Acura RL & Nissan Xterra ATF fluid changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure both vehicles in my stable are due for ATF servicing.

Firstly is my 1998 Acura RL, (255k km, or 160k miles) what ATF is recommended for this? I think I'll be doing the pan-drop and fill method, really hoping that there is a drain plug.

Secondly is my 2002 Nissan Xterra, 3.3L v6 supercharged. 150k km (90k miles) It doesn't move much except to the dog park & grocery store, but also tows ~3500lbs into the mountains in the summer camping months.

I'd love suggestions on what fluid to buy so I can get that part taken care of, and then what the step by step process would be for doing a fluid swap.

Dropping the pan sounds easy, but the pan being large-ish wouldn't fluid come out everywhere? I don't know if my catchpan is big enough, lol.

Thanks for any tips or advice!

For the Acura I'd go with the Specced Honda ATF-Z1, which has been superseded by DW1, available at any Honda/Acura dealer and places like Amazon, perhaps a Indy parts store near you may carry it?

For the Xterra, easy. Valvoline's Maxlife ATF. Available almost everywhere, but good value @ Walmart's for $17 a gallon. Get 2 plus a quart bottle, it makes a great PSF in Nissan's too!
The Xterra definatly has a plug, just grab a new crush washer, (Hint, its the same one as for the oil plug)
The Acura should have a plug somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure.
Happy maintaining

On a vehicle that does not have a plug then park on a hill and remove the bolts on the lowest part of the pan. Let 3 or 4 quarts drain out and then tighten up a couple of bolts while you empty the catch pan. Then go back and let the rest drain out before removing the pan. Works for me every time, but then again my driveway looks like heck from all of the ATF and oil stains,
smile.gif

I concur with the 2 fluid recommendations. However if you want to just do a drain and fill with a pan drop. You won't need more than 1 gal unless you plan to do the drain and fill several times.

I personally prefer the drain, fill, pump out method. Changes all the fluid in one go rather than diluting old fluid with fresh at the rate of 30 to 40% at a time. You won't replace all the fluid with this method. You will be diluting it 2-3 times the previous fill, not from the beginning, so in theory, you will still have a significant amount of the old fluid remaining unless you do it many many times.

I used about 2-1/4 gals the last time I did it on my pathfinder. The reminder 3 quarts I used to flush the power steering using the same drain, fill pump method. Workes like a charm every time.

You will always have a difficult time collecting all the used fluid when you remove a transmission pan. I suggest that when you do this job, you get an OEM gasket and filter, most aftermarket pan gaskets and filters aren't as good as OEM.

I prefer doing a pan drop because there usually is some stuff that clings to the bottom of the pan, and fluid flushes don't remove it.

Is your Nissan a 4WD model? If so, you might as well do the transfer case fluid while you are underneath the car. It will only take a few more minutes. Check your manual to see what fluid it takes. Also, consider replacing the front and rear differential gear oil if you have not done so.

For the Acura RL, does it have a longitudinal engine? If it does, there is also separate differential in front which uses gear oil instead of ATF. Very few people know about that. Is your Acura AWD? If so, the rear differential might use "Honda dual pump fluid."

Check your manuals before changing gear oil, and if 80w90, 85w90, or SAE90 is required, buy a gallon of 80w90 gear oil and save some money.

Yeah the Nissan is 4wd, Acura is FWD and the engine is longitudinal (sp?)

I just got the RL on a hoist because it needs a muffler, and noticed the Transmission pan DOES have a drain plug, hurray! I'll probably pull the pan anyway just to inspect it & replace the gasket, everything under there seems to have a bit of oil on it. I'll be replacing the oilpan gasket as well. With OEM.

I'll definitely spend an afternoon with the Xterra making sure all the fluids are updated, it probably gets the harshest treatment of em all...

Last edited:
I did an oil change on the RL, and found that it was definitely over-filled. The same may be true for my ATF.

Just to check, if I drain with the drain-plug, then fill in the filler neck, what is the procedure to fill it whilst being sure not to over-fill?

Thanks!

