Brake Job 2000 RWD Chevy Astro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I will be doing the brakes on a 2000 RWD Chevy astro. I was curious about a few things.

-What size is the nut that holds the rotor/bearing assembly on? I can't find this info online.. it doesn't appear to be on tight maybe a simple monkey wrench will work.

-What size is the Allen bolt that holds the caliper on, I have seen people say multiple things, 10mm, 9mm, and 3/8. Not sure which one exactly.. most people seem to say 3/8.

-I will be replacing both the inner and outer bearings with new ones since they are relitively cheap anyways, any tips on installing them, and what is a good bearing grease to use?

Thanks all!

GM is usually 10mm. 3/8 is close and many people use it but if they are really tight it can round it out.
The nut IIRC is 1-1/4 or 32mm. This is not tight and if you don't want to go through the whole business of checking end play and 12 ft lb torque an adjustable wrench will work.

Make sure you use a new rear seal, tighten just firmly (12 ft lb is the actual torque).
Now back it off slightly, about 1/4 of a nut flat but less than half a flat on the nut.

Originally Posted By: Trav
GM is usually 10mm. 3/8 is close and many people use it but if they are really tight it can round it out.
The nut IIRC is 1-1/4 or 32mm. This is not tight and if you don't want to go through the whole business of checking end play and 12 ft lb torque an adjustable wrench will work.

Make sure you use a new rear seal, tighten just firmly (12 ft lb is the actual torque).
Now back it off slightly, about 1/4 of a nut flat but less than half a flat on the nut.

Awesome info, thank you Trav!

One other question.. Does anyone know the lug nut size, I am hoping it is 13/16th or 19mm, because I currently do have those socket sizes lol.

Originally Posted By: Trav

By "rear seal", are you referring to the grease seal for the front wheel?

Bearing grease needs to say GC/LB and say it is approved for disc brakes. You can go to Carquest, and look at all the tubs of grease. Valvoline makes one conventional grease that says "GM, Chrysler, Japanese, and European vehicles" one conventional grease that says "Ford, Lincoln, Mercury" and the Durablend and Synpower are suitable for all vehicles. I use Durablend for convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back