Is 75k considered high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
75k is not high miles for an engine that has had oil changed regularly. I know there are some people out there that buy a car and never change the oil, in which case 75k can be high miles. I didn't go to a High Mileage oil in my Camaro until 150k, and that was mostly to get the higher zddp level of an SL oil. A side benefit was that it slowed oil consumption by ~25%. I think the decision to go to HM oil should be driven more by a desire to reduce oil consumption or seal seepage than by what the odometer says.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican

AMSOIL. "Does your car have over 75,000 miles? Seeking a high mileage oil? Have oil consumption? Consider one of the oils below instead!"

Can I have link? I just don't remember that.

I don't like the push for high mileage oils. It's misleading. I've used it in an oil burner to slow consumption and that's about it. Never had any leaks of substantial amount, even on my old expedition I owned at 200k miles. It leaked, but around the pan gasket and barely enough to warrant a need for HM oil.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

AMSOIL. "Does your car have over 75,000 miles? Seeking a high mileage oil? Have oil consumption? Consider one of the oils below instead!"

Ohhh $hit Pablo's here. You just had to open a whole can of worms AMSOIL didn't you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what oil company said that???High mileage oil is good if your car is leaking or burning a lot of oil... Sometimes hm oil works well

75,000 is not the number... Its when you see the seals leaking or blue smoke out your tail pipe

Was this off Amsoil's site itself, or one of the dealer's independent websites?

If the former (I am dubious), I am not impressed.

If (and I expect it to be) the later, I would do business with another dealer based solely on the quality (and lack thereof) of information that one is putting out there.

Last edited:
75,000 is not the number... Its when you see the seals leaking or blue smoke out your tail pipe

+1

I don't even look at the odometer when making the decision to switch to HM

what oil company said that???High mileage oil is good if your car is leaking or burning a lot of oil... Sometimes hm oil works well

10 seconds worth of searching on the Internet would have revealed that the following also claim 75,000 is the "high mileage" mark at which high mileage oils should be considered.

Mobil

Pennzoil

And no, I don't get suckered into the hype. The only time I've used a high mileage oil is when it's been the least expensive oil on the shelf when I'm ready to purchase.

75,000 miles can be a walk in the park, or an engine that's ready for a rebuild. It depends on how those 75,000 miles were logged. 75,000 miles of short hops and the engine never reaching operating temps can have more impact than 300,000 miles or more of highway driving.

{removed non site sponsor link}

Look down the page in a yellow box.
This is for a Cadillac I was looking for Toyota Sienna.
This is a authorized AMSOIL dealer, not the actual website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pablo,

FYI, I am running ow20 signature in my corolla with an AMSOIL filter.

I find it easier to research BITOG thru google by typing it then my question. This site popped up. It was just one on the many 1000's of sites that popped up, but it was on the first page so I looked.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
75,000 miles can be a walk in the park, or an engine that's ready for a rebuild. It depends on how those 75,000 miles were logged. 75,000 miles of short hops and the engine never reaching operating temps can have more impact than 300,000 miles or more of highway driving.

Exactly. My F-150, terribly abused by the PO, comes to mind.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO, no. Never used hm oil on any vehicle up to 200k.

Meaning don't use hm oil on anything less than 200k?

Nope, I am simply saying that I never used hm oil on any vehicle up to 200k. I haven't had oil leaks in anything I've owned, and even prior to BITOG I was an oil change fanatic. I've also never had a vehicle with more than 200k on it....

Look down the page in a yellow box.
This is for a Cadillac I was looking for Toyota Sienna.
This is a authorized AMSOIL dealer, not the actual website.

That is his statement. Amsoil NEVER said that. Thanks.

This thread reminded me of the mechanic that told my father-in-law that his engine needed rebuilding.

Why, he asked.

"Because it's already been two years since it's last repair."

We have had a few cars that clocked over 200K.
None of those got HM oil.
I've used Maxlife in applications I thought might benefit from it, and it is arguably Valvoline's best oil.
The need for an HM oil is more a matter of observed conditions than of miles run.
If you have a leaky old German engine like one of ours, then something like Maxlife might be worth using.
If you have a typically tight Japanese engine, then there might be no need to use an HM oil without regard to the miles run.
If an engine is neither leaking nor consuming much oil, there's no need for an HM oil, although you might choose one anyway based upon a possibly superior basestock blend and additive package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back