You can find videos on You tube to do just about anything to your car.

I found videos to change Brakes and to change Engine Mounts and to replace ATF and timing belt video I found.

I have not had to do the timing belt since it was done at 120K so I have time left.

but my point is look on you tube and you can find anything you need
smile.gif

here is Xterra ATF Change video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS_pUKd2Pag

and the Acura RL I take it is a 3.2 V6 and it has a Trans filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh5APvQZoKk

and here is how to remove the ATF FLUID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-y-B95Rbo

Its very simular to HONDA.. Well ACURA is basically HONDA.. but I was happy to see ACURA put a Trans filter in this transmission and the video shows
smile.gif

Hope this helps

Hope live links allowed

These videos have always helped me even if they are not the exact year. Most times if they are only a few years differnce it will still be the same Trannny.

Last edited:
I guess I should buy a cheap measuring jug from the thrift store to measure how much fluid I removed? Or replenish until the dipstick shows proper amount?

Because I'm having an issue with the revs rising before shifting into 4th gear, I've decided to bring it to my local Transmission shop whom I trust to double check everything...

While it's there I'll get them to replace the fluid/filter for me
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
Because I'm having an issue with the revs rising before shifting into 4th gear, I've decided to bring it to my local Transmission shop whom I trust to double check everything...

While it's there I'll get them to replace the fluid/filter for me
smile.gif

If you watch the video you can see at the end he has to actually add a lil bit.

you cant mess it up... even if you over fill a tad , just remove a lil.

this is a DIY site.... to learn how to DIY.....

why spend 100%

also some of them transmission places can cause more harm them good.

They use them machines to suck out the ATF and it causes all kinds of problems.

Well I went to the shop, and he actually recommends leaving the current fluid in there due to the 4th gear shift issue.. It revs before going into gear, and he says that's not a good sign.. and not something that can be fixed without a complete overhaul.

I still want to change some of the fluid so I grabbed a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife ATF, which meets the Honda ATF-Z1 certification...

So now do I replace fluid against a transmission shop's suggestion, or do I just leave it and drive it? The fluid in there is pink and not burnt, he did assure me that it's not burnt.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: GoStumpy
Well I went to the shop, and he actually recommends leaving the current fluid in there due to the 4th gear shift issue.. It revs before going into gear, and he says that's not a good sign.. and not something that can be fixed without a complete overhaul.

I still want to change some of the fluid so I grabbed a gallon of Valvoline Maxlife ATF, which meets the Honda ATF-Z1 certification...

So now do I replace fluid against a transmission shop's suggestion, or do I just leave it and drive it? The fluid in there is pink and not burnt, he did assure me that it's not burnt.

Thoughts?

I would do a lil bit at a time.

drain 3 Quarts and then put in 3 Quarts of the Max LIFE.....

then drive it and see if its better....

also I would suggest some Lubeguard or Lucas... Lubegaurd seems to be more regaurded here so I would try that.

Whatever you do.. do not do a 3x drain and fill.

do 1 drain and fill first then wait at least a week or 2....

I bet it will react better after 1 drain and fill.

please let us know the results.

Also ATF Z-1 was repleaced by DW-1 and Im a person who really belives to use HONDA ATF in a ACURA or HONDA Automatic Tranny.

However since yours is having some trouble, I do not think the Maxx Life can hurt.

plus the Maxx life is 100% Synthetic and DW-1 is not.

I really wondering what comes of this.

However as I said do 1 drain and fill.....

My Dad on his Honda did 3 drain and fills and his transmission died 3 weeks later...

I told him to only do 1 drain and fill and wait.....

but NOPE.. he did 3 in the same day... and when they took the trans apart and I was at the transmission shop with him... The AT Filter was so clogged b/c the new ATF did so much cleaning that the filter could not keep up. Also Im happy to say Honda replaced that old Filter with a shinny new one that has no filter element but just a screen to catch large parts, this way the filter cant become clogged

here is video

this is why I said only do 1.

it might be all you need.

also some DR Tranny Shudder fix could help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back