concoction to free up rusty transmission gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 04' Polaris 330 Trailboss. The previous owner started taking it part for some reason. I bought it as a basket case. I got it all together and running good. The transmission was missing the drain plug,dipstick and a top piece. It was stored outside. So I am sure the transmission got a lot of rain and water and dirt and was pretty stiff in there. I can feel it being tight. I am going to make a concoction of fluid to loosen it up, any ideas? I am thinking ATF type F and Marvel MO. 50\50 mix. Any ideas to free the bearings, gears a d silent chain up from years of neglect.

I've had luck in soaking rusty, bound up parts in diesel fuel.

At $4 a gallon, it's a cheap fluid to soak in.

The company that makes PB Blaster makes a product to spray into the upper cylinder through the spark plug hole, supposed to free sticky rings on lawn mowers and such, seems like it's called Small Engine Tune-Up, or something like that. Anyway, it may work to free the gears up.

Or it might be a good idea to fill it with diesel, run it a bit, drain and repeat a few times, then fill with ATF. Probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Or just run it and change the gear oil every couple hours until it clears up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back