My Experiences with using TCW3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tron1
I plan on adding 1 ounce per 5 gal. of TCW3 in my stroker 393 V8 Ford. I am anticipating (and hoping) the TCW3 additive will improve performance as a UCL and maybe I will notice some improvement in starting and driveability. The car is hard to start when it has been sitting for several weeks. It has a carb, (auto choke removed) no catalyst/no smog equipment.

does that have an electric or mechanical fuel pump?

"does that have an electric or mechanical fuel pump?"

Outdoorsman,
It is a mechanical fuel pump... and it works! I dislike the 10% ethanol that is mandateded in CA. No way around it, but I would think the negative effects can be reduced (maybe substantially) by using TCW3 at 1 oz per 5 gallons. I will be trying the stuff this weekend. I have been reluctant using TCW3 but the overwhelming positive posts have reduced my fears. I will report back.

the fuel in your carb could be evaporating while sitting so you have to crank awhile until you get fuel into the engine. i dont know if tcw3 is doing anything yet in my truck but can not tell. i kave lots of it though

After using 1 oz per 5 gal. of TCW3 (Pennzoil Marine semi-syn) on my V8 carbed engine (no emssion control devices, except a PCV valve) I can say with confidence 1. Vehicle started easier 2. Idle fell into a normal lope much quicker 3. Thortle response was improved. I use 91 octane fuel which contains 10% ethanol (mandated in CA). When the weather warms up I will take a longer drive and check MPG. But as of now, I will continue to use TCW3 in each fill-up.

After several fillups @ 1 once per 5 gal. of TCW3 in my 393 Ford, the motor continues to run well, idle and throttle response significantly improved. I now use TCW3 in the Toyota as well butI do not notice any change in the way the car runs. FWIW after several long distance drives of over 400 hiway miles gas mileage averages over 26 mpg. The crankcase contains 300ml of Lubro Moly too.

Switched to TC-W3 years ago-->Autos average about 1-2 mpg better when poured into the fuel. Not all the time but most. Depends on the driving conditions.

Use 1oz per 5gal in all lawn equipment and Generator! Just mix in in all 4 5gal fuel jugs.

I use old gumout 5oz fuel system cleaner bottles for the TC-W3 in the autos. Never a Mess!

Pennzoil Marine Semi-Synthetic Normally buy 2 qts-->Lasts about 2 months.

im glad to see people are still chiming in on this!!!

last week i was power washing the driveway after a oil change disaster, and after 30 minutes of washing the motor got a funny ( surge) then i would let off the trigger. i quickly remembered the 2 gallon can i had in the garage never had tcw3 in it... i dumped about 1/8oz of oil in the quart sized tank (while it was running) and waited for it to differ... about 3 minutes of spraying i let off the trigger and it idled nicely and the stupid surge was gone.

i know everyone says adding a fuel additive to todays engines\fuel is silly (yippity yappity yoop ) but so far ive had extremely positive feedback when ive referred people to try it at my work.

for pete sake, my local area uhaul mechanic uses it in his service trucks!!!

" know everyone says adding a fuel additive to todays engines\fuel is silly (yippity yappity yoop )"

I couldnt have said it any better! Thanks for posting your experience.

ok guys edumacate me...I have a bottle of st universal 2cycle premix and a bottle of tcw3 outboard oil. I've been using the premix bottle for all of my two stroke ope. am I suppose to be using tcw3 as it's better? is it the same stuff? guess I don't even know why I bought it, other than after reading this thread I'm going to give it a try at 1oz/5gal ratio. please help...

How did your tcw3 do in your opinon? If I do not use in my 2005 Buick la saber from time to time, my fuel pump starts making a loud humming sound, so it does clear that noisy pump sound.

Last edited:
At Wal-Mart I just bought a couple clear plastic squeeze bottles (like restaurant catsup bottles) measured a ounce at a time and marked the clear bottle with a sharpie..keep the TCW-3 bottle in the rear door storage by the gas tank along with some paper towels.

Ran the 640/1 in my Toyota for the first time today 241mi. 26mpg was windy from the side so didn't top the 27mpg (non mix) on the same trip Friday.

a few months ago i found 5 cans of sta-bill at $3.50 each. i bought all 5. but didnt need the product, just the bottle. but my friend needed the product. we found a big bottle and he got the product and i got my plastic bottles. i have been putting a pint of tcw-3 in a gal of MMO in a 1 gal gas can.. i use a sta-bill bottle to hold my MMO that i put 2 oz to 10 gal of gas in the tank on fill up. and a Ampco ST400 top cyl luber 1 Qt. that runs 1 QT in 800-900 miles, in to the intake manifold. cause the upper lub in the gasoline misses the valve stems. and the upper lube in the intake manifold misses the fuel injector. what think?

Wow Morris, I think you have that engine covered pretty well! Extra lubrication everywhere, if that doesn't do the trick I don't know what will.

Just a reminder that TCW3 is not so forgiving of over dose as is MMO . I like and use both but am using TCW3 more towards the 960:1 ratio than the recommended starting point of 640:1 . For reference MMO is used at 320:1 ratio and while more forgiving than TCW3 - I error more towards the 410:1 ratio on MMO ... For a nifty gas to / oil ratio calculator look here -> http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

What are the performance drawbacks/symptoms of a TCW-3 overdose (even a minor one)??
(BESIDES the obvious wet, oily, fouled plugs IF one goes bonkers with the stuff.)
Misfires? Lean codes? 'Stumbles'? Other various CELS/SES lights?

Only drawback I've observed with overdosing of TCW-3 is slightly lower MPG and a tad less power - no codes and everything returns to normal after a few days.

With minor OD of TCW3 your gas mileage will drop a couple of MPG's and your engine acceleration will be a bit more sluggish .

Originally Posted By: Mephy
Exactly is common use a mix of 500:1 I found it too much, my car goes good between 650:1 and 750:1

For us metric folks 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas is almost exactly 650:1. I've been using it for 2+ years in the Forester at 650-700:1. My P0420 Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold went away and has not returned since dosing the gas with TCW3.

An easy way for metric folks to calculate is to fill up with gas. Multiply the liters pumped by 1000, then divide by 650. That tells you exactly how much TCW3 (in ML) to add.

I use a large syringe that maxes out at 80ML and added a plastic tubing to the end that allows me to extract directly from the WM TCW3 bottle (that is always in my car) and easily pour the exact amount into the gas tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back