Health Benefits of Blackstrap Mollasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, sounds good. Where to buy and how much? Report back...
smile.gif

I get mine from whole foods.

When you taste it, there's oodles of flavor, and it doesn't give you that empty sugar spike you get from other sweetners.

It's kinda cool to see the stuff, it's so black and full of natural nutrients, that light cannot penetrate it. And the smell...oh the smell
laugh.gif

So when baking cookies, you can sub this out for 2 cups of sugar then? Probably a half cup of mollasses I'm guessing.

You say "nutrients"... it's mostly sugar, with the concentrated dirt and insect bits left behind when they purified the rest of the batch. Yes it has more "nutrients", but only because purified sugar ideally has only sucrose.

The sugar spike will be roughly the same.

(Yes, I use molasses when cooking. I'm just not misleading myself about what it is.)

Originally Posted By: djb
You say "nutrients"... it's mostly sugar, with the concentrated dirt and insect bits left behind when they purified the rest of the batch. Yes it has more "nutrients", but only because purified sugar ideally has only sucrose.

The sugar spike will be roughly the same.

(Yes, I use molasses when cooking. I'm just not misleading myself about what it is.)

+1

It could be less damaging than normal sugar, but it in no way will lead to health. Something like pure maple syrup, in moderation, is more of a "whole" food.

It is better for you than granulated sugar, but it is still sucrose. You are better off not using it. That said, molasses can be bought for about 4$ a pint at any super mkt. Crosby's is the brand I see. I use it in my bread and other baking instead of sugar, I use about 1/2 what the recipe calls for. Same with salt.Less is better. I use a little olive oil too. The PB and J handles sugar and salt. I buy it by the gallon from a restaurant supply store for 22$.and use it by the tablespoon. Molasses makes a good ginger cookie, Licorice is flavor, molasses and wheat flour.
laugh.gif

Did any of the responders, particularly the nay sayers, actually read the article? A few quotes from the article about the poopooed nutrient content of blackstrap molasses:

Quote:
Blackstrap molasses is an excellent source of the antioxidant manganese, providing about 27.5% the DV per tablespoon.

Quote:
Just one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses provides nearly 20% of the DV of iron.

Quote:
One tablespoon of blackstrap molasses provides about 14.5% the DV of potassium.

Quote:
Just one tablespoon will provide over 17% the DV of calcium.

Quote:
Blackstrap molasses is a good source of selenium, providing about 5% of the DV per tablespoon.

Quote:
One tablespoon of blackstrap molasses provides 7.5% the DV of vitamin B6.

Quote:
Blackstrap molasses can sweeten food without many of the negative side effects of regular sugar and artificial sweeteners. It is very low on the glycemic index and appears to be a healthier option for diabetic and pre-diabetic people, requiring very little insulin production and altering blood sugar levels far less than regular cane sugar.

So let's see...one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses gives you 27.5% DV of manganese, 20% DV of iron, 14.5% DV of potassium, 17% DV of calcium, 5% DV of selenium, 7.5% of B6, and is very low on the glycemic index. Yup, sounds like "mostly sugar, with the concentrated dirt and insect bits" to me!

True, it's not the best written health article and they were pretty repetitious in order to get 15 health benefits, but it has definitely piqued my interest.

Your body is better off eating as few sugars as possible. Molasses may be more healthy if you must eat homemade cookies. In the end all the sugars are calories.

With respect to health information, if its in the Mayo Clinic or Consumer Reports health newsletters (or even the NY Times) then I typically believe it. There is a lot of health info that goes along with trying to get you to buy their supplement or vitamins.

Why do you need any sort of "sweetener" at all?

I've cooked for years and manage to turn out quality food, yet I don't need to use sugars of any sort. The closest we come to "sweet" is our home made raspberry and strawberry jam, neither of which have any added sweeteners-just the natural flavor of the berries. I use 4 ingredients for the jam-the berries, water, lemon juice and arrow root powder.

If you really want to eat healthy (and it sounds like you do) then just get rid of any sort of refined sugars and eat foods with a simple list of ingredients.

While I agree that sweetners of any type are not beneficial to the body, I only recommended this as an alternative since it actually has a natural benefit to it, unlike many of the foods we eat these days that cause more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back