Cut Open - Purolator Classic L20195

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little bit of wide pleat spacing at the seam, but this has a glued seam and Purolators with the glued seam haven't been part of the reported tearing problem. Could be the media is a little different on the glued seam models.

Perhaps the glued seam has more flex and does not tear. The metal crimp may flex less and more force is on the ends.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Perhaps the glued seam has more flex and does not tear. The metal crimp may flex less and more force is on the ends.

Could also be a contributing factor. There is something about the filters with the metal crimped seam that makes them more susceptible to tearing.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I've never had a problem with Puolator Classic's. IMO....great flowing filter for the money. I still have quite a stash that I continue to use.

Better be careful expressing that opinion here, in the current anti Purolator hysteria you may be accused of working for Purolator.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

To the OP, looks like this Classic held up fine. Thanks for the pics.

^^^
lol.gif
... there's only one Purolator "tears are perfectly AOK" mouthpiece on the board.

Not sure who that reference is to, but quite certain it doesn't represent my opinion.

Otoh, there are 'some' that apparently have made it their mission to criticize Purolator at every turn now, even to the point of not accepting the recent explanation sent to some members stating they are aware if the issue and are addressing it.

Not surprising though is the fact that they are notably absent from recent Purolator threads like this one with positive anecdotes. Their silence is deafening.

No, not referencing you sayjac. It should be obvious by reading some of these threads who thinks gaping holes in the media are fine. Of course Purolator is being criticized. Doesn't matter what brand the filter is, if there are multiple reports of media tears in them they to would be criticized too. Very few people with any kind of engineering logic would think this is all normal and it's just fine to use filters with big holes in the media.

Purolator's letter was somewhat cryptic IMO. Yes, they have basically acknowledged (between the lines) that there's a problem and that they "have done some analysis and made improvements". Pretty general statements, but IMO it does say they know there's a problem and are trying to rectify it. I also get from their letter that people shouldn't use their old Purolators in their stash, but rather buy new filters to get the improvements made.

Putting this thread back on topic, as I was saying this Classic looks it did it's job and held up quite nicely.

I appreciate the OP posting it, even if it's not nearly sensational enough for those with an agenda now.
56.gif

L20195 or PL20195 have shown no tearing issues so far by the members here cutting them open for inspection. The last one I cut open looked about like the one in this thread. I'm currently running a PL20195 on the Tacoma and have 3 new ones in my filter stash.

I use these Puolator Classic in the same size, L20195. I still have quite a few in my stash along with a whole case of Fram HM oil filters. I picked up a case of the oversized Fram HM oil filters, 12 per case, from an on-line sale at Summit Racing, with free shipping. I plan to use the Fram as well as the remaining Purolator Classic filters as my go to oil filters.

I just double checked my stash....I picked up a case of 12 Fram HM 3600 over sized filter for $19.00 from Summit Racing a couple of years ago....so a little over $1 per filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yes, they have basically acknowledged (between the lines) that there's a problem ....

No they haven't.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Yes, they have basically acknowledged (between the lines) that there's a problem ....

No they haven't.

Read this post.

You think they did all that analysis and made improvements just out of the blue because it was slow in the design center? Or do you think there was a good reason behind it? ... like a rash of torn media reports by customers back to Purolator? I guess they just sent out a letter to those guys who reported media tears because they are now on their general mailing list.
lol.gif

Read this post.

I did before I responded.

Quote:
You think they did all that analysis and made improvements just out of the blue because it was slow in the design center?

The phrase "all that analysis" is not supported by the letter.

As to improvements, he states "We are always improving our products and process.", which I assume they are.

As I suggested earlier, Purolator is going to conclude fairly soon that responding to you and/or your friends is a fool's errand - heads you win, tails they lose.

You think they did all that analysis and made improvements just out of the blue because it was slow in the design center?

From the Purolator letter:
" I have reviewed that forum and have had inquiries from a few other members/readers. Over the last month I have been discussing and reviewing processes with the production, engineer and quality team. We have done some physical and theoretical analysis (to include another 45 minutes just this afternoon) and have implemented a few improvements."

He's talking about reading about the issue here and the feedback for customers who sent in torn filters, and then spending the last month discussing processes and doing analysis and implementing improvements from that effort. He's saying they incorporated some changes that may resolve the issue. Yeah, I know you can't see that because you can't grasp the whole logic of his communication ... that's OK, we understand.
smile.gif

As to improvements, he states "We are always improving our products and process.", which I assume they are.

As I suggested earlier, Purolator is going to conclude fairly soon that responding to you and/or your friends is a fool's errand - heads you win, tails they lose.

Sure, they "always improve their products", and it just so happens they really need to improve something to fix this product problem - and their letter back to the guys who sent in torn filter says that they are doing something.

It's obvious that Purolator finds the discussions and the reported feedback as valuable information to help them gather more information for their investigation of the cause and the fix.

Guess you missed this part that he wrote:
"After all, with some many of you loyal and intelligent customers providing input and insights back to us, we cannot help but improve."

He's saying they incorporated some changes that may resolve the issue.

"We have done some physical and theoretical analysis (to include another 45 minutes just this afternoon) and have implemented a few improvements."

As he said, they are always making improvements. Since he doesn't indicate there is an issue, nor that they have found an issue, saying that they made changes that might resolve the issue is not only not supported by the plain text, it's outright fabrication.

Since that appears to be your modus operandi, I'll just leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back