2014 Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girlfriend had a Civic Si leased through work. She recently got a better job, only downside with the job change is no more Civic Si. After driving that thing for a year or so she wanted to stay with something that was fun and relatively sporty. She has always been interested in cars and can drive stick like no one else Ive ever met.

We looked around at a lot of options. We each have daughters of our own (4 and 5), so that was something to take into account for her ride. In the end she enjoyed driving the Focus ST the most. On top of that she got a really killer deal, and this is the top trim model with the leather. Every option minus the sunroof.

Flickr is giving me problems with sharing photos on this site, so here is a link to the album of some pics I took the other day. I think one of the most impressive features is how nice these pictures came out coming from my cellphone!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105266772@N02/sets/72157644179373236/

The car is an absolute blast to drive. Steering is tight and very specific to any movement you make in the wheel. Suspension is pretty hard, and the handling is better than I would ever expect from a Focus.

I find it to be a really good looking car too. The ST changes really makes this car look pretty unique. Great wheels too. The shifter and clutch are fantastic. The clutch has a good amount of weight, but not too heavy for a daily driver. The shifter has nice throws that have that clicky confirmation feel when you hit the next gear. Nothing sloppy about this thing. Pretty sure the trans is by Getrag and built in Germany.

Never been much of a red car person, but this thing looks great. Ford's Race Red pops like no other in person. In direct sun it's almost more of a red orange.

The 2.0 Ecoboost is a lot of fun. This car can be driven with ease as a daily driver, but as soon as you get into it and the turbo goes, the thing is just a monster. It really surprising. Maybe I've gone soft but I could never imagine needing more power than this with a daily driver.

23/33 is the EPA rating. Seems realistic but if you are getting into boost all the time I cant imagine you getting much over 20MPG.

Definitely a different kind of animal than I was expecting.

EDIT: The biggest thing people notice (including myself) is how solid this car feels. It is a little on the chubby side (3000lbs I believe?), but everything feels so... European? Interior, doors, how everything shuts and opens up. It feels very well made. I guess it's nice to see Ford bring the global version over here finally.

Last edited:
That thing looks hot! Nicely appointed interior, too! Love the seats. And a matching dress to boot.
smile.gif

Any torque steer issues at all?

And yeah, your phone takes awesome pictures!

BTW, you were also talking about getting a Mustang. Is that still in the works?

Ford listened and brought the European Focus over to the US. They are really nice cars for what they are!

I am seeing quite a few Focus STs around here.

Hey man, thanks for the reply!

The Mustang was an idea at the same time, ended up with this instead. Ford was a big player in the decision since a corporate discount was involved. We drove the Mustang GT side by side with Focus ST and honestly, for a driving around town fun car, the ST was more enjoyable.

Torque steer is definitely there! lol. The thing puts out 252hp/270tq. That's a lot for a FWD car of any sort IMO. I know Ford has their system to counteract torque steer, but you can't deny it being there. I've heard it does much much better than something like a Mazdaspeed3, but I have never driven one to compare. But we are not doing any racing from a stop in this thing, so it's rare that serious torque steer comes into play. If you get on it in 2nd gear you still have to battle it a bit, but it's almost fun lol.

The way the engineers apply the braking to make the car drift out more like a rwd is impressive too. It really doesn't feel much like a fwd car with handling, only with wheel spin up front, haha.

The interior is nice, I agree. It's amazing how much a few things can do to the Focus interior. A base Focus interior is way too busy for me. Buttons galore.

It's a very well-rounded car. The chassis, brakes, steering, and engine all match up nicely. It doesn't feel like a regular Focus with more power (which can be fun, but leads to problems).

I had a chance to autocross one and it was surprisingly capable and I could even get the rear end to rotate. And yes, I think it handled better than the Mazdaspeed3.

WHOA, that thing looks cool!!!

Those seats are about the nicest looking ones I've ever seen.

- How do you like the positioning of the gauges in the dash?

- How is the glance-over to the blind spot as it looks busy back there?

The seats are very nice indeed! If you go down one trim you still get the Recaros, but they are part cloth, part leather... the cloth is a bright color too... a little too ricey looking for me.

Some people complain about the gauges on the dash to look cheap and feel tacked-on. I actually see myself using them often. It's nice to have a oil temp, boost, and oil pressure gauge in a new car these days. Especially for a turbo, nice to know your oil is warmed up pretty good before getting on it.

Visibility is actually above average in my opinion. My Mazda has worst rear visibility. The civic she has before was great, but the ST hasn't been bad at all.

I'll ask her if she's interested, but I doubt she notices or cares too much. Short shifters are always nice though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
It's nice to have a oil temp,

What's the normal oil temp in typical driving? And how high does it get when you drive aggressively?

well it's not a digital read out, showing between 120F at low and then rises to 300F at high. Normal driving after warmed up seems to be a tad bit above the middle, but when you get aggressive I would say a little lower than the 3/4ths's mark.

A shame it's not a digital read out, but I would say if accurate around 210-220ish normal, 240-250ish when I am driving aggressive. None of my aggressive driving has been for long periods of time though. I did read how after tracking laps over and over, Motortrend had the car go into limp mode cause the oil temp got too high.

Last edited:
Very nice. I sat in one at an auto show and really thought it was a nice little car. I haven't had the chance to drive one but everything I have read and heard about them has been positive.

Originally Posted By: jigen
A shame it's not a digital read out,

Is there no way to bring this info up through the on-board computer in the center dash? The Mustang I rented last year had that option.

When did Ford give up on 20 weight for ecoboost? I see its speced for 30 now. I thought a 20 would do since the turbo is cooled better.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
When did Ford give up on 20 weight for ecoboost? I see its speced for 30 now. I thought a 20 would do since the turbo is cooled better.

Fuel dilution, I believe. First year of this engine and the 3.5L ecoboast had 5w-20.

My parents have a 2013 Focuscape with this engine. It goes.

I'd totally buy one.

When I was selling Fords for a while, I had a customer who JUST bought a GTI come into the dealership and wanted to compare it to the ST.

He was amazed at it's overall fit and finish and saddened that he spent so much more for the GTI.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

The Spanish-built 2.0 EcoBoost specs 5w/30. The other EcoBoost engines specify 5w/20. This has been the case since they were introduced.

The Focus ST is rather portly for its size, but man, it really feels like it's nailed together well, doesn't it? I was duly impressed with the one I drove at the Ford EcoBoost Challenge last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back