What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: domer10

You are doing the right thing. Reduce friction, reduce wear.....and the pro's are endless.

Would it be okay to use both ceratec and MoS2 on the same oil change or no?

If only there was a way you could show it does any of those things.

Originally Posted By: domer10
You are doing the right thing. Reduce friction, reduce wear.....and the pro's are endless.

Originally Posted By: Jteran5

Liqui Moly says that Cera Tec is their best friction modifier and recommends you use Cera Tec (at a 5% - 6% dose) without the MoS2 Lubro Moly.

The MoS2 should ideally be used during each oil change after the initial application of Cera Tec, which has long-term binding properties. Using Lubro Moly (MoS2) separately from Cera Tec ensures that both products won't be competing with each other and a higher quality layer of Cera Tec will bind more effectively to metal surfaces.

No harm will be done should MoS2 and Cera Tec be combined, but they will both be competing with each other unnecessarily.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

Liqui Moly says that Cera Tec is their best friction modifier and recommends you use Cera Tec (at a 5% - 6% dose) without the MoS2 Lubro Moly.

The MoS2 should ideally be used during each oil change after the initial application of Cera Tec, which has long-term binding properties. Using Lubro Moly (MoS2) separately from Cera Tec ensures that both products won't be competing with each other and a higher quality layer of Cera Tec will bind more effectively to metal surfaces.

No harm will be done should MoS2 and Cera Tec be combined, but they will both be competing with each other unnecessarily.

I got conflicting info from them with regard to using both products. Basically one person from their company said if you use Ceratec stick with Ceratec, don't change over to MoS2, and vice versa. Another person said it was fine.

As you mentioned both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

I agree!

I just summarized the e-mail I received from a Liqui Moly Technician in German and he did not recommend using both products at the same time.

Both people said Ceratec was the better of the two products and they shouldn't be in the sump at the same time. I would feel better if both people were on the same page.

I agree!

I just summarized the e-mail I received from a Liqui Moly Technician in German and he did not recommend using both products at the same time.

Not at the same time, but it's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

It's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

Yes, but not necessary to use the Mos2 with Cera Tec every 30K.

I agree!

Not at the same time, but it's OK to use the MoS2 between 30k ceratec intervals, right?

In the case of my communications with them, it depends on who replied. One member of their staff said if you start with Ceratec you should continue with Ceratec, and the same goes for MoS2. Another person said it was fine to switch off. Several members here have switched off with no problems to report. My only beef is everyone at LM should be on the same page.
27.gif
That is not an attack against them or their products, I was stating what I learned by emailing them. For the record I occasionally use their products and had good results. IIRC other members emailed them and were told switching off is not a problem.

demarpaint:

I appreciate your contributions on this fine Forum and agree that the technicians at Liqui Moly should be on the same page, but there is enough data to give us a general idea that the products perform as advertised.

To summarize things from my perspective, I dug-up the following e-mail from Liqui-Moly of Germany last summer:

Quote:

To:
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2013 4:44:33 AM
Subject: Antwort: WG: Questions About Cera-Tec and Lubro-Moly MoS2

Hello Mr. ......

Sorry for being so late but I've had problems with me account.

Concerning your question about the CERA TEC - this is the best friction modifier we have at the moment. It's specially developed for aluminum based engines to protect the surface by chemical agents and solid lubricants.

We recommend a ratio of 5% - 6% because there may be an influence on the additive package of the oil. In combination - 5000 miles oil changing intervals and CERA TEC - I suggest the usage of CERA TEC at the first oil change and the usage of MoS2 based friction modifier the next 2 oil drains (to fill up the loss of the solid lubricant particles with the oil). The chemical component of the CERA TEC will stay in the surface for a long time and so you don't need to replenish it at every oil change.

The solid lubricant in both products protects the surface of the engine at every condition (specially in extreme conditions where the oil isn't able to build up a stable lubrication - engine starting - lubrication at the first moment, extreme pressure and hot conditions).

I hope I could help you and sorry again for the late answer.

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

Phone: +49 731 / 14 20 - 895
Mobile: +49 172 / 7 24 84 85
Fax: +49 731 / 14 20 - 44895

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
F & E / Anwendungstechnik
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost

Unquote

demarpaint:

I appreciate your contributions on this fine Forum and agree that the technicians at Liqui Moly should be on the same page, but there is enough data to give us a general idea that the products perform as advertised.

