Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all..first post here!

1997 Honda Civic EX
1.6L VTEC
162,000 miles
Southern Maryland
Mostly highway driving and I push it pretty hard most of the time

I’m looking for an opinion on my current oil and OCI’s. I have always been told to run a full synthetic then switch to high mileage around 80K with OCI’s around 3K. After doing some research I see that’s not always the case. Bought the car used from the original owner but I’m pretty sure they never ran synthetic in it. Car runs great, just did the full tune-up on it but it does have an oil leak from what I believe is either the pan gasket or from what Honda tells me is the front and rear main seal (how they were able to tell from all the oil everywhere ill never know). It’s not a bad leak but definitely leaves spots in the driveway and I have to add half quart or so around 2,500 miles or so between oil changes.

I guess my question is, should I stick to a good high mileage and what is your opinion on the best of that or would synthetic be better?

Would either help the oil leak or is there something I can add to help or aide for now?

5W-30 is what it calls for but would anything work better in my situation?

Always used either the M1 filter or Purolator filters?

3K OCI’s too short or do you think I could stretch to 5K?

I always used Pennzoil Ultra in my truck before I sold it but I have been using Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 in the car with the Restore 4 cylinder additive. I got a good deal on some M1 High Mileage and M1 filter so that’s what I’m going to put in her in a few weeks. I live in Maryland where the summers are hit or miss as far as high temps go but it’s never too too bad.

Thank you all very much for the help…need to make her last a few more years before I invest in that NEW truck!

I would go with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 or Valvoline MaxLife, syn blend or full synthetic. Avoid Purolator oil filters, they like to rip holes in the media after 5K miles or so. Fram Tough Guards and Fram Ultras are good options. The toughguard can go 10K while the Ultra can go 15K. 5K is a good OCI, I would stick with that.

Are you driving in DC traffic often? If so then that would make me say to shorten your oci. If not then 5k SHOULD be no problem. Especially if you are topping off the oil once or twice per oci

X2 on the Mobil 1 High Mileage or Valvoline MaxLife. I have had good experience with the M1HM but have also heard great things about MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Mobil1 5W-30 HM or Pennzoil 5W-30 HM

Fram ULTRA

5k OCI

new PCV valve

+1

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Mobil1 5W-30 HM or Pennzoil 5W-30 HM

Fram ULTRA

5k OCI

new PCV valve

+1

I wouldnt use a Fram Ultra for a 5k OCI...go with a Tough guard..or any other cheaper filter unless you want to leave it in for 2-3 OCI's

Nothing I've used so far has helped the leak. What is your opinion on the Restore 4 cylinder additive, am I wasting my money or is that good stuff? Anything else you recommend?

No traffic much at all, maybe a few days out if the month. I guess it's been a while since I've done some research but I've always heard bad things about the Fram oil filters?

I have the same engine in my '99 Civic EX. If it's mostly highway miles without a lot of traffic, I'd think any dino conventional would do 5k. Try different types and see if any ones slow the leak better than others. If you want to push further than 5k, you could always do a UOA and see how the wear numbers look and base it from there.

In my D16Y8, no high mileage oils really worked on stopping leaks so I had the leaking seals replaced when the timing belt/water pump was replaced.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars more, pick up a premium oil filter like an Ultra and leave it on for 2-3 oil changes. The small amount of oil left in the filter won't hurt anything, just remember to leave the filter on until you're going to replace it. No need to remove, drain and reinstall. IMO, the Ultras are one of the best filters right now.

Originally Posted By: Truck25Engine
Nothing I've used so far has helped the leak. What is your opinion on the Restore 4 cylinder additive, am I wasting my money or is that good stuff? Anything else you recommend?

No traffic much at all, maybe a few days out if the month. I guess it's been a while since I've done some research but I've always heard bad things about the Fram oil filters?

I'm not going to recommend it to you, but will tell you, I've used restore recently and have had success with it stopping oil consumption (not from leaking) in my Ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back