Check those filters when buying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at Meijer tonight, I made my usual trip to the oil aisle to see what was on sale. I was looking over the oil filters and compared Fram Ultra to Mobil 1 EP. When I opened the M1 filter to compare it to the Ultra, to my surprise there was a plain ole Fram Extra Guard in there. If you don't already check the contents of your filter box before buying it, this is reason to start that habit.
13974639242_6f5744e109.jpg

Actually one swap where the guy got an upgrade. The funniest one i saw was where someone went to the trouble to put a TG inside a Bosch D clear box so they could get a Bosch D for a TG price, which was about a $5 savings.

I've seen orange cans put in Ultra boxes at Walmart. Yes, by all means check the box for the right filter, and check the filter for flaws before buying.

Local Pep Boys cashier checks the contain of the filter most of the times before he/she rings up the price. The cashier always check the contain of return filters.

Last edited:
I once bought a Puro classic filter at Wally and got it home to find that it had already been used. I didn't even notice the weight difference. I always check all filters before buying now.....

BTW it wasn't worth the hassle to return so I just chucked it in the trash

Checking the oil filter box contents is SOP for me.

I used to work at a "Big A" auto parts store and we used to always get oil filters from the distribution center that were missing gaskets.

I can't recall who supplied Big A with there oil filters back in the 1980's.

I too have seen this at W*M especially!
But, we also have to watch that even the wrong part number of the proper brand filter is in the boxes. As many folks like us who compare filters from amongst the same brands, even put back the wrong filter(s) in the boxes, sometimes mistakenly!

Darn Indiana folk!

This is why I like the sealing stickers on the TG and Ultra boxes.

Last edited:
That is a very common occurrence here. I instinctively open all the filter boxes, without giving it any thought at all. It's like breathing or a heart beat, lol. I guess it goes with the territory.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That is a very common occurrence here. I instinctively open all the filter boxes, without giving it any thought at all. It's like breathing or a heart beat, lol. I guess it goes with the territory.

Geez!!

Originally Posted By: Pat in Speedway
While at Meijer tonight...

Wait, I thought this only happened at WM.
wink.gif

But best practice for many reasons says, where practicable check/examine all filters before purchase.

Originally Posted By: Turk
They should put "Tamper Proof" seals on the opening.

Won't help. I was at Wally's last week and the entire stock of PF457G boxes were opened for some reason. Since the flaps were once glued together, there was no way for the knucklehead who opened the boxes to reseal them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back