Cut Open - Toyota 90915 = yzzf2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No end caps ?

Nope ... every pleat is glued together at the ends. I stopped using Toyota filters because of their poor efficiency, but they are a well built filter.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Nope ... every pleat is glued together at the ends.

Interesting.

If the pleats weren't glued like that on the ends, then dirty oil could go right down the ends and not be filtered. But hey, guess it wouldn't really matter because it would be just like having 4 big tears in the media.
laugh.gif

If, could. But isn't.

If the pleats weren't glued like that on the ends, then dirty oil could go right down the ends and not be filtered. But hey, guess it wouldn't really matter because it would be just like having 4 big tears in the media.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If, could. But isn't.

laugh.gif

After seeing how bad the efficiency of the Toyota filters are (50% @ 20 microns), I'm thinking some of the reason for that bad efficiency might be some leaking at the ends of the pleats. When you have to glue over a 100 pleat ends, the chances of having a bad seal or two could be possible.

Originally Posted By: JC1
http://s115.photobucket.com/user/charkin...rt=3&page=1

Small filter from a 99 Toyota Camry. Solid and thick media.

These Japanese OEM Densos perform well in real world tests. I bought a case of 90915-10003 filters which use the same design and media for my wife's Toyota.

The aftermarket Denso 150-1001 is a completely different filter with a conventional design made in Thailand.

Although as has already been discussed, it's not clear that the efficiency rating (at least for these filters) has any bearing on actual engine longevity. And you don't know that the 50% rating is due to leaking glue pleats, in fact that isn't shown at all.

Mind you I don't use OEM Toyota filters either, but I have no real reason for not doing so.

After seeing how bad the efficiency of the Toyota filters are (50% @ 20 microns), I'm thinking some of the reason for that bad efficiency might be some leaking at the ends of the pleats. When you have to glue over a 100 pleat ends, the chances of having a bad seal or two could be possible.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Although as has already been discussed, it's not clear that the efficiency rating (at least for these filters) has any bearing on actual engine longevity. And you don't know that the 50% rating is due to leaking glue pleats, in fact that isn't shown at all.

Mind you I don't use OEM Toyota filters either, but I have no real reason for not doing so.

Whatever the reason is for the low filtering efficiency of 50% @ 20 microns, I chose not to use them anymore. My choice, I don't care if anyone else uses them, or if they even use an oil filter at all.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
These Japanese OEM Densos perform well in real world tests.

You have a link to these tests - and what's the definition of a "real world test"? I've never even seen a published efficiency rating for the factory "foamy" looking Toyota filters.

Me neither, but then Denso isn't exactly the most forthcoming about their oil filters.

All you can say about them is that they are different, and the metal can is built like a tank. I used to buy them on the grey market but stopped when I came to my senses.

I've never even seen a published efficiency rating for the factory "foamy" looking Toyota filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back