Golf Ball Physics@70,000 frames per second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Some days your the Steel Plate, and other days your the Ball.

lol.gif

I thought that "splat" was it in the early frames.

Reminds me of the joke..."what's the last thing that goes through a bee's mind when it hit's your windscreen ?"

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I don't believe it, it should shatter.

that's one of the fun things about BITOG at the present time...physics isn't always about what something intuitively should do.

This reminds me of what happened when using high speed video to view bullet-proof glass when it stopped a bullet. The back layer, which is a plastic, stretched several inches and then retracted back to almost its former position. It was amazing that it stretched that far without rupturing. With faster bullets, they ripped through.

Spent the past weekend in NJ and apparently they are teaching this to my nephew in 4th grade at Moorestown Friends School. He said, "Uncle can I show you the (Sir Isaac Newton's) Third Law of Motion?" as he gets a running start and checks me. Hahaha

That's quite interesting. I never would have thought there was that much deformation.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I don't believe it, it should shatter.

Titlest has a video on their site that shows the amount of deformation that happens to a ball when it's struck by a driver at much slower speeds. After seeing the Titlest video this amount of deformation at 150 mph into steel is quite believable.

I've cut an old (30 years?) golf ball in half with an iron before, so once they harden up a bit, they do fail.
I'd like to see a clip of what the ball looks like miss-hit, topping with a driver for example...

Totally possible...
from golf digest

First, some perspective. A swing speed of 141 mph would be more than 28 miles per hour faster than the current PGA Tour swing speed average (112.64), as measured by the TrackMan launch monitor at PGA Tour events. It would be 16 mph faster than the leader in swing speed average, J.B. Holmes (125.12). It would be 14 mph faster than the fastest speed recorded by Bubba Watson this year (127.02). It also would be the equivalent of the average swing speed recorded by the eight finalists in the 2009 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championships (141), but two miles per hour slower than the speed of the finalists recorded at the 2010 RE/MAX WLDC (143).

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop...wing-speed.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back