Brand new ancient QS 10-20w30 in my '70 Datsun 510

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You, sir, win at this website.
01.gif

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
I wouldn't put too muck stock in said shelf lives, as it's mostly a ploy to move more product in a timelier fashion.

Thats how I feel about it. Untouched and stored correctly, motor oils will last quite a long time.

Also from api.org: SE Obsolete CAUTION:Not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1979.

Meh, I'm good with carbed 4 banger with no emmissions equipment.

Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
I'm just thinking those gotta be worth something, no? And worth lots more if they're unopened?

Or am I crazy?

Everytime I post a thread of me using these, people bring it up. I don't really care about making a few bucks and then buying new oil. Not worth my time and completely boring.

wouldn't you guys be more interested in somebody doing this with their car with no risk to you and that we might learn something rather than me putting Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Extreme Edge High Mileage in it and we learn nothing? Maybe i'm weird but this is more exciting to me.

If these engines did fine on these oils when they were new, then why wouldn't they now?
Certainly when these Datsuns were new 3K drains were the norm for most owners who cared, although I'd wager that even this ancient formulation oil would be good for longer than that in typical use.
As you note, anyone can use some current spec oil.
Using an oil meeting the original recommendations of these old cars and of the same vintage is a lot more interesting.

My viewpoint is maybe these oils were good on a stock datsun with its lower redline and less internal stress, but now that you worked it over it is no longer up to the task. If there is one thing we made progress on over 40 some years, it is lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I wouldn't put too muck stock in said shelf lives, as it's mostly a ploy to move more product in a timelier fashion.

^^I agree. I feel oil probably will last indefinitely,especially in sealed containers. Even an opened container that's stored properly would last indefinitely imo.

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
My viewpoint is maybe these oils were good on a stock datsun with its lower redline and less internal stress, but now that you worked it over it is no longer up to the task. If there is one thing we made progress on over 40 some years, it is lubrication.

Higher flow oil pump and its not going to live at redline. Should be fine!

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
When you use up this oil, will you buy forty years worth of modern oil?

Nope! I inherited this stash from my uncle. Ill never use it all up in my old cars. The new jeep gets modern oil

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I know that the US market 240Z had an inline six of 2.4 liters.
I've had both a 280Z 2+2 (a real truck to steer since it was much heavier than the 2 seater and lacked power steering like all Zs) and a 1600 Sports Roadster.
There was a JDM Fairlady Z of two liters.
I think it used a smaller displacement version of the six, but I'm not sure.

The 2L Fairlady (Datsun 2000 Roadster) OHC U20 engine was a very different engine from the 1600 Roadster pushrod, the OHC 1600 510 and the OHC 240 Z 6-cyl engines. It still had a vestigial in-block camshaft (called a jackshaft) that powered the fuel pump, oil pump and distributor. It was an interference engine (ask me how I know!) that was a screamer, especially in the twin Mikuni Solex carb version, but had reliability issues (mostly timing chain related). I had 3 of them back in the day, and they would pass everything on the freeway except a repair garage.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I know that the US market 240Z had an inline six of 2.4 liters.
I've had both a 280Z 2+2 (a real truck to steer since it was much heavier than the 2 seater and lacked power steering like all Zs) and a 1600 Sports Roadster.
There was a JDM Fairlady Z of two liters.
I think it used a smaller displacement version of the six, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I think there were 2 different 2.0L I6 engines in Japan.
One was a smaller version of the L24 engine
The other one was the S20, a special DOHC 24V engine with 3 carbs. Some called the Fairlady 432 because it had 4 valves, 3 carbs, and 2 cams. They are very rare, and extremely expensive. That engine was also used in the first Nissan to be called a GT-R.

Japan-spec cars would often have different engines than US-spec cars because engine displacement determines how heavily the car is taxed. The differences between the Z31 Fairlady and 1st gen 300ZX are even more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back