Hawaiian Airlines Flight 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to understand how if he was passed out from the cold and low o2 at altitude , could he have been awake enough and not fallen out as the landing gear was deployed?

They're saying he woke up an hour before the flight landed. What I'm amazed by is how he managed to avoid getting crushed by the retracting landing gear.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm trying to understand how if he was passed out from the cold and low o2 at altitude , could he have been awake enough and not fallen out as the landing gear was deployed?

Not sure, but they've said the people who survive basically go into a stasis-like mode where the body slows way down. It's very bizarre.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I read about this and I think "There may still be some security issues with passenger aircraft..."

EXACTLY.

Just think how many planes can be taken down all over the world if this was done!!!

shocked2.gif

Hello, To demarpaint: While I agree with you in that, "you can't fix stupid", he could very well be thinking, "Man, I'll never do that again!".

To penetrate security, to be smart enough to climb (into a wheel well) and then to be absent-of-thought enough to not know about oxygen deprivation.....doesn't add up.

Hmmm......might just be stupid Kira

If it all went down as alleged, ie., stowed away inside wheel well for the entire trip, this is one VERY lucky young man just to be alive. It's said though that some brain damage may show up over time from the lack of oxygen. Then again, I'm thinking some may argue some brain damage may have been present beforehand.
wink.gif

He's Somalian....at least he's not a 'pirate'...

Somalia has had famine conditions for as long as we can remember and yet the population continues to grow because of western aid. It's an evolutionary disaster.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They're saying he woke up an hour before the flight landed. What I'm amazed by is how he managed to avoid getting crushed by the retracting landing gear.

The wheel wheels of a 767 are quite roomy as it is a good sized airplane. There's a lot of other equipment in there such as hydraulic pumps and lines. It might be possible to get well out of the way of the landing gear, but trust me, it's not a pleasant environment. Anybody who's come in contact with Skydrol hydraulic fluid knows what I mean.

It was my understanding that he was still unconscious during landing, so he's very lucky he wasn't thrown out onto the runway upon landing.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I read about this and I think "There may still be some security issues with passenger aircraft..."

This is the biggest part of the story to me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Things just don't add up in this story. Call me a skeptic.

Count me as one also.

There has to be more to this story that we are not being told.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Things just don't add up in this story. Call me a skeptic.

Count me as one also.

There has to be more to this story that we are not being told.

+1

Wheel well has some room, and hot tires/brakes might provide enough heat to keep it above the -40 degree free stream temperature...but there's no changing the fact that it is unpressurized.

To survive 5 hours at an altitude that would, through oxygen deprivation, render most people unconscious in seconds, and kill most people in a few minutes just doesn't seem plausible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

I caught it on the morning news while I was getting ready to head out. They said he was in something like a state of "hybernation". Lol what's that all about? -50F and he survived all those hours, it had me scratching my head too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back