84 mpg. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason Three Wheelers had some degree of popularity in the U.K was because of the licensing laws.
Vehicles with less than 4 wheels were considered a motor cycle and were charged a much lower license fee. Teenagers could also obtain a M/C license a year or so earlier than they could a Car license.
However 3 wheelers were not generally popular with teenagers.

It's kind of silly, but no more silly than the Laws here, where you are only ALLOWED to buy cars that meet safety standards (which adds a great deal of weight and cost) Whereas a Three Wheeler is considered a M/C and such things do not apply at all
33.gif

How about a 3 wheel truck?
http://motorsfolia.com/imgs/scammell/scammell-scarab/scammell-scarab-08.jpg

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I hate to hit a Tahoe in that thing.

It might be fun hitting that thing with a Tahoe though.

Fun?

Kinda cool, $6,800 and 84mpg. Like any other vehicle, would not want to get into an accident. For a pure commuter it might be nice.

Too much of a compromise though. Twice a week I pick up the kids on the way home. I suppose if I were to wreck my Jetta this might be good enough though in my fleet, but I'd have to trade vehicles with wife, whoever has the kids drives the larger car.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I hate to hit a Tahoe in that thing.

It might be fun hitting that thing with a Tahoe though.

Fun?

I was being sarcastic. Twisting the words around. No it would not be fun. It would destroy that little motorized vehicle with extreme prejudice and definately hurt someone. But if it was for a crash test with a dummy, yesi would like to watch that.

I was expecting the comments along the line of

"I hate to be in one of those if it was hit by a ....."

I seldom hear it said about motorcycles though?

There is lots I like about this car/Trike.

I like the idea of a Tadpole Trike in terms of aerodynamics.

I like the way they have used off the shelf parts as much as possible.

I like the idea it's made in North America.

But I feel the American market is FAR to conservative a place to launch a vehicle like this.

Maybe they could get some out on a rental fleet (in selected areas) to gain some acceptance?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Why not just get a motorcycle? If your going to be on a death trap at least have fun doing it!

Yeah but you either get bugs in your teeth or your hair gets messed up.

Or worse, you might see the Tahoe before it hits you, what with the better visibility.

I don't care for such micro vehicles. I suspect other Americans won't either.

In particular, I despise being forced into "micro" vehicles via regulation or necessity.

I much prefer a larger vehicle with the high technology necessary to achieve excellent efficiency. Cars such as the Tesla Model S achieve 89MPGe (equiv) and the Chevy Volt over 90MPGe. The Nissan Leaf is 115MPGe.

I like the idea of the car, using simple technology to get good mileage. I think its niche will be in rural areas where distances and incomes make plug-in cars impractical.
Probably at some point, more people will have to decide if they still want to have the freedom of living where they need a personal vehicle, but accept that its not going to be $30k and 4000lbs of expensive tech struggling to get 30 mpg...

Personally, I like the idea of this little three wheeled adventure.

Price point is good enough that it could scavenge sales from people looking for bare bones Nissan Versa's and Hyundai Accents, that just use them to commute to and from work everyday.

This will also appeal to people who use motorcycles on their commute in order to get better fuel economy than their cars, but want something to ride during foul weather.

Honestly, for $6800, plus taxes and whatnot, this isn't too much of a risk to at least try one out for a test drive, and see what we've got on our hands. Should be too much effort in order to improve the stock suspension into something that will make mountain roads more entertaining.

Depending on the parts they use for the drivetrain, that's where I see the real weakness of this vehicle laying in wait. If the engine and transmission aren't durable enough to deal with stupid people, and the stupid things that they do, then they will get a bad reputation right out of the gates, and that will be the end of them.

Personally, I would drive one, since I am a motorcyclist, and unlike most of the people who responded to this thread, I'm not paralyzed with an overpowering, irrational fear of maybe, potentially, someday, somehow, I might get into an accident in it, with a train.

My commute is going to get longer when my house is finished, so I might take a look at one of these when they hit the market. Won't hurt me at all to look at one.

BC.

Errrrr....Ill stick with my Prius. It might not be a crowd pleaser here, but it works for me and seats 5 comfortably with ample power, great mpg's and its actually very roomy.

I realize the Elio's price is cheap but the price is commensurate with what you get. And thats not much.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And I'd own 3 Elio's before I'd ever own a Prius.

To each his own.

Me too! I'd much rather be seen in something as whacky as that, than a Prius.

Every time I see a Prius I picture a rainbow trail following behind it and bubbles coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back