The automatic transmission isn't the option.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The real reason for both automated gearboxes (aka dual clutch, etc.) and slushboxes is they can easily be integrated into the entire suite of safety and economy features. Modern cars with a yaw system, traction control, turn-in braking, abs, collision avoidance, etc. simply must have control over the transmission as well.

PS, they usually do better in gas mileage too if driven normally. A real hyper miler can do better with a stick in many cases...

...it's not just hypermiling (cruising in "N" and other extreme behaviors)...

Many if not most modern MTs have DFCO programming...MT owners can take advantage of that if they know what that is and how to use it...DFCO works in ATs in "manual" mode, (other than "D") but how many know that....?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrustles
With an auto, the engine can bog down and eagerly upshift to achieve listed fuel economy figures, unlike the much less controlled shift points and MPG of a human deciding when to shift. Plus, we're lazy and untalented lol
Only in North America.

Unless you have a manual selection mode of something like the 6 speed auto in my Silverado. I can decide when to shift and when to stay in a gear. Nice.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The real reason for both automated gearboxes (aka dual clutch, etc.) and slushboxes is they can easily be integrated into the entire suite of safety and economy features. Modern cars with a yaw system, traction control, turn-in braking, abs, collision avoidance, etc. simply must have control over the transmission as well.

PS, they usually do better in gas mileage too if driven normally. A real hyper miler can do better with a stick in many cases...

I don't think any of the safety systems won't work with a manual though. A 2011 Ford Fusion SE had the full raft of electronic nannies with a manual. All any of the systems do anyways is brake a wheel of 4 and/or cut some power. I doubt any actually down or up shift in response to a handling situation that requires intervention?
I have ABS and TC in the Focus and even with a real throttle cable, they work just fine. TC just tickles the correct front brake at first, then cuts engine power if needed.
I've never tried to mat the gas while engaging ABS, but I assume the engine would just ignore me.

Manuals are going the way of the crank start, technology marches on.

Even in larger trucks manuals are more or less only bought by cheap operators. All the utilities run AT trucks now, all my site work guys dumped their stick trucks years ago.

Exotic cars dumped manuals because they are slower.

And it gets even better than that! Over 70% of Volvo Class 8 semi trucks that have Volvo engines, are spec'd with the Volvo automated i-shift 12 speed trans. Allison just broadened its automatic line up and now offers a 10 speed full automatic for class 8 semi truck use. Eaton has it's automated ultra shift in 10. 13, and 18 speed variants. Detroit Diesel even has gotten into the transmission game and offers a automated trans for Class 8 semi truck use.

Over 50% of all commercial trucks are being ordered now with some variant of automated or automatic transmission, even owner operators like me are going that way. I am already taking a strong look at the Allison TC10 automatic for any future class 8 truck purchase.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Manuals are going the way of the crank start, technology marches on.

Even in larger trucks manuals are more or less only bought by cheap operators. All the utilities run AT trucks now, all my site work guys dumped their stick trucks years ago.

Exotic cars dumped manuals because they are slower.

Except that the only markets were what you say is true is
the US, and maybe Canada, everywhere else in the world the manual reins supreme and will continue to do so for many decades to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back