To summarize things from my perspective, I dug-up the following e-mail from Liqui-Moly of Germany last summer:

Quote:

To:

Hello Mr. ......

Concerning your question about the CERA TEC - this is the best friction modifier we have at the moment. It's specially developed for aluminum based engines to protect the surface by chemical agents and solid lubricants.

We recommend a ratio of 5% - 6% because there may be an influence on the additive package of the oil. In combination - 5000 miles oil changing intervals and CERA TEC - I suggest the usage of CERA TEC at the first oil change and the usage of MoS2 based friction modifier the next 2 oil drains (to fill up the loss of the solid lubricant particles with the oil). The chemical component of the CERA TEC will stay in the surface for a long time and so you don't need to replenish it at every oil change.

The solid lubricant in both products protects the surface of the engine at every condition (specially in extreme conditions where the oil isn't able to build up a stable lubrication - engine starting - lubrication at the first moment, extreme pressure and hot conditions).

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Unquote

Great. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the information.
Quick question, is the 5-6% replacing the oil or is it in addition to the the normal fill?

I subtract the additive from the normal amount of oil that otherwise would have been added.

However, most vehicles take more oil than is listed on the spec sheet so an extra 10-oz's won't hurt anything.

Cera Tec and MoS2 come in 300L bottles which is approximately 10-oz's.

demarpaint:

Quote:

To:

Hello Mr. ......

Best Regards from Ulm

I. A.

Harry Hartkorn
Anwendungstechniker
Application Engineer

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

www.liqui-moly.de

Unquote

Thanks for the kind words. I was just sharing my experience in communicating with two different people from LM a while back. As I already mentioned people are using both products, just don't use both at the same time and you should be fine. I think they make good products so I am in no way bashing them.

If Ceratec is a coating, why is it needed on new engine? Not only it is not needed, would it not lead to more problems? Think what coating is trying to do. It is trying to reduce the clearance between the cylinder bore and piston rings. If the engine is new, is the reduction advisable?

Additives in new engine seems counter productive and might lead to problems rather than solving any non-existent issues. It is like throwing unneeded antibiotic at a body. It will only do harm.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If Ceratec is a coating, why is it needed on new engine? Not only it is not needed, would it not lead to more problems? Think what coating is trying to do. It is trying to reduce the clearance between the cylinder bore and piston rings. If the engine is new, is the reduction advisable?

Additives in new engine seems counter productive and might lead to problems rather than solving any non-existent issues. It is like throwing unneeded antibiotic at a body. It will only do harm.

I feel that the coating will prevent metal on metal contact. I would rather use this now that there are no problems rather than use it when I have there are issues.

I don't think it is much of a coating as we think a coating should be like chrome or plasma or hard moly coating on rings.

I think its works on a micro level that would be hardly measurable even with a very accurate micrometer. That is not my concern, my concern is drop out.
I see it posted that these products stay mixed but my compressor says otherwise. I can see in the sump through a small glass, the Ceratec is in the corners of the sump and not mixed.
How much i cant say without tearing it apart which i am not going to do but some did definitely fall out of suspension.

I have no real interest in these products anymore, if people want to use them its their thing but as far as putting solids into the oil its not for me.
IMHO oils have gotten so good in the last few years they don't need any sort of "boost", back in the day i believe there was a place for them as the oils were junk in comparison.
I have an unopened bottle of this stuff here and am not comfortable putting it in anything.

I am not knocking the product or the company, its just my 2c.

Does the oil get hot in your compressor? I wonder if the oil needs to be hot for these additives to actually mix with the oil. But what if they separate once the oil temperature drops? That is not good either.

Does the oil get hot in your compressor? I wonder if the oil needs to be hot for these additives to actually mix with the oil. But what if they separate once the oil temperature drops? That is not good either.

That's a good question, I wonder what their response would be to Trav's observations.

The oil seems to get hot enough if i run it up from empty and really use it with high flow tools. Hot enough for any sort of a bonding, i have no idea.
My cars don't get used very much and sit all winter or all summer so drop out is a serious concern for me. Maybe on a daily driver its a non issue but i wouldn't put money on it.

I bought two bottles of Ceratec this week at a nearby NAPA warehouse for $12.00!!! I think the counter guy made a mistake...in fact I told him I didn't think the price was right. He looked at his computer and said the price was right. They had only two bottles on the rack and I bought both. I'll add the Ceratec at the next oil changes on my two vehicles. Both vehicles have a 6 qt sump...i'm thinking 1 bottle in each will be close to the recommended 6%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back