Used Honda Odyssey problem years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are in the market for a used Honda Odyssey. Looking to spend $7500 to $15,000.

I know the 2003-2004 transmissions were grenades waiting to happen. Also, the 3.5 V6 calls for a timing belt replacement at 105K miles or 84 months, so will have to factor that into the price negotiations if the car is overdue or close to needing a timing belt service.

Any other problem areas I need to watch out for? Did they fix the transmission by the 2005 model year?

Hopefully for 15 grand you can get an 07 or later with the 4 shaft transmission. Or learn to live with hard plastics and get a 08+ Sienna with the 3.5 (and save 1000 on a timing belt at some point in the future).

But yes the 05/06 have an updated version of the 3 shaft that was the problem transmission for Honda and they seem to be average (which is better than the earlier model years).

Motor mounts are a common complaint with these vans. This seems to be particularly a problem with the EX-L and Touring models with the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). Mounts are extra-pricey on these models, too.

Many of the people with VCM engines are trying to figure out how to disable it. VCM engines seem more prone to sludging, too. But, they get good fuel economy...

Another feature that would be a turn-off for me is the PAX run-flat tires on the Touring model. The tires are expensive and don't last long.

Timing belts are unacceptable. Especially in something as tightly packed as a minivan.

For a minivan - can't go wrong with a Sienna or newer Grand Caravan.

2007+ models will be the lowest risk. Don't fret about the timing belt; I replaced the belt in our MDX last year with common hand tools, for a total of about $350 in parts. I used to be very much against them; after experiencing how easy and enjoyable it actually was to do, it's a total non-issue to me now. Other makes/models may be more difficult.

Yep, like said above, the sweet spot is the 2007-2010 models without VCM or PAX tires. 2007+ has the 4-shaft 5spd AT, that was designed for the 4x4 Ridgeline and Pilot too.

Very nice vans. We owned a 2008 Odyssey LX for 5yrs. The only problems I had were power steering binding/whining (never resolved 100%), a broken rear shock absorber, and what seemed like constant TPMS issues. Eventually ignored the light.

They're well thought out IMO and the stowable 3rd row seat blows anything Dodge/Chrysler out of the water.

The real problem years were '99-'03, plus the first part of '04. Honda introduced the revised 3-shaft design in the Odyssey midway through the '04 model year, and the much-improved 4-shaft design for the '07 model year.

'99-'01 models have a 4-speed; '02+ have a 5-speed.

Last edited:
I peeeked at consumer reports. They show poor transmission reliability back in 2004 only but report no earlier.

Overall it shows it to be a average in used car reliability which seems to be friends experience. Nothing awful but they have tidbits here and there.

It seems that Toyota Sienna is decent and the Chrysler stuff slightly below average. Chrysler though you can potentially offset that with lower miles or in purchase price etc if you don't mind the vehicle.

Personally Toyota would be my choice in FWD.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Chrysler though you can potentially offset that with lower miles or in purchase price etc if you don't mind the vehicle.

I'm a believer in the efficient market hypothesis, which says that you can't consistently achieve returns greater than average. Applied to this situation, if the lower-priced vehicle was demonstrably and consistently better, then it wouldn't cost less than everything else. I believe the market finds its own equal, and despite the sales and advertising efforts of the manufacturers, prices ultimately set themselves on merit.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Chrysler though you can potentially offset that with lower miles or in purchase price etc if you don't mind the vehicle.

I'm a believer in the efficient market hypothesis, which says that you can't consistently achieve returns greater than average. Applied to this situation, if the lower-priced vehicle was demonstrably and consistently better, then it wouldn't cost less than everything else. I believe the market finds its own equal, and despite the sales and advertising efforts of the manufacturers, prices ultimately set themselves on merit.

Don't forget about supply and demand. They made a lot of Chrysler/Dodge vans, and there are a lot on the used market. US manufacturers tend to overproduce for some reason. IMO they are well worth considering.

May be worth it to skip the much overrated Odyssey and look at a new Kia Sedona. Yes it's over budget but it's brand new, has a long warranty and most likely will not be a money pit like an Odyssey.

Ford Windstar with the V6 vulcan engine and AX4N tranny. Can't go wrong with that
smile.gif
lol jk.

Consider an SUV or crossover?

we had an '01 when we got married with over 100k on it. trans was not maintained and it ran fine. it had the factory recall on it. The engine was a hoot and this thing was fun to drive.

The power doors were AWFUL. and they do NOT latch if they fail. very very bad design. and odysseys in that generation are highly prone to power door failure--- google it. she had them repaired several times to the tune of $1100 each and I was out there cleaning contacts weekly.

the lowly town and country doors work just fine if the power stuff [censored] out. they work manually all day long. and they stay closed if the electrics fail and you use them manually.

The odyssey saved her life in a traffic accident. I watched the family get T-boned by a durango running a red light, never even applied the brakes. everyone walked out with only scratches. Side was crushed in, wrinkles in floor and ceiling. Get this--- still held its alignment.... I drove it to work for a week until insurance got straightened out (seatbelt sewn into fixed position, door crushed in, big sign on the side that said "stop for red lights!", leaked wind noise like a sieve, rain water everywhere, etc.). Van drove like it was new, the frame never flinched.

So, mixed bag. But respectable vehicle. IDK if I'd worry about the transmission so much. some go well past 200k. It's the doors that drove us batty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
we had an '01 when we got married with over 100k on it. trans was not maintained and it ran fine. it had the factory recall on it. The engine was a hoot and this thing was fun to drive.

The power doors were AWFUL. and they do NOT latch if they fail. very very bad design. and odysseys in that generation are highly prone to power door failure--- google it. she had them repaired several times to the tune of $1100 each and I was out there cleaning contacts weekly.

the lowly town and country doors work just fine if the power stuff [censored] out. they work manually all day long. and they stay closed if the electrics fail and you use them manually.

The odyssey saved her life in a traffic accident. I watched the family get T-boned by a durango running a red light, never even applied the brakes. everyone walked out with only scratches. Side was crushed in, wrinkles in floor and ceiling. Get this--- still held its alignment.... I drove it to work for a week until insurance got straightened out (seatbelt sewn into fixed position, door crushed in, big sign on the side that said "stop for red lights!", leaked wind noise like a sieve, rain water everywhere, etc.). Van drove like it was new, the frame never flinched.

So, mixed bag. But respectable vehicle. IDK if I'd worry about the transmission so much. some go well past 200k. It's the doors that drove us batty.

Our '01 was the exact opposite. We got rid of it two months ago when the trans failed for the fourth time at 245k. After the second failure, we did a drain & fill every oil change, then switched to an annual cooler line exchange after the third failure. The power doors didn't give us much problem.

We had a couple of minor fender benders, but never anything serious. That van felt as solid as anything I've ever driven. If it weren't for the balky transmission, we'd probably have taken that thing to half a million miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back