivers COMPLETE PROTECTION including:

1. Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 8% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 20% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2

And we do some math…….

I'm am always very leary of advertising when I see claims using phrases like... "up to" or "as low as".

I agree with those advertising words. But to say that PUP isn't better than P4 is wrong, Pennzoil states those numbers right there. It may be only 1% better, but its still better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
FROM PENNZOIL.COM

And we do some math…….

I agree with those advertising words. But to say that PUP isn't better than P4 is wrong, Pennzoil states those numbers right there. It may be only 1% better, but its still better.

Well sure, if your only "better" criterion is piston cleanliness. What's not said is how Ultra compares to Platinum and other competitors about other important things, like wear, valve train cleanliness, TBN retention, etc.

It may be better in those respects as well, but it's pretty reasonable to assume Pennzoil mentions piston cleanliness because this is where Ultra excels. Maybe it's worse than other oils in other areas.

Ultra's a fine oil, I'm sure. But the clear advantage the old formula Ultra had over Platinum seems largely gone. As others mention, GTL base stocks can be made in many different quality levels and Ultra seems to have been moved decisively toward the mediocre/cheaper to produce.

There is really no quality difference between the Ultra and vanilla versions of the Pennzoil Pure Plus Platinum now, as they contain the identical GTL base oil, as evidenced from the nearly identical NOACKs.

Would you may more $.$$ for the Ultra version that contains a little more detergent? I wouldn't, as a little more detergent could translate into more wear in addition to a little cleaner engine, as detergents fight the AW/EP/FM and other additives. It's a delicate balance between the detergents and AW/EP/FM additives.

There is really no quality difference between the Ultra and vanilla versions of the Pennzoil Pure Plus Platinum now, as they contain the identical GTL base oil, as evidenced from the nearly identical NOACKs.

Would you may more $.$$ for the Ultra version that contains a little more detergent? I wouldn't, as a little more detergent could translate into more wear in addition to a little cleaner engine, as detergents fight the AW/EP/FM and other additives. It's a delicate balance between the detergents and AW/EP/FM additives.

I actually agree here....

I am using the Platinum and not the Ultra Platinum. I think there isn't much of a difference between the two. They are the exact same price though, at Wally World. Ultra is also extremely hard to find. I think Pennzoil's marketing is lacking a little with what to do with the Ultra here too. I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up with Platinum in the future.....

I wouldn't, as a little more detergent could translate into more wear in addition to a little cleaner engine, as detergents fight the AW/EP/FM and other additives. It's a delicate balance between the detergents and AW/EP/FM additives.

Also stated on the Pennzoil site about PUP:

Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction. Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30

@Gokhan - I suspect the Ultra versions have more detergent and a big Moly overboost with the NOACK being just a bit higher.

Anyone seen the Ultra Platinum in 5w20 yet?

Pennzoil Platinum:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Benefits
Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction
(Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30)

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Benefits
Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides better protection from friction

So, these two statements combined would have to mean that Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum provide identical wear protection; otherwise, one of the statements would be false. How is this even possible, as they have different chemistry? One of them would have to be a little higher or lower than the other.

This shows why you should never believe marketing claims.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum:

Unsurpassed Wear Protection: No other leading motor oil provides Ultra better protection from friction.

There....Fixed it for them...Marketing twits...geeeez
smirk.gif

The below statement is from the Walmart site. What is the 55 average miles? Per 5k oil change? Over the life of the car? Just curious about this statement.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus technology is a first of its kind. Made from natural gas, it's designed for complete protection. It keeps pistons 25 percent cleaner than the leading synthetic, lets you drive an average of 55 extra miles based on mixed city/highway miles, protects horsepower, has unsurpassed wear protection and gives you excellent performance in extreme temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back