Oil Filters on ebay...funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle uses FRAM Orange Can PH3600. Did a search for PH3600 on ebay and got prices ranging from $7 to $30 for one oil filter (plus crazy shipping cost). The median price was around $15.

Now, I don't have an issue with an orange can, but $15 + plus $10 shipping is crazy in my mind. Who in their right mind would purchase a filter a these prices?

Last year I got 4 Mann oil filters shipped for $24.50 which is not bad I guess.

Last edited:
Hello, I often wonder about ridiculously overpriced items on EBAY or Amazon. Maybe the seller is simply trying to pick off sales to unknowing customers.

Perhaps the ridiculously expensive listings are placed there by the friends of people who purchase for companies.
In a multi-thausand dollar purchasing budget, a slew of overpriced items would go unnoticed.
If the "front office" was getting its cars etc. maintained for free, they would turn a blind eye.

All of this would constitute fraud. Kira

They must sell to really ignorant buyers.

Sometimes I look on eBay for car parts, especially for my BMW. Parts that are $2 at an online dealer and $3 at my local dealer can be seen selling for $25 on eBay. It is stunningly stupid.

I've even seen little plastic clips that are $0.88 at the dealer selling for $12.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Good question, do they sell these items? I doubt that they do.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Now, I don't have an issue with an orange can, but $15 + plus $10 shipping is crazy in my mind. Who in their right mind would purchase a filter a these prices?

Who? A lot of people... who don't live in the US.

You see, that seller sells to "many countries", some of which have poor availability or really crazy prices. Many are happy and grateful for listings like that, especially if the seller really understands foreign shipping declarations, taxes, customs and duty.

The listing shows up in the US because eBay makes it hard to do otherwise, and maybe they can catch a sucker or two domestic sale as well.

There's a Canadian online retailer that charges close to $20 per orange can, plus shipping. That retailer used to be somewhat attractive, at least for certain purchases, since shipping was built into the price. Of course, a whack of oil filters would get very pricey, while a single high end part might be worth it. Now, they charge shipping on top of the $20 per orange can.

Are you ordering orange cans from them?

Originally Posted By: Garak

There's a Canadian online retailer that charges close to $20 per orange can, plus shipping. That retailer used to be somewhat attractive, at least for certain purchases, since shipping was built into the price. Of course, a whack of oil filters would get very pricey, while a single high end part might be worth it. Now, they charge shipping on top of the $20 per orange can.

I'm not ordering anything from them.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Good question, do they sell these items? I doubt that they do.

Perhaps they are really not shipping filters inside them cans???

hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back